What's new

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (Amazon Prime) (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so this now has a premier date of 1/12/2018, six days away, between Christmas Vacation and 2 snow days now, i have been trying to see what is on the horizon. I am hoping that this has the same quality that The Man in the High Castle, has set the bar for. I am beginning to believe that the future of quality programing lies in these outlets, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and the few channels willing to take a gamble on something original or edgy. The cast looks amazing, and with it being Dick's work you could tell the same story six times and it be different every time.

MV5BNGY4OTBiMTktMDM4Zi00MjVhLTgyNjctOGYzNGM5YzBlMjU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI4OTg2Njg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
electric_dreams.jpg

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am also excited about seeing this. I'm sure some of our members across the pond can post and let us know their thoughts, since it was already shown on Channel 4 in the UK.

I am beginning to believe that the future of quality programing lies in these outlets, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and the few channels willing to take a gamble on something original or edgy.
I read this was originally a joint venture between Chan4 and AMC, before AMC backed out and Amazon joined in. I think it is only a matter of time before the major networks start to raise their game. At least I hope so.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I've seen the first six episodes (it was also shown here in Canada), and thought they were all great. No truly amazing standout episodes like in Black Mirror, but every episode managed to capture the Phillip K. Dick essence. "The Hood Maker" was the most like Blade Runner, and one of my favourite episodes. My favourite episode was "Real Life" with Anna Paquin and Terrence Howard.

I'll hold off on more discussion until the episodes have all aired for our American friends.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I think it is only a matter of time before the major networks start to raise their game. At least I hope so.

occasionally a glimmer of something new, but i think it will be a lot longer than we may hope for, just from the media giants, now that disney owns FOX, how long before the sanitization of FOX and FX and FXX begin.And most network programs are mindless fodder for the masses to pace time with, (American Gods nails that home), I think those other venues are more willing to take the chance or gamble, because viewership and buzz from word of mouth are the driving factor, as opposed to the networks, who can give you a hour long program, that is really only 38 min, if you are lucky, because of the commercials, just like MTV, one day we will be subjected to a channel of nothing but commercials, oh wait, HSN,

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I forgot this started the 12th. I hope to start this sometime this week. It’ll be a good time since Blade Runneer 2049 is out Tuesday which I can’t wait to see again.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure some of our members across the pond can post and let us know their thoughts, since it was already shown on Channel 4 in the UK.

Actually, only six episodes were shown on 4 in 2017. After the sixth one, a voice-over said the remaining episodes would be screened "early in the new year".

It has been said that half of the episodes were produced in the UK and half were produced in the US. If a UK crew made the UK episodes and a US crew made the US ones, I wonder if they were made to different HD standards? For example, the UK standard is 1080i/50 (with filmed content shot at 25fps), while the US standard is 60HZ (with film often shot as 24fps). I wonder if each country shot their episodes to their own HD standard, or if everything was shot uniform, then standards-converted for the other market?

I've also heard that there is to be a second season, and that it will be produced totally in the UK.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I've also heard that there is to be a second season, and that it will be produced totally in the UK.

Why is that? Too much trouble for two crews? Cost?

Anyway, I forgot that on Amazon, you need to scroll down to get to the UHD version of the show so I watched the first two episodes in 1080p. When I saw the UHD version, I felt like an idiot.

The first two episodes were pretty good. I'd watch more if it weren't a work night.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Why is that? Too much trouble for two crews? Cost?

No idea. Maybe Channel 4 were cheesed off about being outbid on series 3 of Black Mirror? Or, maybe, they were only willing to pay for half of the production of series 1 of Dreams, but it performed well enough that they are willing to pay for/produce the whole thing next time around?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I have one more to go (Safe and Sound). Fair or not, the series is being compared to Black Mirror and isn't quite ip to that level of consistency. There have been a couple of clunkers and a bunch of okay episodes and a couple of pretty good ones. But Autofac was truly excellent, up there with the top tier Black Mirror episodes. The series is worth watching, but Autofac is a must see.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I thought Autofac was decent, but not as good as The Hood Maker, Real Life, or The Commuter (which I forgot to mention above as being one of my favourite episodes).

I would watch an entire series based off of The Hood Maker.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I just finished watching Safe and Sound, which I thought to be another great episode. In particular, the lead, Annalise Basso, is a genuine star; she carried every single scene and delivered a nuanced performance.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
In the middle of episode 3. I'm enjoying it so far.

I thought both Real Life and Autofac were solid updates of PKD ideas.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Safe and Sound was a really good episode. As a kid I remember reading the PKD story, "Foster, You're Dead." I don't think this follows the story that closely, but it got the spirit of PKD really well imho.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This series fills a avoid for me. I'm a huge fan of shows like The Outer Limits, especially the updated 1990s edition. Yes, I love the older outer limits, and some fluff in the Showtime series, but some great eps too.. I need more non-serialized programming, and these shows in a bottle are really a fun way to watch at your own pace and get something unique

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Is there going to be a second season of Electric Dreams, or is it one and done.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks