Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
The perfect epic Easter release would be Barabbas...over to you Sony :)
...I did actually re-buy The Ten Commandments when Warner released it on a double bill with Ben-Hur. I just couldn't resist those two long epics in one thin case, & I think it was only around $7.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
John
I will third Barabbas. And I wish Criterion would upgrade DeMille's King of Kings to BluRay so I don't have to import the French Lobster Films version.

ahollis

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Allen
I went back and looked at the box set releases of Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur that we’re released 15 years or so ago. Warner’s included the 1925 version of Ben-Hur as a Blu-ray. I don’t know, but it could have just been just a Blu of a dvd upgrade. Paramount in included the 1923 version in the box set, but only as a DVD.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got what was presumably the same transfer of the 1923 during a recent iTunes sale for just $5 - assuming that it’s the same as what’s on the disc, it’ll make for a lovely addition to the release.

ahollis

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Allen
The 1923 version released as a BD? That's worth it!
Nope the 1923 commandments was a DVD in the Blu-ray release box of the 1956 release.

The 1925 Ben-Hur was on Blu-ray.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

davidmatychuk

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
David Matychuk
I think it's a nice reissue, considering there was no option for those discs other than the box set until now, and the booklet (those hardcover book packages are sexy enough to be danced around and worshipped while Moses is up on the mountain) is also nice. Maybe a lot of people get this release at Easter as they're just waking up to the benefits of physical copies and it jumpstarts the Blu-Ray Revival? Easter is a season of miracles after all.

Last edited:

davidmatychuk

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
David Matychuk
A question: does this edition of the 1923 Ten Commandments have a proper orchestral score or one of those godawful organ things?
Godawful. Actually, it's pretty decent for one of those, well-recorded in stereo. It's on a Blu-Ray disc in the 2013 box set, by the way.

davidmatychuk

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
David Matychuk
I went back and looked at the box set releases of Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur that we’re released 15 years or so ago. Warner’s included the 1925 version of Ben-Hur as a Blu-ray. I don’t know, but it could have just been just a Blu of a dvd upgrade. Paramount in included the 1923 version in the box set, but only as a DVD.
I just checked on the music for the silent version (organ not orchestral) and it's on a Blu-Ray. It's a very nice one, too.

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Nope the 1923 commandments was a DVD in the Blu-ray release box of the 1956 release.

I just checked my big 10 Commandments box and the silent version is a BD. Ben-Hur silent is a BD as well.

Reactions: ahollis

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Godawful. Actually, it's pretty decent for one of those, well-recorded in stereo. It's on a Blu-Ray disc in the 2013 box set, by the way.
I detest those godawful organ scores. I recently watched the 1922 Sherlock Holmes with John Barrymore which had one of the godawful organ things droning in the background but I turned off the sound and put on a CD of Jerry Goldsmith's score to Magic to accompany the film and it worked quite nicely.

Reactions: BobO'Link

davidmatychuk

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
David Matychuk
I detest those godawful organ scores. I recently watched the 1922 Sherlock Holmes with John Barrymore which had one of the godawful organ things droning in the background but I turned off the sound and put on a CD of Jerry Goldsmith's score to Magic to accompany the film and it worked quite nicely.
This will work too: http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10415/.f

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I really like The Silver Chalice. The set design in particular is amazing to me. Jack Palance is just great in this one. It'd be great to have that one on bluray.
Silver Chalice was always Palance and Mayo's movie. Newman was never more than the boy toy element and was scripted as such. No wonder he hated it. I also LOVE the wild and unusual set designs (esp. the banquet scene) and the fabulous Waxman score. The Prodigal is about as campy as one can get, but I spent many joyful DVD viewings of it with my dear old friend Holly Woodlawn whose FAVORITE film this was. It's certainly serious eye candy and, again, that Kaper score is outstanding.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
This from the High-Def Digest review of the 50th Anniversary set: "Disc 3: Ben-Hur (1925 silent version with music track) (SD, 153 minutes)". No, the 1925 Ben-Hur has NEVER been released in HD. I wish I were wrong, but that BD has the old SD transfer.

ahollis

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Allen
This from the High-Def Digest review of the 50th Anniversary set: "Disc 3: Ben-Hur (1925 silent version with music track) (SD, 153 minutes)". No, the 1925 Ben-Hur has NEVER been released in HD. I wish I were wrong, but that BD has the old SD transfer.
and that’s what I indicated in my first post. It’s on a Blu-ray Disc, but it’s the SD transfer.

I also believe that if the Ten Commandments ‘23 version is SD also, but on a Blu-ray Disc. The box says SD on blu disc, so indicated it was in SD.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topreplay