Phil Jackson -- the best NBA coach ever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I saw an interesting stat this morning: Phil Jackson has by far the best regular-season winning percentage in NBA history (.738). He also has by far the best playoff winning percentage in NBA history, coincidentally also .738. He is going for his 9th NBA championship as a coach.

Some people refuse to give Jackson credit because he has coached some of the greatest players ever, such as Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe. I think it's the other way around -- Jackson made them better team players. Look at the facts:

* Neither Jordan nor Pippen have been close to winning a title since leaving Jackson.

* Neither Jordan nor Pippen were close to winning a title before Jackson was head coach in Chicago.

* Shaq was not able to win in Orlando despite having an excellent supporting cast including Anfernee Hardaway.

* Shaq and Kobe were swept out of the playoffs every year in LA until Jackson arrived.

Yes, Jackson has coached great players, but those players never won without Jackson. And actually, Jackson's Bulls and Lakers often had less overall talent than other teams (Portland of the last couple of years was stacked). Jackson somehow knows how to fit in the perfect role players to complement his stars. He manages all the egos and gets the most out of everyone. He is the best NBA coach ever.

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I think that he is an incredible coach but... How come the Bulls didn't win when Jordan took his "baseball break" but they managed to pick up where they left off when he returned a year and a half or so later? [​IMG]

3. Brian Perry

4. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Jackson has certainly proven that it takes more than excellent players to win an NBA championship. How about if we say that you need great players AND a great coach to win it multiple times, and leave it at that?

6. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

7. Brian Perry

Yes, I would agree. Having great players is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition to win multiple championships. And the same goes for coaching.

8. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

I can't recall a team winning a championship without at least two superstars on it. That being said, I agree Jackson is the best. You cannot win a championship without stars on it. period.

I hope Jackson pulls the Lakers together. They have been coasting through this season. Now they find themselves without homefield adavantage. The Lakers were 13-0 on the road in the playoffs last year.

As you can tell, I am an avid Lakers fan.

GO LAKERS!!! 3-PEAT!!!

9. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

The longer I look at Jackson's career, the more credit I give him. I would be willing to bet that coaching Jordan and Pippen was a double edged sword. Not every coach could have kept them motivated, happy and most importantly, winning. Throw in distractions like Rodman, an immature Kobe, a no free throw shooting Shaq and the "Hack-a-Shaq" debacle, Twin Towers in San Antonio, the Knicks and their "Jordan rules". Put all these obstacles and many more into one pot. Stir em up and still find ways to win 9 championship. That is impressive.

Is he the best coach ever? That question will always be rhetorical. Stats may prove he was the most successful or the winningest, but best is totally subjective.

In the NBA it seems the "Coach of the year" award always goes to either the winningest coach or the coach with the best turnaround record. There are pros & cons to each. I think the true measue of who is the best coach can only be seen by determining which coach maximizes the talent that he is give to the fullest. This does not always translate into wins. Let me rock a few boats. Many people say John Wooden is by far the greatest coach of all time in the college ranks. I say "I bet he's not". I bet there is some coach out there at a some small school that has his team playing at a much higher level than there were before he took control.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I too agree that it's a symbiotic relationship: great players and a great coach are needed. But no matter how much people try to take away from Jackson by saying "he had MJ" or "he had Shaq/Kobe" you can't argue with the man's rings.

Any Laker fan will tell you (and I am one) that he has the Lakers playing a system that was head and shoulders above what they were using before he got here. And although they do at times seem bored in the regular season and slack off, they are without a doubt a completely different team than before Jackson's arrival.

11. Howard Williams

Just for the sake of arguing, I guess you could say that a team could win a championship with no Super Star(s)if a team had 13 players that each averaged per game:

8 points

3-4 rebounds

2 assists

1 steal

1 block shot

50% from the field,

40% from three point range,

80% from the free throw line.

But who wants to argue.

BTW, I'm a huge Laker Fan too !!!

12. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

The Portland Trailblazers are proof that you need more than great players and a good coach to win championships. We've had great players for the past few seasons and pretty good coaches. Although Maurice Cheeks as coach of the year is laughable around here. We get knocked out every year by guess who?... The Lakers. Portland will need one of the Blazers to stomp on Shaq's bad foot before we'll take a series from them.

Sad to say as a Blazers fan, but I predict the Lakers over the Blazers in 4 games in the first round.

13. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Well Dennis you are optimistic, I have the Lakers winning in 3[​IMG]

14. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Dan, I've heard the word "sweep" around here too but after the double overtime win against the Lakers in Portland the other night I gave the Blazers one game.

15. Howard Williams

Although nothing is certain, Im willing to bet this years Champion will come from the West.

The Lakers have 4 huge obstacles to deal with if they're gonna win this year.

1. Injuries (Can you say "Big toe?"
    2. Officiating (A few games with early fouls on Shaq and it's over)
    3. Their dependence on the "We can turn it off or on whenever we want to" mentality. (This is where Phil comes in)
    4. Every opponent in the West,(including the Blazers and especially the Spurs/Kings)will be gunning for them.[/list=1]

16. Brian Perry

Howard,

I would also say a concern is Robert Horry's injury. He is a key guy for them.

17. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

18. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

19. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Jackson is a great coach, but not the best ever. I am waiting for him to win a championship without one of the 3 best players in the game (Jordan, Shaq, Kobe). Lets see him coach the Clippers and get somewhere.

From a Basketball standpoint I think Larry Brown is the best coach in the league currently. Hell he even got the Clippers to the playoffs one year.

J

20. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

How about we wait for one of the three best players (Jordan, Shaq, Kobe) to win a championship without Jackson?

Ray