Phil Hartman- Best of Saturday Night Live

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Henry Gale, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

This quote is from the SNL Jimmy Fallon thread. I agree with it and think Phil needs his own thread at HTF too.

I picked up the Hartman disc at WalMart for $5.50 and really was hoping for just one routine, best described as "The Two Sides of Ronald Reagan".

It's on here, but sadly it is cut short. [​IMG]

The first skit on the disc is "Frank Sinatra" with Luther Campbell, Steve & Edie, Sinead O'Connor and Billy Idol.
    It's a great bit, the high point for me is when Frank addresses Sinaid as "Uncle Fester". It also runs it's entire lenth but much of the rest of the disc fades out of one segment and into another.
    If it's really "The Best Of..." why not pick the best skits and let them play out?

2. dailW

dailW Stunt Coordinator

yeah i got the disc some time ago. Phil was awesome. i was also bummed that the Reagan bit wasn't the full bit.

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I was hoping for the full Charleton Heston reading "Sex" skit (included in a very brief part) and his farewell song with Chris Farley (not included at all).

He really deserves a Vol. 2.

4. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

It's the only SNL dvd I have. Found it in Target for 7 bucks.

I'd buy a second release.

5. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    It's funny how they rushed two volumes of Will Ferrell, and yet we're only given one for Phil Hartman. I have the 'best of' on VHS and I agree, it's hilarious. I'd love to see more releases dedicated to him. He was definitely one of the funniest cast members to ever grace the show.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I don't want to derail the love for Phil Hartman...but I've wondered for a long time why there has NEVER been an SNL set for Bill Murray.

Is there some kind of rights issue? He's GOT to be one of the mose popular/successful Not Ready for Prime-Timers ever on the show (or after the leaving the show). I'd buy a Bill Murray disc (or set of discs) in a NY minute.

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I agree Mike, of course there should be at least a couple of Bill Murray SNL sets.
    I really started this because I couldn't stand the idea of Hartman being an afterthough in a Jimmy Fallon thread. [​IMG]

8. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

There is definitely not enough Phil Hartman on DVD.

I believe I watched his Best Of SNL when it was broadcast on NBC. I thought it was a bit lacking with respect to his TRULY greatest bits. I did not know that the DVD could be had for such a great price. Needless to say, I'll be keeping an eye out for it. There are very few entertainers that I miss more than Phil Hartman.

A box set of PH could not hold all of his great material, but it would be a nice try.

C

9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    The problem with these DVD releases is that they were made as TV specials. They're fine as TV specials, but as a DVD labeled 'The Best of ...' they're a bit underwhelming. The newer releases have been much better, though - some of them have additional interview footage from the First Five Years special and other features.

10. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Count me in as another huge fan of the comic genius of Phil Hartman, who I believe may have been the best sketch comic I have ever seen. Even in bits where he wasn't front and center, he always seemed to do interesting and memorable work.

My two favorite bits out of so many great ones he did during his SNL run, were the take-off on the barracks scene from FULL METAL JACKET when Matthew Modine hosted, and his turn as Albert Goldman as the forgotten fifth Beatle. Both were immense comedy gold, great skits in their own right made unforgettable by Phil's brilliant work.

I have skipped on the SNL Best of sets because I knew that they just could not satisfactorily capture all of the good work done by Phil (r any of the other cast members, for that matter) and would end up disappointing me. I still hold out hope that someday we will get full SNL season sets.

11. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

Have there been ANY dvds of the original cast? The first five years are usually licensed separately.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah. There was just a big bunch of releases with Dan Ackoyd, John Belushi and Gilda Radner. I think a Chevy Chase set has already been done, too...but I'm not sure.

I see an Alec Baldwin set is about to be released. At this rate, Garrett Morris will get his own set before Bill Murray! [​IMG]

13. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Chevy Chase was released on VHS back in the day, but he doesn't have a DVD yet.

14. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Ain't that the truth? Case in point. I recall a sketch after the gulf war in which they were doing a variety special saluting some random U.S. soldier played to Tim Meadows. Phil Hartman played Charleton Heston, who was giving his own special reading of an intimate letter written by Tim Meadows to his wife during the war. It only lasted thirty seconds but was the most hilarious part of the entire sketch (which was already pretty funny).

15. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that these DVDs are simply the same compilation shows as already broadcast to fit in a 90-min block (which means, what, 70 minutes of material, tops?). What a wasted opportunity to expand them for DVD release. Surely when they edited these compilation shows they had to whittle down a lot of stuff--they could've made longer versions at the same time.

The bonus material is nice, though, especially Phil's audition tape.

16. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I am very upset about the Hartman and Farley DVD releases. They left off soo much good stuff and put on some of their worst sketches.

I still dream for Vol 2s of each one of these. I hope to see the day again when Farley was Hank Williams Jr...I still roll on the ground thinking about it.

The Ferrell sets also were lacking...they included almost nothing but sketches with the cast of the past few years, which is horrible. His great stuff was long before he left the show. God, SNL is such a joke now, hopefully one day they will clean house and I can watch it again.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Seems like that sentiment is expressed every five years or so from the show's fans. [​IMG]

18. Will Hammond

Will Hammond Auditioning

Having been a lurker here for some time, this is my first post!

I too, have wondered about a SNL Best of Phil Hartman Vol. 2 but given that he has been gone for 8 years it seems more and more unlikely that it will ever happen. Has the "Full Metal Jacket" skit ever been released on video? It has got to be one of my favorite skits of all time!

I remember reading a watching a story "maybe it was on E! but I can't remember right now" about the skit a few days after it aired and apparently Phil completely blanked out and forgot his lines. So he just started ad-lib'ing when they went live. The others actors were having a heck of a time keeping a straight face.

Pax,

Will

19. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Hmm, well they don't memorize their lines on SNL (stuff changes too often), they use cue cards.

20. Will Hammond

Will Hammond Auditioning

I was just repeating what Phil Hartman said in the interview.