What's new

PHE Press Release: The Ten Commandments (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So strict was my upbringing;
as it often felt as if there were 20 !!:rolleyes:
In the words of Don Adams - Maxwell Smart "Missed it by THAT much" :D

The Jewish tradition that there are 613 commandments (Hebrew: תרי״ג מצוות‎, romanized: taryag mitzvot) or mitzvot in the Torah (also known as the Law of Moses) is first recorded in the 3rd century CE, when Rabbi Simlai mentioned it in a sermon that is recorded in Talmud Makkot 23b.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, so for the blu ray of this releases, they spread the film out onto two discs. I checked as it’s been a while, the 2011 Blu Ray release is also on 2 discs. Might that mean the Blu Ray disc version is the same release or was it made from a new master? That might mean the image quality at 1080 is higher then the original blu ray release? I guess we will see.

Reactions: PMF

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
People always remember the bad guys Brynner makes the film he steals every scene he is in! Got to meet Heston and he was a great guy in person! By the way here is the cover I mentioned in another post

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wow, so for the blu ray of this releases, they spread the film out onto two discs. I checked as it’s been a while, the 2011 Blu Ray release is also on 2 discs. Might that mean the Blu Ray disc version is the same release or was it made from a new master? That might mean the image quality at 1080 is higher then the original blu ray release? I guess we will see.

From what the press release and RAH stated earlier, the raw film was scanned around 2010 at 6K resolution and then was restored in 4K restoration. The 2011 BD was sourced from that 4K restoration, downrezzing it to 1080p. The new UHD disc will simply present the 4K source files. In other words, it’s all based on the same restoration work, it’s just that you’ll now get to see the full resolution of the work they did. Similar to how Universal restored Spartacus in 4K resolution, put out a BD in 2015, and then used the same 4K source files for the UHD a few years later. The included BD should be the same as the previous release.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Josh. That makes sense. If the 2010 restoration is the same source for the UHD, then the regular blu ray is likely the same as the 2011 blu ray.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
People always remember the bad guys Brynner makes the film he steals every scene he is in! Got to meet Heston and he was a great guy in person! By the way here is the cover I mentioned in another post

So whom is the "bad guy" in Lawrence of Arabia everyone remembers over Lawrence himself?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The politician, Claude Rains. Who else?
Never heard of him ...
tenor.gif
;)!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
So whom is the "bad guy" in Lawrence of Arabia everyone remembers over Lawrence himself?
Every camel- heard they are horrible to work with! Villains we remember Darth Vader - Wicked Witch of the West The Baroness from The Sound Of The Music tons of them in The Godfather Bruce The Shark

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why, he was just a sadist who sodomized Lawrence. Rains was a politician whose policies adversely affected the future of many Arab countries, to this day in fact. That's definitely worse.:(
“a sword with two edges”.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Why, he was just a sadist who sodomized Lawrence. Rains was a politician whose policies adversely affected the future of many Arab countries, to this day in fact. That's definitely worse.:(
I spy with my I that I'm sure TE knew what he was doing with regard to the Arab situation. Ultimately he helped to get Palestine under British control.

I could swear this thread was about CB DM's remake of the Ten Commandments in 4K UHD,

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The Jewish tradition that there are 613 commandments (Hebrew: תרי״ג מצוות‎, romanized: taryag mitzvot) or mitzvot in the Torah (also known as the Law of Moses) is first recorded in the 3rd century CE, when Rabbi Simlai mentioned it in a sermon that is recorded in Talmud Makkot 23b.
Well, yes. But Cecil B. DeMille's THE SIX HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN COMMANDMENTS would be more difficult to fit on a marquee. And imagine Charlton Heston lugging 613 commandments down from Mt. Sinai. He seems to have trouble enough with 10.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, yes. But Cecil B. DeMille's THE SIX HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN COMMANDMENTS would be more difficult to fit on a marquee. And imagine Charlton Heston lugging 613 commandments down from Mt. Sinai. He seems to have trouble enough with 10.
Typically number over ten is expressed in Arabic Numbers so it would technically be the same number of letters/numbers and might even be shorter

Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments
Cecil B. DeMille's The 613 Commandments

:D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From what the press release and RAH stated earlier, the raw film was scanned around 2010 at 6K resolution and then was restored in 4K restoration. The 2011 BD was sourced from that 4K restoration, downrezzing it to 1080p. The new UHD disc will simply present the 4K source files. In other words, it’s all based on the same restoration work, it’s just that you’ll now get to see the full resolution of the work they did. Similar to how Universal restored Spartacus in 4K resolution, put out a BD in 2015, and then used the same 4K source files for the UHD a few years later. The included BD should be the same as the previous release.
I believe the scan was 4k. The release notes also make mention that additional digital work has been performed to help alleviate the blue matte lines, which in 4k would be far too obvious. Sounds like some real work was done, and I look forward to seeing the final.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My system isn’t gonna get a 4K upgrade anytime soon but this is something I will look to upgrade when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks