What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: War of the Worlds (1953) (4k UHD) / When Worlds Collide (1951) (Blu-ray) Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
The HD streaming version was available long enough that someone should have complained about Mars being blue instead of red. Screengrabs from Imprint reviews highlighted this so Criterion fixed it before their release. However, they all didn't correct the music when the credits begin. An overlay is noticeably missing. Someone who knows the right people at Paramount needs to nag them about it, especially given the pride they took in the audio restoration.

Last edited:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Unless the opening credits music is fixed, Paramount can keep it. I'll stick with my current BD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The defect is apparently on what survives of the original musical tracks. Its replicated on the old Intrada CD. Not something that can be fixed without yielding results that are discernably worse.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Since I have both of them on BD, why the hell would I want to double dip, especially when the C/Imprint BDs are very nice prints?
In my case I have the Criterion WotW Blu which is fine with me, but WWC only in the old Paramount DVD. I'd like more info on the included Blu of that beyond the announced “remastered from the original film elements” that we've seen. I'd rather get that on a standalone, but we'll see.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... turns out I need to catalog my unwatched pile more carefully. I purchased the [Imprint] edition of When Worlds Collide a few months back during Holiday sales and totally forgot about it! At least I got it at a pretty good price (~$20 shipped) so there's that... I'll be watching it sometime over the next few days to check it out and see if I think the reported issues it has are bad enough to warrant a possible double-dip - assuming Paramount's release is a new remaster created after that version was released (I suspect it won't be).

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
The defect is apparently on what survives of the original musical tracks. Its replicated on the old Intrada CD. Not something that can be fixed without yielding results that are discernably worse.
I'll let Ben Burtt be the judge of that. They might be able to seamlessly sub in that section of music from the dvd source.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well... turns out I need to catalog my unwatched pile more carefully. I purchased the [Imprint] edition of When Worlds Collide a few months back during Holiday sales and totally forgot about it! At least I got it at a pretty good price (~$20 shipped) so there's that... I'll be watching it sometime over the next few days to check it out and see if I think the reported issues it has are bad enough to warrant a possible double-dip - assuming Paramount's release is a new remaster created after that version was released (I suspect it won't be).
I feel your pain, a few times I've unwittinly double dipped not remembering what I haven't watched yet??

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I feel your pain, a few times I've unwittinly double dipped not remembr=ering what I haven't watched yet??
Real Housewives Bravo GIF by PeacockTV
Been there, Done that. Bought the T-Shirt :wacko:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Amazon has nothing on this that I can find.
The 4 K.
And the link I see on this page. I try that. I get.
Sorry, can't find that page.
I will keep looking.
Would like to add this to my 4K movies.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
P.S. I wonder why they could not have made the complete deal in 4K. I think this may be , milk the public deal. In 4,5 months. They will put. WWC out in 4K. Just a thought!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon has nothing on this that I can find.
The 4 K.
And the link I see on this page. I try that. I get.
Sorry, can't find that page.
I will keep looking.
Would like to add this to my 4K movies.
Amazon has taken down pre-order link! However, my pre-order is still intact.
I made my post on Thursday. This frequently happens with Amazon on some pre-order titles. It will most likely be back up in the near future.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And I watched it this afternoon. IMHO it looks quite good. There *are* more than a few instances of a few color flecks and speckles as well as a few very small scratches but nothing that's really all that bad. You see the speckles mostly in the open star field and a few other shots but for the most part they pretty much blend in - especially if you're not really looking for them. I've read there are a few instances of registration misalignment and some color shakiness but they must be very small as I didn't notice any - and I *was* looking for them. The overall image is rock steady with no frame wobble/bouncing of any kind. According to reviews, it was sourced from a new Paramount 4K master. Could it look better? Absolutely, with more extensive restoration work. So unless Paramount takes the time to clean up the, IMHO minor, visual issues with the print supplied to [Imprint] for their own release, the [Imprint] release is more than acceptable and is vastly superior to the old Paramount DVD.

At this point I'm likely to fully ignore this double-feature release as well as any single release of WWC, should one be forthcoming, as the [Imprint] fills my needs quite admirably.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks