What's new

Philips 30PW850H for bedroom system? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm putting together a system for the bedroom of the apartment i'll be in this fall. It'll be mainly for casual TV and DVD viewing as well as PS2 and X-Box. It's more to take some of the load off my front projection system in the main room. The bedroom receiver will be a Kenwood VR-6060 and the speakers/sub will be an AVS-5.1 package. Progressive scan DVD will come from my PS2+ or possibly a Denon DVD-910 if ecost gets anymore in anytime soon. I may also have HD Cable via comcast IF they are able to put HD in both the main room and the bedroom.

I had been considering the Philips 32PT740H which is a 32" non-flat 4:3 HDTV which I could get from walmart for $500. I've now come across a reputable internet retailer who has 30PW850H's for $600 and free shipping. They are factory refurbished and shipped directly from Philips. It's a 30" flat 16:9 HDTV. I like the idea of having a flat set but it's not a much. Widescreen is also attractive and I think it would give the set alot more staying power with there being more and more 16:9 HD content available. It'll also be used for a fair amount of DVD viewing so widescreen looks better and better, even though I'd be getting roughly the same amount of 16:9 screen area on a 4:3 32" set.

So mainly I'm asking what you would do given these 2 options? 30" flat 16:9 HD for $600 shipped vs. 32" non-flat 4:3 HD for $500 + tax ($537.50 with tax)?

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I guess you'll have to decide for yourself on the comparison. I have the 850h and flat out love it!!! The question is: how much 4:3 are you going to watch?(size factor)
I always watch mine in zoom modes and never watch 4:3 aspect.
This unit really shines when watching dvd's, if you actually get Hd programming you'll, no doubt, be very happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digital Dan