Phil Collins on a Genesis Reunion

Discussion in 'Music' started by Paul_Medenwaldt, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Yahoo Story
    Sounds promising for some kind of venture with Collins/Banks/Rutherford.
    I think Phil needs a boost since his solo career isn't really doing anything.
    As for PG, I think with his solo career doing rather well it may be a while or nill if he joins them on any type of reunion, if its a tour or album.
    Paul

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

This would be something to look forward to, *if* the idea is to go back to the 70's and 80's material, but a waste if all Phil wants them to do is to be a backing band for his more recently crappy solo stuff...

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Phil has always maintained that he like to work with Banks and Rutherford again, but preferably not under the Genesis name because of the "baggage" it carries. It was on VH1's "Behind The Music" on Genesis. Despite the comings and goings of various members in Genesis, those guys are on friendly terms with each other.

As for the "original" members of Genesis getting back together (Phil was hardly their first drummer), Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford got back together to re-record ""The Carpet Crawlers 1999".

By the way, the "The Way We Walk" concert DVD has been released domestically.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Unlike most rock singers, Collins' voice still sounds great. So, I would be thrilled to check out anything these guys do together, whatever they call it.

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

This sounds like good news if the band is more then strictly a vehicle for Collins' music. Seriously, since Collins started his solo career, it seems like all he has done is repackage the same love song over and over as a "hit" on every record he has done.

J

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The best chance to have Phil/Peter/Mike/Steve/Tony on the same stage performing would be if Genesis gets inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Given their artistic/commercial achievements over the years, this may actually happen.

7. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

It would be awesome if they can get Peter in on it too. That would help make sure they don't come out with more dance music [​IMG]
    If they could get Peter too, they shouldn't call it Genesis though. How about the opposite of Genesis, like Catacalysm or something [​IMG]

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

With the amount of money that is available out there for these kind of tours (along with merchandising and dvds/cds etc.) How could they not eventually take advantage of this opportunity.

When you look at the sales of recent Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins cds, looks like they'll need $$$ soon.

9. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

We can always hope.

If the REAL Genesis (that is, with PG) do a reunion tour, I will be following them around the globe!

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

When I saw Phil Collins on VH1's "Genesis: Behind The Music" saying "I would love to work with Mike and Tony again. Just not under the Genesis moniker since that name carries a certain amount of musical baggage....", I guess there is certain amount of expectation that the music should be in a certain style or played in a certain way. If Phil, Mike, and Tony do get together, I hope they move beyond (musically) where they've been.

On the other hand, I will big time money to see Genesis (with Phil and/or Peter at lead vocal) in concert. I think these guys really should consider doing a "farewell/reunion" tour and let the Genesis name drift into music history.

Funny how the Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins issue is starting to look like Van Halen's David Lee Roth/Sammy Hager arguments.

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

on thursday BBC 1 showed This is my Life with Mike Rutherford.
    All of the members of Genesis were there, past and present.
    Peter Gabriel even made a video appearance which surprised me as I thought there was still lots of bad blood.
    Let's hope they do get together for the right reasons.
    Danny
    I am very curious about "The Carpet Crawlers 1999", where can I find this
    [​IMG]

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Oscar,
    "The Carpet Crawlers 1999" appears in Turn It On Again: The Hits
    [​IMG]
    All 5 members of the "classic" Genesis lineup were there, with Pete doing the main vocals and Phil on background vocals and drums. I don't think these guys have any bad blood between them. Under the right conditions, an induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for example, these guys may just get on stage and jam for several songs. Within the last couple of years, Phil has performed some "unplugged" versions of Genesis songs with Mike and Tony at a private function. And if you get a chance, get a hold of the video "Genesis: A History"; it has footage of a reunion of the "classic" lineup with group founder Anthony Philips.

13. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Uping this thread because I've been in a major Genesis phase lately [​IMG]
    Given that Phil was Pete's best man when he got married last year, I'd say "bad blood" wouldn't be an issue if a reunion was planned. But I doubt we'll ever see it, or if we do, it'll be the Collins-Banks-Rutherford band, not the "old school" lineup. These guys ARE on (mostly) good terms with one another, but they're very far apart musically speaking.
    Seems that every interview I read with one of the G-men, none of them are eager to play the old stuff again:
    -Phil sounds downright embarrassed by their prog material, and doesn't sound proud of Genesis' output until Abacab. he also sounds like he's still a little sore on Steve.
    -Tony can barely hide his dislike for Steve, and insists on reminding people that "we did music after 1975, you know" when asked about getting the old lineup back together.
    -Mike doesn't seems to remember Pete's stage antics very fondly, and also sounds happiest when discussing Genesis' 80s and 90s work.
    -Steve, surprisingly, says that he is a fan of "pop" Genesis. However, he acknowledges his status as the "black sheep" of the Genesis family. He's also said he was displeased with the "guitar-light" sound on "The Carpet Crawlers 1999".
    -Pete seems to still feel the need to prove himself as a solo artist, even though modern audiences know him as a solo artist first, and Genesis' former frontman second.
    -Ant Phillips would probably go for a reunion, since his solo work is still very reminiscent of the Genesis of old.
    All in all, as much as I'd like for the classic Genesis lineup to reform, it's highly unlikely [​IMG]
    Also, given that Tony and Mike seem to be pretending Ray Wilson never existed, I'd say the chances are good for Phil's return to the fold.

14. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

My take--there might be a Banks/Collins/Rutherford reunion of sorts, but I don't think it would go beyond maybe an album, because Phil Collins has apparently lost much of his hearing in one of his ears and has suggested that he may never tour again. I happen to like most of both Genesis phases (PG and PC), but I'm partial to the early stuff. If Genesis can reform in whatever incarnation, I just hope that they rock out a bit more and steer clear of the "top 40" market pretty much altogether. And if any reunion would essentially be a backing band for PC, I say it shouldn't happen.

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

16. andrew markworthy

I think a reunion is possible (it would be lucrative, to say the least) with PG doing the Gabriel-era vocals, PC doing the Collins-era vocals. There isn't bad blood between PG and Rutherford/Collins/Banks.

But having said that, I wouldn't want to see it. I think some things are best left as memories.

17. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I'd love to see Genesis live. Unfortunley my generation is pretty starved of really good music so i'm buying tons of CD's from the 50's/60's/70's/80's/early 90's [​IMG]
    I doubt Peter Gabriel would re-join because having seen him interviewed on Jools Hollands show dressed in a toga spouting spirtual stuff i don't think i could picture him belting out Invisable touch in front of 60,000 people. For commercial reasons i would think Collins/Bank/ Rutherford would be the three to do a massive tour. There 78-91 output may not be popular with the "prog-rockers" but theres some great pop/rock tunes in there and thats what a large majority of the public want. However with Phil Collins hearing trouble i doubt we will seen it. Theres no point in them re-forming without a massive world tour. Thats where the big $$$$$$ would be made.[​IMG]
    Lets also remember that while Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins recent solo stuff hasn't set the world on fire there solo output in the 1980's- early 90's has generated them millions. They will never need to worry about money again. I personally like Phil's solo stuff. Some great pop songs. Hes a good guy.[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

19. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Being a Genesis fan I was also sorry to here of the various "dislikes" they may have for each other. I don't think it's as bad as it seems though. I know Phill and Mike played on a couple of Steve's solo albums in the early 70's. "Cured" and "Please Don't Touch" were very good by the way. Anyway, I agree with John Lennon. I'll always be able to enjoy what they have done in the past. "A Trick of the Tail" NEEDS to be in 5.1 though. gene