What's new

Philadelphia is jealous of Phoenix. (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Apparently Phoenix passed Philadelphia as the 5th largest city in the US yesterday. Somebody in Philly isn't too happy about it: http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/6262456.htm - This has got to be the most pathetic opinion column I've ever read. How can you be so jealous of something so trivial? That list he provides to "prove" that Phoenix is a terrible place. I know it would be very easy to make a similair list about Philly.

I found this to be abosolutey hilarious, and thought I'd share.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
All they need to do is build a maximum security prison outside Philly to be back in the running, like that small town who doubled their population a couple of years ago by doing the same thing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When grassroots forces were pushing to secede from Los Angeles last year (the San Fernando Valley and Hollywood), it really did bug me that we'd have to hand over the "second-largest-city-in-the-U.S." distinction back to Chicago. Thankfully, the secession forces failed, and L.A.'s still as big and as inefficient as it ever was.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Cedric Ceballos, 1994. On the night his team was knocked out of the NBA playoffs, he and Charles Barkley allegedly hosted a sex party where center Oliver Miller, aka Pig, was accused of assaulting a woman. No arrests.
So Ceballos didn't actually DO anything other than throw the party? Keep reaching, Donnie boy, maybe you'll get your brotherly ass sued...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A city? The burg wasn't even a part of the United States till 1912. We've got parking meters older'n that.
:laugh: Parking Meters older than 1912?

----- Although it is sometimes disputed, Carl C. Magee, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, is generally credited with originating the parking meter. He filed for a patent for a "coin controlled parking meter" May 13, 1935. The patent, #2,118,318, was issued May 24, 1938.

This guy obviously has no clue what he's talking about.

Dear Don Russel,
Get over it! Who the hell cares!
-Mark Hastings

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This is supposed to be a humorous article, that is tongue and cheek in light of the Phoenix area passing Philly in population. It was originally run in the Daily News which is more of the tabloid paper in Philadelphia (think NY Post), and quite often has pieces like this one. If you are taking the article seriously in anyway, then you are taking it completely wrong and out of context.

J

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Its called humor. I'm sure this guy doesn't really care either.

Phoenix is only passing Philly in population size (even though the Philadelphia *area* would GREATLY exceed Phoenix and #4 Houston).

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If it was intended as satire, shouldn't it be, y'know, like funny and stuff? ;)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Oh, and from what I read, Phoenix isn't expected to exceed Philly until May of 2004. And they are already predicting San Diego to surpass Philly by 2015. :)

I was looking at this census webpage: http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/c...EST2002-01.php.

Interesting table. I never realized Boston was so small. I never knew Baltimore was bigger than Boston. nor did I know San Jose was bigger than San Francisco.

Allentown - #220!!! Yeah, baby!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That would NEVER happen on the internet!
LMAO. Like there aren't people out there that would write such an article in all honesty.

Really? There are people out there that have a skewed view of the world?
It's sometimes hard to tell what's real and what's fake now a days on the internet.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Interesting table. I never realized Boston was so small. I never knew Baltimore was bigger than Boston. nor did I know San Jose was bigger than San Francisco.
I am even more surprised by Atlanta(41) and Miami(47). It seems only the actual cities are listed, rather than the metro areas.

--
Holadem

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The biggest surprise to me was the monumental difference between #1 and #2. NY is more then double :eek:.

LA, Chicago and Houston would have to combine in order to get #1...Damn!

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
This is supposed to be a humorous article, that is tongue and cheek in light of the Phoenix area passing Philly in population. It was originally run in the Daily News which is more of the tabloid paper in Philadelphia (think NY Post), and quite often has pieces like this one. If you are taking the article seriously in anyway, then you are taking it completely wrong and out of context.
I'm sorry, I've never read this paper, somebody mearly sent me the link. If he was trying to be funny, I think the writer did a terrible job of it. It came off as serious, with a bit of humor thrown in. I guess it was his quoting of the statistics that made me take it seriously.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Eh, I thought it was pretty funny and made a few good points, such as that there is no relationship between the population of a city and it's quality of life, and that the Phoenix is the city of the future - on big suburb.

The population decline of Philadelphia is actually interesting. It's a city that in theory should function perfectly (perfectly laid out, lots of culture and entertainment, tons of parks - second largest inner-city park in the world, winter is never that cold or snowy, great food, prices are low compared to most major cities, and it's located close to DC and NYC), only it's been crippled by corrupt politics and a state legislature bent on trying to destroy it.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
It's apples and oranges, San Francisco is only 49 square miles: LA has parking lots bigger than that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks