Philips 32" curved screen HD monitor at Wal-Mart -- impressions?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Barrett, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Barrett

Barrett Auditioning

Hello all,

My mom&pop-in-law are in the market for a 32" TV. I think I can convince them to spend $800, but not a penny more. Wal-Mart is carrying a 32" Philips HD-ready set with a standard curved screen. Does anyone have any experience with this set? I'm keeping an eye on Samsung HD close-out models, as well as their progressive-scan (480p) set, but I can't help but be curious about this Philips model. I can't find info on Philips's website, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Any thoughts on the quality of this TV? Thanks!

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

hmmmm 2 words here that should indicate quality well 3 really.....Wal-Mart & Phillips Need I say more.

3. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Well Jeremy, more wouldn't hurt. Philips is a less-than-quality brand? Certainly some of Wal-Mart's TV's are made with less expensive parts just for them, but not all; maybe this is one of them, I think it probably is; it may only mean its cheaper but still good quality. Barrett, I have seen the set your talking about, and it wouldn't be top on my list. I saw it hooked up with HD and it didn't look as good as some of the other sets; it was fuzzier and duller, although maybe its fine and just needs to be adjusted. I can't really comment on build quality, but I admit that it didn't seem to be top-notch for some reason. For $800, I'd skip this one myself, but maybe someone else here has the set and can say differently.

Stephen

4. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Barrett, I know you said not a penny over $800, but I at least wanted to mention this since its such a great deal. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1 Apparently the deal is still on since the post says till July 27th. This is a pro-quality product, doing 480p, 1080i and 720p, and is a computer monitor, for high resolution VGA hookup. Normally a monitor like this would be twice the price, and anything else you look at in this price range won't be able to touch it by a long shot in any aspect of quality. I notice the 2 year parts/labor/crt on site warranty, which might justify spending the extra money. Don't mean to patronize you or anything, but I do recommend this and if I had an extra $300, I'd return the set I just bought and pick this one up in a heartbeat, no joke. Then again, I didn't read all 23 pages of the post so maybe the deal's over; it might be worth a few minutes of your time to look into it though.

Stephen