Phil Lesh SACD - Now in stock at Elusive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Emil Stoica, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil, what kind of music is this? There has been a fair bit of talk about Phil Lesh here and on Audio Asylum, but I am not familiar with him. [​IMG]
    A local shop I went to in New Jersey last night did not have the Lesh SACD, but they had the new Joe Satriani and Earth, Wind & Fire SACDs. I didn't buy them since their prices are a bit high ($21.99 each). Also, I'd like to see some reviews first.

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I listen to alot of Phil & Friends live, probably a few concerts a week, and I've only listened to the There and Back Again CD once or twice. It's good and some of the songs that feature collaboration with Robert Hunter are decent, but it's completely different than the live experience.

I'm hoping my quest to get tix to the Other Ones is successful. Got denied for Phish NYE @ MSG tix, but that's okay.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, now that you mention it, I remember seeing Phil Lesh being associated with The Grateful Dead. I am not a Dead Head, but the association rings a bell. In any event, the SACD sounds intriguing. Perhaps I'll check it out.

Yes, I did see the Satriani and Earth, Wind & Fire SACDs at Compact Disc World (Lawrenceville store). $21.99 didn't seem right, but all of the recent Sony multi-channel SACDs have been coming in there for that price (e.g., Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills and Celine Dion A New Day Has Come). It would be nice if they just changed the price on the discs so that we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of asking all the time. They did adjust the prices of Warner and Silverline DVD-Audio discs recently.

6. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Keith,

Like you, I am also not a dead head. However, I did have a friend lend me this disc on CD. It was not what I expected. The closest thing I can compare it to is Springsteen like arena rock. There are some enjoyable tracks. There are some samples on Amazon's site.

As for the other 2 discs, I liked both the new Earth Wind & Fire and the Joe Satriani discs. EWF has very strong vocals and almost sounds to good to be live. Like Gratitude, Live has a near studio quality that most live recordings never have. In particular, "Sun Goddess" and "That's the way of the world" are strong tracks. As to the Satriani disc, it shows some impressive panning effects and has a great version of "Sleep Walk" that will stay in your head. It does sound like a PCM recording so be warned if you are a DSD head. However, he still has not surpassed the greatness of Surfing with the Alien, IMO.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil, thanks for the comments. I have Gratitude on CD, but I haven't gotten around to picking it up on SACD yet. Lately, I have been on an Earth, Wind & Fire kick (just picked up The Essential Earth, Wind & Fire two-CD set last night), so I will have to grab the SACDs. I am glad to hear that they sound so good. I'll probably get the new Satriani SACD as well. I have Engines of Creation on CD and SACD, and the music is great. The SACD sounds incredible. Still, I keep hoping that Sony will give us Surfing with the Alien on SACD. What an incredible album.

8. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Keith,

If you are in an EWF mood, I would recommend you grab the Japanese SACD release of "All 'N All". A little pricey but worth the money.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a SACD of "Surfing with the Alien." I would image that would be stunning.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil, I was not aware that All 'N All was available as a JSACD. I'll have to check that out. I guess www.hmv.co.jp would be the best place to look for it.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil, I just saw two Earth, Wind & Fire SACDs on www.hmv.co.jp that aren't available in the US. In addition, there are now many Miles Davis SACDs available in Japan that are not available here. Hopefully Sony will make an effort to even things out. I'd love to have Bitches Brew on SACD, but I am not eager to pay for the JSACD. It will probably come out here eventually.

11. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Keith,

HMV is where I received All 'N All. The other disc they are showing is actually the Live disc that Sony just released here. All 'N All is the only disc released exclusively in Japan, so far.

Yep, there are quite a few Miles discs in Japan not here in the US. Sony just released Sorcerer a couple of weeks ago. I wish Sony US would catch up.

At least HMV is a good store. With quick delivery and their membership point discounts, it helps off-set the sting to the wallet a bit.

NP: T-Square : Magic SACD

12. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

For those interested, here are all the Miles titles available in Japan only:

A Tribute To Jack Johnson
    Bitches Brew
    E.S.P.
    Filles De Kilimanjaro
    Four And More
    In Person, Friday Night At The Blackhawk, San Francisco
    In Person, Saturday Night At The Blackhawk, San Francisco
    Miles Ahead
    Milestones
    My Funny Valentine
    Nefertiti
    On The Corner
    Porgy And Bess
    Seven Steps To Heaven
    Someday My Prince Will Come
    Sorcerer
    The Man With The Horn
    You're Under Arrest

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil, I only looked on HMV's Japan web site quickly and did not think that the other Earth, Wind & Fire SACD listed was Alive in '75. I should have figured it was since anything released on SACD here is released in Japan. Unfortunately, the converse is not true. [​IMG]

14. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

Just picked up phil & friends, it sounds pretty good to me. I've never been a dead fan but I like this disc. The multichannel mix sounds great. Also, I never had bought any Stones albums until the new remasters, now I have 12 Stones SACDs..go figure! SACD is making me buy music that I would have never even considered buying on redbook!

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steven said:

16. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Keith,

If you like Chris Botti, I suggest you try Chet Baker, espacially some of his earlier stuff. I am not sure what material of his is available on SACD, though.

Penn State looked pretty good last week. They might be the team to beat in the Big Ten this year.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty and Mike,
    Thanks for the information on Chet Baker. I might pick up a compilation disc of his works to see if I like it. There is so much jazz out there for me to check out.
    Marty said: