What's new

Phil Jackson -- the best NBA coach ever (1 Viewer)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
From a Basketball standpoint I think Larry Brown is the best coach in the league currently.
:laugh:
I hope you're kidding. :D
I give much respect to Phil Jackson. He is a great coach.
Even though they are not my team, why is no one talking about Sacramento? You know, the team that has the best record in the nba?
Prediction....this is not the Lakers year to win.
Jon

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned a huge reason why the Bull and Lakers have won their championships under Jackson's coaching:

Tex Winters

Triangle Offense

Tex made it work for the Bulls, and it's working for the Lakers too. What's scary is that their execution is only going to get better with time. Tex is largely a reason why I think even highly talented teams like San Antonio, Sacramento, and Dallas will still be bested by the Lakers.

And I'm not a Laker fan...at all. I'm not a Portland fan, either.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely true, Masood. I was just about to post about Tex. I think he's going to get into the hall of fame w/o being a head coach, and deservedly so. Jackson is more the "spiritual" leader and disciplinarian, Tex is the "X's and O's" man, who can configure the triangle offense to work with the personnel he has (G/F like Jordan and Pippen, or C/G like Shaq and Kobe).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What exactly is the triangle offense? My roommate from Chicago (technically northwestern Indiana) from two years back explained it to me, but I can't remember.

BTW, Phil Jackson is my favorite coach, but he is certainly not the best. That is reserved for Red Auerbach of Celtics fame.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone chimed in with Red Auerbach. I put Red in the same league as John Wooden. Both created runs that (and I will comfortably say this) will never be matched but that does not make them the best ever. Maybe it makes them the most successful coach, but not necessarily the best coach.

I am a huge Laker fan but I too have a feeling they are not gonna win the championship this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I have a huge respect level for the Sacramento Kings. They are a fun team to watch. After destroying my Jazz, I hope they reach the "Promise land."

Michael.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I can't recall a team winning a championship without at least two superstars on it.
'94 Rockets. HAKEEM!!! :) Of course the year after they finally had to spring and get that second superstar (Clyde).
As far as Jackson's concerned, I think he's really an excellent coach but I tend to agree with what others have said in that you know you've got a truly special coach when he can not only take a team with established superstars to the championship, but can also rebuild with a fresh group of players.

Users who are viewing this thread