What's new

Phil Ramone Interview....His take on Hi-Rez "War" (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I think he has got it right. Now just the picking running the music busines need to listen:

"More recently, Ramone produced tracks for Rod Stewart's hit album As Time Goes By... The Great American Songbook Vol. II, which debuted at No. 2 on Billboard's Nov. 8 Top 200 chart. Format-agnostic, Ramone is currently remixing in 5.1 for DVD-Audio Paul Simon's Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints (both Warner). He remixed in 5.1 Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, for which he was the original engineer, for a recent Super Audio CD reissue on Sony Legacy. (Ramone would like to see the DVD-Audio and SACD proponents make peace.) He's also producing the music for a forthcoming film about the late singer Bobby Darin, starring and to be directed by Kevin Spacey.

Ramone, a nine-time Grammy winner, is chairman emeritus of the board of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (NARAS), and serves as chairman of NARAS's Producers and Engineers Wing.

In an exclusive interview with Medialine, Ramone explained why the industry must embrace electronic delivery and resolve the current DVD-Audio vs. Super Audio CD debate."

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
His Dylan remixes are wonderful... I cannot wait for Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks Steve for a very interesting article...some observations:

1. I like visual experiences as well but these are less important in my mind to boomers and audiophiles. Maybe this is changing as more people set up home theaters.

2. Quality is definitely critical, but the market has to find out about the quality also.

3. Graceland on DVDA is going to be awesome. One of my all time favorites. Hirez will really bring out the midrange clarity on this. I liked ROTS also but the record engineering was ugly, so I am not sure how good the master tapes are. It sounded like s**t even on my Maggies. The redbook was however done a few years ago so a new mastering in hirez may be altogether different, excepting any tape problems.

4. I like his ideas about downloaded singles being a lead-in for CD purchases like 45s were. Interesting analogy...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
God forbid you'd say today that the CD will be gone soon. (The music industry) had a 25-year ride on the CD
I saw thic comment before,but how could the format be 25 years old when the first player in the US was sold in March of 1983[20 years ago]?
I know it's sort of "out of topic" but I just wondered what I'm missing here.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lewis, don't think you are missing anything. I had a CD player the 1st week it was out and they were expensive. I got mine by getting a bunch of people lined up for a dealer friend so he could get a bigger quantity and paid dealer cost which was still not cheap since the player was $1,100 list price, which by today's stds. would be bested by many cheap players. I still kept my turntable though, along with my Burwen Transient Noise Eliminator, as the the sound of the new medium was w/o pops and clicks but still not perfected.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Good article, he has interesting thoughts and no apparent bias.

I remember that Graceland was mostly recorded to 24-track analog and mixed down to an analog master so I'm thinking we may get a great sounding surround mix and a good upgrade of the stereo mix.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I remember that Graceland was mostly recorded to 24-track analog and mixed down to an analog master so I'm thinking we may get a great sounding surround mix and a good upgrade of the stereo mix.
I agree Michael, if he goes from analog to 24/96 (or might we dream 24/192) then we are in for a real treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks