What's new

Philips 30" wide VS Samsung 30" wide! (1 Viewer)

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I know this question has been asked once in the past, but it's been a while, and I'm hoping to get more than one post in response, so: The dead horse gets another whack.

I just came across $400 on a scratch lottery ticket, and I no longer have to wait for the HD dream. I'm looking at the Philips 30PW850H and the Samsung TXN3071WHF. Both appear to be solid sets and I have compared them literally side by side, but the feeds in Best Buy suck. They are 10% off with another 100 back when I sign up with the local HD broadcaster. So this is a steal for me.

Any input, positive or negative, about either set is greatly appreciated, or just a general preference. I know my eyes will be the final judge, but I'd like to hear others opinions/stories/experiences with the sets.

Thanks a million in advance!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Both sets seem to have their knocks / quirks.

Maybe the one that is the absolute lowest price perhaps.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I have the very same Philips that you are looking at
I am new to HDTV and this is by far better than my old set.
It is a very nice picture, see if BEST BUY will hook up a dvd player to it, that's going to be the true measure, I was simply amazed at the picture quality when composite cables are used. I looked at the samsung but it was another 100.00
good luck, with the purchase and keep us informed

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you really want to compare them I would buy one from Best Buy & one from Circuit City & then put them side by side to compare. That way you could check out all the features beside picture quality like Sound, Menus, The Remote & etc & then keep the one you like & take the other one back.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Make sure that you have a chance to compare the sets with the settings in ‘normal’ instead of ‘vivid’ mode.

I own the Samsung and it is a solid set. I’ve seen the Phillips on display and it appears to also be very good. This probably does not help, but either way you should be pleased.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For what it's worth from Consumer Reports December 2003

HDTV's DISPLAYING AN HDTV PICTURE:

1. Sony 36" KV-36HS510
Picture Quality: EXCELLENT, Antenna Input: GOOD,
S-Video Input: EXCELLENT, Sound Quality: EXCELLENT

2. Panasonic 32" CT-32HL43
Picture Quality: VERY GOOD, Antenna Input: VERY GOOD,
S-Video Input: VERY GOOD, Sound Quality: EXCELLENT

3. Panasonic 36" CT-36HL43
Picture Quality: VERY GOOD, Antenna Input: VERY GOOD,
S-Video Input: VERY GOOD, Sound Quality: EXCELLENT

4. Philips 30" 30PW850H
Picture Quality: GOOD, Antenna Input: EXCELLENT,

5. Sanyo 32" (Non-Flat Tube) DS32830H
Picture Quality: GOOD, Antenna Input: VERY GOOD,
S-Video Input: VERY GOOD, Sound Quality: VERY GOOD

6. Philips 34" 34PW9819
Picture Quality: FAIR, Antenna Input: EXCELLENT,

They din't test any Samsung's for this report.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Bill.

My primary interest is DVD picture quality (as with most of us, I'll be using external speakers and will also be using component video). Interesting re the Philips sets: the 30PW850H got a marginally higher video quality ranking than the higher-priced (larger) 34PW9819. Too bad these rankings weren't both better.

It's arguably kinda problematic for Consumer Reports to have compared 32", 34" and 36" sets, some of which are 4:3 and some of which are 16:9. I think most video mags would have evaluated the different types of sets separately instead of grouping them all together under the too-broad category of 'HDTV-capable.'

-p

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've had only trouble with my Philips. I'd say avoid at all costs (see other thread on this matter).

If you plan on watching any films in full screen (anything shot before the mid-50s, TV shows, etc) DO NOT get the Philips because it will not display your image properly.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
If you read my other posts on this monitor, you'll see that DVD is where this unit really goes to work, the picture is incredible and so far no qualms about spending the extra cash for HD ready.
Samuel, sorry you had so much trouble..

John S

Senior HTF Member
Samual, I sort of think if you really want to display that stuff, your better off with a 4:3 set, that can also do native 16:9 HDTV and EDTV. I screen a lot of old movies, and they look great on my 60" Philips RPTV.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Adam:

Did you pull the trigger? The 30PW850H was removed from my local Costco's shelves a month ago--ostensibly in preparation for the arrival of Philips' newer 30" 16:9 model--only to reappear this past weekend for $699.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I've posted about this elsewhere, but am wanting increase my chances of a possible response:

I'm having a banding issue with my Philips 30PW850H: I'm seeing a ghost pattern of faint, vertical, gray-ish bars on the left side of the picture. There are about seven of them, equidistant, fixed, about 3/4" wide, evenly spaced from each other and they are less distinct at their edges but become a little more distinct in the center of each. They're most visible against a white/light colored background and can be seen when watching broadcast TV or watching DVDs. Has any one seen this, have comments/ideas speculation as to what might be causing this?

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks