What's new

PHE Press Release: The Ten Commandments (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For real? Just how much can you really keep improving on picture quality with more numbered K resolutions?
You can’t.

Older emulsions scan nicely at 4k, newer possibly at 6. 65mm at 8, then downrezzed to 4 or finished at 8.

The difference between 4 and 8k on a large screen, from a normal seating distance?

Minimal to zero.

Reminds me, in an odd way, of one of my best friends growing up, who felt the need at age 11 or 12 to stuff her bra with KIeenex. Bragging rights, that in the end made minimal difference - from a normal seating distance.

If I recall correctly, IMAX data to film records were normally 2k. Possibly higher now. I've not checked.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Making-of documentary was uploaded to YouTube at some point. I watched it about a week ago. Of course, it may have been taken down by now, but I hadn't seen it since I first got the box set, and it was so easy to just hit play and watch rather than dragging out that big box.
It is still on youtube.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
While the $4.99 iTunes price is tempting, this is a title that I want to have on disc for the best possible quality, and I'll gladly pay the difference.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Probably for oversampling purposes, just like with audio recording. I am surprised that Paramount didn't scan this at 8k given the VistaVision negatives.
Given that full aperture on VVLA is approximately 1.5:1 for aspect ratio, 8K would be overkill.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
scan done in 2010 before HDR was around.

my question is do modern scans, if i were to perform a film scan->DI today, do the scan heads scan "more color" for HDR? or HDR a thing that is created in editing bays to 'squeeze' more colors out of data already present in whatever has been scanned/imported already? and that the physical scan heads dont contribute towards HDR at all?

sorry i just dunno anything about the scanning tech and how it conforms to what i understand of HDR

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
scan done in 2010 before HDR was around.

my question is do modern scans, if i were to perform a film scan->DI today, do the scan heads scan "more color" for HDR? or HDR a thing that is created in editing bays to 'squeeze' more colors out of data already present in whatever has been scanned/imported already? and that the physical scan heads dont contribute towards HDR at all?

sorry i just dunno anything about the scanning tech and how it conforms to what i understand of HDR
Totally unrelated.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I was surprised to read that the 4K version is contained on only one disc. "Lawrence" was spread over two discs to reduce any need for compression. At "3 hours and 39 minutes" I would imagine a less than optimum bit rate will have to be employed to cram the film onto a single 4K disc.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I was surprised to read that the 4K version is contained on only one disc. "Lawrence" was spread over two discs to reduce any need for compression. At "3 hours and 39 minutes" I would imagine a less than optimum bit rate will have to be employed to cram the film onto a single 4K disc.
Paramount doing it the Mill Creek way of cramming as much as they can on a disc. Paramount fit all of Titanic (1997) on one disc for it's blu-ray debut, but split the film in two parts for DVD back in 2012.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One never knows what will fit until the film is examined shot by-shot for movement. That noted Lawrence would take up less real estate than 10 C, based solely upon disparate aspect ratios, and the amount of black on screen - 2.21 vs 1,85.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The new set includes a 4K Ultra HD disc, two Blu-ray discs, and access to a Digital copy of the film. Following is a breakdown of the disc contents:
4K Ultra HD Disc
· 1956 feature film in 4K Ultra HD
· Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”

I'm sure it's the same one as before
View attachment 86572

It's from the DVD release -
View attachment 86573

I think it's old enough to drive a car in most states without a licensed driver ;) !

I have the latest Blu-ray pictured above and it's still sealed. I don't know if the 4K version will be visible better from sitting 16 feet away from my 85 inch TV.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Well Im sure its going to look great on my 145" curved Scope screen using the JVC NX9 ;) Well it will be a bit smaller in 1.85/1.66

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks