What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: The Godfather Trilogy (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (including gift set and reissues) (3 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It appears the only difference with the Limited Collector's Edition is the inclusion of the book and prints. Is that right? Will the standard edition include all the new and legacy bonus materials?

To answer Ron's question, I would be tempted to get the box if it included more than the book and prints - like soundtrack CDs or more bonus material. But for double the price? I mean, I have enough books about the Godfather.

Nevertheless, these are essential films and having them in 4k is a must. Assuming the bonus material is the same (why can't they write a press release that makes that clear?), I will get the standard 4k edition.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It appears the only difference with the Limited Collector's Edition is the inclusion of the book and prints. Is that right? Will the standard edition include all the new and legacy bonus materials?

To answer Ron's question, I would be tempted to get the box if it included more than the book and prints - like soundtrack CDs or more bonus material. But for double the price? I mean, I have enough books about the Godfather.

Nevertheless, these are essential films and having them in 4k is a must. Assuming the bonus material is the same (why can't they write a press release that makes that clear?), I will get the standard 4k edition.

Our friends at HighDefDiscNews.com are evaluating the set as follows:

The standard 4K set will be a 3-disc set of only 4K UHD Blu-ray Discs with the original trilogy (theatrical). The Limited Collector’s Edition will come in a 5-disc set will four 4K discs and one Blu-ray, with two housing “bonus materials” — including the “Director’s Cut” and 1990 Theatrical versions of “The Godfather: Part III” (1990) in 4K. Those two versions are EXCLUSIVE to that Limited Collector’s Edition. You do NOT get those versions with the standard 4K UHD Blu-ray. Sorry for any confusion. Each version will include “The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone” for the third film, the new edit done by Coppola and released in 2020.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The standard 4K set will be a 3-disc set of only 4K UHD Blu-ray Discs with the original trilogy (theatrical). The Limited Collector’s Edition will come in a 5-disc set will four 4K discs and one Blu-ray, with two housing “bonus materials” — including the “Director’s Cut” and 1990 Theatrical versions of “The Godfather: Part III” (1990) in 4K. Those two versions are EXCLUSIVE to that Limited Collector’s Edition. You do NOT get those versions with the standard 4K UHD Blu-ray. Sorry for any confusion. Each version will include “The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone” for the third film, the new edit done by Coppola and released in 2020.
I am still confused regarding the standard release and Part III. If I read this correctly, there will only be three discs, yet four films -- the theatrical versions of Part 1, Part III and Part II, plus the Coda version of Part III. So, are they squeezing two films onto a single disc, or are the Part III theatrical and Coda versions accomplished via seamless branching (not sure if that's possible with the UHD format)?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That's a bummer if that indeed holds true...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am doing a lot of reading across the Internet this morning and so many people are unclear on what is included with what set. So, it's just not happening here.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

All due respect to HDDN, I believe they are wrong.

The press release says, with respect to Godfather III:
  • The Godfather: Part III—newly remastered and restored versions of the original theatrical cut and Coppola’s 1991 cut (note: these are exclusive to the 4K Ultra HD Collections)
It says "4k collections," which means the theatrical and CODA versions of III are in both 4k sets. (If you buy the new blu-ray set, you don't get the theatrical.)

The press release also says:
Both 4K Ultra HD sets include new bonus content

I take that to mean each set has the bonus material. I guess there is some question as to whether the standard 4k set will have the legacy material, but I doubt that takes up much disc space (especially if it is in SD - I don't believe it was in HD for the blu-ray release).

I think the Limited 4k set includes the book and prints but the disc content is the same. That's the way I read it.

BTW, shame on Paramount for the confusing press release. We shouldn't have to parse every word to find out what's what.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BTW, shame on Paramount for the confusing press release. We shouldn't have to parse every word to find out what's what.

I agree, Sam. This is one of the most unclear press releases I have seen in some time. And I say that by looking at all the questions concerning clarity coming from other Internet sites and Facebook postings. It's not just here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Heads up!

Target is selling the Limited Collector's Edition for $106

TCM Shop is selling it for $114.95

It has been suggested these prices reflect the actual discount selling price once Amazon goes through its usual period of price reductions prior to actual release date. We shall see.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This was just posted by Bill Hunt. I suspect more information will be revealed as the day goes on...

[Editor’s 8 AM Update: The Godfather 4K discs will feature both Dolby Vision and HDR10 high dynamic range. We’re awaiting a second confirmation from the studio as to whether BOTH 4K sets include the same number of discs (and thus the same disc-based content) or not—the official press release isn’t clear on this point. And despite studio’s initial clarification in response to our questions this morning, retail sources suggest that there’s a 3-disc 4K set (3 UHDs) and a 5-disc 4K set (4 UHDs and 1 BD) and it’s only the 5-disc set that includes the legacy special features (on BD only) and both the original theatrical and 1991 versions of The Godfather: Part III (in 4K on the same UHD disc via seamless branching). As soon as we’re able to confirm this 100% we’ll post an update right here.]

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'm not sure why there's confusion. The press release has a section detailing what's in the big deluxe box. If it had a unique disc it would be stated here. All it says is:

In addition to the widely available 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray set, a 4K Ultra HD Limited Collector’s Edition will also be released in deluxe packaging and includes a hardcover coffee table book featuring stunning photographs, as well as portrait art prints on archival paper.

And then the press release states the theatrical and 1991 cuts of The Godfather Part III will be in the 4K "Collections." So that's it. Both 4K sets are 5 discs.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
If you click on the amazon link for the standard set, it says "THREE DISCS."

The Ultimate Box set has 5 discs.

So no, GF3 Theatrical Version and 1991 version are NOT included in the standard set. only CODA.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

So no, GF3 Theatrical Version and 1991 version are NOT included in the standard set. only CODA.
And yet the product description on that page says, "Includes both the Theatrical and 1991 Cuts of THE GODFATHER PART III, as well as a special features Blu-ray featuring all-new content."

And the big, deluxe box says, "Number of disc: 1." :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug

It's usually best to take Amazon's physical media product information with a grain of salt, particularly on unreleased titles. ;)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
And here's the answer.

TL;DR Both 4K UHD box sets in the US are 5 discs

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yes, I’m glad Bill cleared it up.

I read HighDefDiscNews too, but they’re simply wrong here, not to mention incredibly rude to people who follow them on Twitter.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Seeing as there are no AMC theaters anywhere near me I won't be able to see them in theaters.
We have one up the road, but they never have special engagements of anything. In fact, I was going to use some points I had built up to see the new West Side Story there and they didn't even have it. But they had other films that they had been running for weeks. It's only a six screen theater, but that's still a poor excuse. So having an AMC is no guarantee of anything, including seeing first run releases. I've pretty much written them off my agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks