What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: War of the Worlds (1953) (4k UHD) / When Worlds Collide (1951) (Blu-ray) Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The "big question" for War of the Worlds is whether or not Paramount will use the color grading closer to the Criterion or to the Imprint version. IIRC, both were said to have originated from Paramount's 4K scan and each used slightly different color timing, affecting most noticeably the color of Mars at the start of the film with the Imprint version having little to no correction which gave Mars a bluish tint and the Criterion shifting it to be reddish.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I just saw this on bluray.com, this release is going to be part of Paramount's on-going Paramount Presents line.

1657069222167.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm perfectly OK with my Criterion War of the Worlds Blu-ray, but the new Blu-ray of When Worlds Collide is something I'd want, but not forty bucks worth of want.
You guys realized that's the MSRP. It will discount before release date. Also, it will most likely discount some more after it's been released for a while.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Color me confused. Is this going to be a 4K restoration on blu ray or a 4K UHD release? Or both? Both the amazon link and the bluray.com link refer to 4K blu ray but not UHD.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Color me confused. Is this going to be a 4K restoration on blu ray or a 4K UHD release? Or both? Both the amazon link and the bluray.com link refer to 4K blu ray but not UHD.

I think it's going to be a blu release, just a 4K scan like Criterion's, but who's to say until we got an actual press release or cover art to be certain on anything.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it's going to be a blu release, just a 4K scan like Criterion's, but who's to say until we got an actual press release or cover art to be certain on anything
This is a multi format release! War of the Worlds is going to be 4K/UHD disc while When Worlds Collide will be on Blu-ray disc.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

The news release on blu-ray.com says:

Paramount Home Media Distribution is preparing a 4K Blu-ray release of Byron Haskin's The War of the Worlds (1953)

"4K Blu-ray" is synonymous with UHD. (UHDs are "Ultra High Definition blu-ray discs".)

If that's not clear enough, the release also says:

Making its 4K Blu-ray debut, War of the Worlds is an Oscar winning adaptation of the chilling H.G. Wells novel.

If this was just a 4K restoration on a standard blu-ray disc, it wouldn't be "making its...Blu-ray debut" since it's been released on standard blu-ray by both Imprint and Criterion.

Well, let’s see. I already have the Criterion War Of The Worlds and the DVD of When Worlds Collide, so what will Mr. No Will Power decide to do? Will he decide to buy two movies he already has? Does water run downhill?
And I suspect that I will not be the only double dipper on these two great S-F classics.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’d buy WWC on a stand alone release. I absolutely LOVE my Criterion Blu of WotW and I can’t imagine anything looking better. I’m absolutely floored by how amazing it looks. Don’t see myself needing anything else for this title.

Now where the heck is Destination Moon?!?!

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I'm not sure about what's streaming these days, but the version of DESTINATION MOON that TCM shows is 16mm. The old Image DVD that WW supplied a print for is the only place I know of where the movie can be seen in its native 35mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks