Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 1.17.03 PM.png

CECIL B. DEMILLE’S LEGENDARY EPIC ARRIVES IN A SPECTACULAR
BLU-RAY™ DIGIBOOK PERFECT FOR EASTER GIFT-GIVING

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

Debuting March 10, 2020, Special Collector’s Edition Includes Both the 1923 and 1956 Films, Plus a 16-Page Booklet with Rare Photos and Background About Both Movies

For sheer pageantry and spectacle, few motion pictures can claim to equal the splendor of renowned director Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 epic THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. Arriving in time for Easter gift-giving, the beloved masterpiece will be presented in a new Blu-ray Digibook on March 10, 2020 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

This spectacular release features three Blu-ray Discs™ and includes not only the fully restored 1956 version of the film, but also DeMille’s original 1923 silent version, as well as a 16-page booklet featuring rare photos and historical facts about both productions. The set also includes an in-depth, 73-minute documentary entitled “The Ten Commandments: Making Miracles,” commentary on the 1956 film by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic, The Ten Commandments,” newsreel footage of the film’s New York premiere, theatrical trailers, hand-tinted footage of the Exodus and Parting of the Red Sea sequence from the 1923 version, a two-color Technicolor segment, and photo galleries.

DeMille’s last motion picture made Charlton Heston a superstar and remains a cinematic triumph and perennial fan-favorite. Filmed in Egypt and the Sinai with one of the biggest sets ever constructed for a motion picture, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS tells the story of the life of Moses (Heston). Once favored in the Pharaoh's (Yul Brynner) household, Moses turned his back on a privileged life to lead his people to freedom.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Do I even need to ask why this isn't a 4k release? Would it really have hurt for Paramount to invest the money and include a 4k disc with this?

atcolomb

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Angelo
So I guess both versions will have the same transfer as my 2013 Ultimate Collector's edition?

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, nothing in that release seems to indicate this is any sort of new/restored transfer. Looks like just a re-package to cash in on the holiday and bring Paramount some easy income.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Reaction score
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yes, 4K would be nice, but no HDR, por favor.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Timothy
I bought the standard 2 disc bluray of this a long time ago and still have the old 50th Anniversary DVD set with the 1923 version on it. I'll wait until the 4K release.

battlebeast

Producer
Reaction score
Website
www.oscarmovs.com
Real Name
Warren
Has the 1923 version ever been on Blu Ray? Or Is the 1923 disc with the old releases a DVD?

I’ll be buying this (for the fifth time) because I want the Digi book. Shame I can’t just get the digi book... :/

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm definitely buying it even though I already have the deluxe 50th set. Looks like some nice artwork and having the '23 version right at hand will be perfect for me. I don't usually double dip, but for this you bet I will. Probably will buy a few as gifts as well. Just WISH that WB would release a '59 and '25 Ben-Hur triple blu-ray set like this. Of course, they hate biblical/historical epics so that's probably never. Sad they own the rights to Ben and Helen of Troy, Land of the Pharaohs, Silver Chalice, Prodigal, Ivanhoe and Scaramouche. However, thank you Paramount!

Last edited:

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Of course, they hate biblical/historical epics so that's probably never. Sad they own the rights to Ben and Helen of Troy, Land of the Pharaohs, Silver Chalice, Prodigal, Ivanhoe and Scaramouche. However, thank you Paramount!
Wow! :huh: That's certainly an unsubstantiated statement! Just because they haven't released any of those titles yet hardly means an anti-historical epic agenda! I've no doubt we will see Scaramouche and Ivanhoe eventually as soon as Warners whips up some spiffy transfers. We waited a long time for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers but the result was worth the wait. The Silver Chalice and The Prodigal were rather dull flops (though I'd buy anything with Mayo or Turner) and I'm not sure there's enough of a cult on either film to make a major restoration pay off.

Reaction score
Website
www.blu-ray.com
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Gee I really wish this was a "new" transfer or 4K. Being my favorite movie of all time I have every isse to date right up to the big boxed numbered set. But if nothing has changed it looks like I will give this one a miss.

Reactions: marcco00

skylark68

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Timothy
Sad they own the rights to Ben and Helen of Troy, Land of the Pharaohs, Silver Chalice, Prodigal, Ivanhoe and Scaramouche. However, thank you Paramount!
I really like The Silver Chalice. The set design in particular is amazing to me. Jack Palance is just great in this one. It'd be great to have that one on bluray.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Reaction score
I'm definitely buying it even though I already have the deluxe 50th set. Looks like some nice artwork and having the '23 version right at hand will be perfect for me. I don't usually double dip, but for this you bet I will. Probably will buy a few as gifts as well. Just WISH that WB would release a '59 and '25 Ben-Hur triple blu-ray set like this. Of course, they hate biblical/historical epics so that's probably never. Sad they own the rights to Ben and Helen of Troy, Land of the Pharaohs, Silver Chalice, Prodigal, Ivanhoe and Scaramouche. However, thank you Paramount!

Believe that WB will get to these epic/costume pictures..at least I hope so. Read somewhere that a number of musicals will finally be made available in 2020.

Of these films Ben-Hur is the one I'm most interested in . The silent version would be nice but I'm more interested in a 4k uhd release of the '59 film. I know they missed the 60th Anniversay in 2019 but here again I'm hopeful as a 4k uhd release of BH or LOA or Spartacus will force me to take the 4K plunge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Lachmann

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
What a waste! The previous edition is damn good, so WHY bother? Are they supposing this edition will "fly off the shelf"? I guess this means we're not going to see a UHD, ever? They're supposedly busy fretting and bean-counting in the era of diminishing physical media, so WHY DO THIS? My previous edition will remain on the shelf.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For the why, it could be one of two things: they have a lot of discs left to move (discs are often replicated in larger print runs than packaging, and then you make more packaging and assemble as needed, so they may have had a few thousand discs lying around), or its one of the few titles that sells a decent number of copies on a regular basis due to its annual visibility.

Given that Warner, when they were distributing Paramount, couldn’t clear out an excess of stock even when bundled with Ben-Hur and sold for under $10, my guess is that it’s more about printing up new packaging to try to move existing disc inventory. But who knows?

There are a handful of movies that always sell, like Wizard of Oz, and this just may be one of them. I’m so happy with the disc I already have for this but it’s a movie that still seems to have an audience year after year. On paper this is a movie that I shouldn’t enjoy and yet I freaking love it.

Last edited:

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Super pumped for this. I missed out on the Special Edition that had the 1923 version. Will be pre-ordering this Day 1.

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
RICK
The 1956 Version in 4K UHD Please ! Where's ... The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) Best Picture ????? This is what they should release. Not the same ones over and over again. Speaking of Easter, when is Sony Columbia releasing Barabbas (1961) ????

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Concordia