Phil Alden Robinson - Sneakers / Sum Of All Fears in joke

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Moe Dickstein, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Just saw Sum of All Fears the other day, and I nearly pissed myself when I realized Phil Alden Robinson had reused a character name from Sneakers (his last movie)

One of the russians the analysts are discussing is an "Elana Rhyzhkof"

Now In Sneakers there was a character by this name, and she was involved in a secret affair with a fellow scientist. There is a great scene between her and Redford.

Now the topper is that the actress that played Elena in Sneakers is Affleck's Boss in Sum (and she was the right wing censorship advocate in Field Of Dreams)

and the last line had me gone - she looks at camera and says "Find out who Elena Rhyzhkof is!"

I love it!

(and am i the only person that has seen Sneakers 8 million times and spotted this?)

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Wow, good observation!! You're right... Lee Garlington is the same actress in both movies. That's hilarious! [​IMG]

3. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I knew I recognized her. That's funny.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Neat, but this post belongs in movies. [​IMG]
    Dan

5. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Sneakers is one of my all time favs, but I haven't seen Sum yet....Oh well.....

Power to the People............

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Matt Damon was on Jay Leno show last night. He said he had a bit part in Sum..., but was his part was cut out. Matt said he and Ben Affleck film career started with bit parts in Field of Dreams. If I'm not mistaken was Phil Robinson's last movie he directed.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Sneakers was the last feature Alden Robinson directed. Since then the most (only?) major thing he has done before Sum was the first episode of Band of Brothers.

Dan

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    No, Phil did a TNT movie with Danny Glover a few years back, but Sum is indeed his next feature after Sneakers.

9. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Ok does anyone besides me feel that SNEAKERS is a great film in dire need of a better transfer on DVD?

10. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Yes. It is in DIRE need of a better treatment. Despite its flawed ending, I really enjoy the film.

And, I have to admit...I was so annoyed by "Sum" that I MISSED the Rhyzhkof reference! Thanks for mentioning it!

11. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Yeah I caught the name immediately when I watched Sum last night; and I had forgotten the Sneakers director was responsbile for Sum (which I am extremely disappointed in primarily for director reasons). I missed the actress being the same though, so I'm not as cool as I thought I was! [​IMG]
    Despite my disappointment with Sum, Sneakers and the Band of Brothers pilot are excellent directorial efforts IMO, so Robinson still as cred with me.

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

she's...she's old.