Phil Collins/Genesis Dvd's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik_Hetz, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Erik_Hetz

Erik_Hetz Auditioning

Are there any Dvd's out there for Phil Collins and/or Genesis?? I have already purchased the Classic Albums disc that profiles Collin's first album Face Value, but I'm looking for something more like a concert album. Is there any hope for a future release??

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Hi Erik. Welcome to the forum!
    The first Region 1 Genesis DVD (that I am aware of) was released just last week. It is called "Genesis Songbook", and is a band history (interviews, etc.). I have not had a chance to look at it yet, as I am on vacation.
    Word is a two-disc set of the "We Can't Dance" tour is being prepared.
    This site has ongoing info on Genesis projects:
    http://www.genesis-music.com/
    ------------------
    Too many DVDs, too little time...
    AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

3. Erik_Hetz

Erik_Hetz Auditioning

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the release info for Genesis. We Can't Dance will be a real treat. I'm a little suprised that such a great band with a unique sound hadn't released a disc yet. However, I am very happy that they will be coming out with something soon. That Genesis website was fantastic and very informatiive. I will be on the lookout for the Genesis Songbook as well. Many Thanks,
    Erik

4. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Phil Collins has a DVD out called "Live and Loud in Paris". I'm considering getting it but I think it's a little expensive for not too many songs on it. You might want it though.

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Phil Collins in Paris.... do NOT buy! Bad compression, mediocre audio, mediocre performace.
    I wish I still have my Serious-Live LD. Sigh.

6. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if any decent video footage even exists, but I would love to see (and hear) a concert DVD from the Seconds Out era.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I guess it's too much to hope for to get a DVD of Genesis from when Peter Gabriel sang. That would be great, though. Not only were they fantastic musically, but Gabriel's performances were... interesting.

8. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

I definately know a concert film was released theatrically
    of the Seconds Out era but obviously it's a very old film and there may not be much demand for it. I would be first in line for that one [​IMG] As far as the Gabriel era, an entire concert would be a lot to ask for (The Lamb Lies Down would be pretty damn cool, even in 2-channel) I wouldn't mind seeing a dvd version of Genesis: A History, which spans the bands entire career and intercuts concert footage of the Gabriel era. I'm a little wary of We Can't Dance, being a HUGE Genesis fan. I HATE medleys and prefer to hear the old stuff in it's entirety. In the bands later years, they combined the old stuff in medleys and it drove me nuts.

9. Adrian_N

Adrian_N Agent

I wonder if the "We Can't Dance" DVD would be similar to the 2 CD release of live songs ("The Shorts" and "The Longs"). Listening to the drum duo on 5.1 would be awesome. [​IMG] I just happen to put those CDs in my car, so thanks for the timely news!

10. Chris Gipson

Chris Gipson Auditioning

While I would kill for a Gabriel era Genesis concert or a collection of performance clips on DVD, I would be happy just to see a release of Three Sides Live.
    ------------------

11. andrew markworthy

I suspect we'll have to wait some time for most of the Genesis back catalogue to be released on DVD, but I would bet reasonable odds that in a couple of years we'll begin to see stuff being released. We've got to remember that we're still in the relatively early stages of DVD's infiltration of the market. Think about it - how many concert tapes were available in the early years of VHS?
    The Genesis Songbook was released in R2 some time ago. I've got it, but haven't yet watched it all the way through - it seems to be a documentary with concert and promo clips rather than a compliation of their music.
    [Edited last by andrew markworthy on October 05, 2001 at 02:07 PM]
    [Edited last by andrew markworthy on October 05, 2001 at 02:08 PM]

12. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Here's a vote to have Phil Collins's SERIOUSLY LIVE released for DVD! It's a great concert!

13. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

I would love to have Serious Hits Live! in 5.1 DTS. That is a great concert that I only have on VHS. Yuck and double yuck. I never watch it, I listen to my CD of the same concert.
    Any new news on some Phil/Genesis concerts coming to DVD?

14. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I doubt if there is enough available footage of a Gabriel era full concert.
    It would be cool to see indeed.
    The Return of the Giant Hogweed and Supper's Ready are two of my personal favorites.
    I'd love to see Gabriel in that flower costume...
    ------------------

15. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The Way We Walk concert was just released, but not in North or South America. However, you can still get a North American DVD thru the Genesis website listed by Craig S near the top of this thread. Can't wait til I get that DVD!!

17. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I would just die for a DVD release of a full Lamb Lies down on Broadway concert. Of course, that is probably as likely as a reunion tour with Phil and Peter. Now that would really kick.

18. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Oh my gosh, I had no idea that an NTSC DVD of The Way We Walk is out!

I'm hoping they include the little news segment from opening night in Dallas that was shown on the original VHS tape...look very closely, and you can see me waiting patiently for the concert to start!

- Steve

19. andrew markworthy

I've now seen The Way We Walk on DVD - it's the concert previously released on VHS. The picture quality, given its source, is excellent, and the sound is good (I only have plain old stereo - I prefer it - and can't judge the 5.1 mix). It's a two disc affair - before anyone moans, this is to accomodate an interesting feature. Namely, you can watch each track from a variety of cameras. This gets a bit wearisome after a while, but full marks for at least offering this for us to see what it's like. There's also a commentary track, but I haven't had time to listen to that yet.

20. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I can't believe all the old Genesis fans on here. Some of my absolute favs are the Gabriel era Genesis recording. Especially Foxtrot. Lamb Lies Down... would be phenominal to see too.

Walking across the living room I turn the television on. Setting beside you I look into your eyes. As the sound of motorcars fades in the nighttime. I swear I saw your face change. It didn't seem quite right. And it's. Heh! babe your supper's ready for you............

Ah, now that was a band!!

Parker