Philippe Noiret (Il Postino/Cinema Paradiso) Dies

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This was mentioned yesterday in the Cinema Paradiso thread but I thought it deserved more notice. This actor was loved.

"Above all a French star, Noiret had his share of international acclaim, notably in Guiseppe Tornatore's 1988 "Cinema Paradiso" and in the 1994 hit "Il Postino," (The Postman) in which he played Pablo Neruda, a poet and diplomat who counsels his mailman."

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sorry to hear it - he was always a pleasure to watch.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sad to hear. I believe the only two films I've seen with him are the ones mentioned in the title. He was great in both, and I was actually quite surprised to find out the two parts were played by the same guy! Cinema Paradiso is a favorite of mine, so it's sad.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
There is now a real New York Times obit!

A sample:

"Mr. Noiret frequently appeared in movies with his wife, the actress Monique Chaumette, whom he married in 1962. She and their daughter, Frédérique, survive him.

In France, one of his finest roles was that of Major Delaplane, a French Army officer charged with organizing war memorials after World War I, in Bertrand Tavernier’s 1989 “La Vie et Rien d’Autre” (“Life and Nothing But”). For this role, he won a César, the French equivalent of an Oscar. He won his first César for best actor in Robert Enrico’s 1975 “Le Vieux Fusil” (“The Old Gun”).

Mr. Tavernier, who made eight films with Mr. Noiret, was among numerous directors to remember him fondly. “He was a friend, a brother, someone I could count on for every adventure and whom I tried to serve by giving him different characters to play,” he told the radio station RTL on Friday.

An outpouring of tributes underscored the special affection Mr. Noiret enjoyed in France. President Jacques Chirac hailed him as “one of theater’s and cinema’s most outstanding and engaging people.” Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin said he “captured and expressed something of the French soul.”
"

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper