What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: The Andy Griffith Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
"Barney Mends a Broken Heart" runs 24:31 and is missing the epilogue. I don't know that I've ever seen that, other than during first run, and couldn't tell you what content it added. I do know that the episode feels complete (basically - I don't miss that it's not there).

"The Darlings are Coming" runs 23:08. I didn't watch it again (watched it the day it came in) but don't recall seeing/hearing "Salty Dog" during that viewing. The time difference somewhat accounts for it being missing. While I like the song if that's all that's missing it really doesn't bother me as it adds nothing to the plot other than a pleasant diversion.
Mmmmm-Boy! Still edited episodes for no reason after all these years. Love it!

Wonder if "The Sermon For Today" still has the broken laugh track issue, where it just stops about halfway through?

And, I'm sure that one first season episode still has the glitch coming back from commercial (since the content is the same): Barney remembering, "I'm gonna get you, Dep-u-teh!" is a little chopped off, there.

Minor, I know. But there has been time to fix these things.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yep... and I really don't get the omission of "Salty Dog", outside CBS's typical "we don't own the rights so cut it" mentality (and often cutting it even when they *do* own the rights), as it's in the public domain.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Disappointing news that there are still edited episodes and they didn't add the option for playing the episodes with the commercial at the end like season 1 but I am still looking forward to receiving it whenever Amazon finally gets around to shipping an in stock item. Very common with them these days. I was okay with the flaws in I Dream of Jeannie so I'm sure I will be with these as well.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
What really gets me when it comes to edits like this that get perpetually released, is that companies spend real $$ on work to "colorize" episodes while not giving a toss about anything else that might be incomplete and fixable.

Ah, first-world problems, I know.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
I was okay with the flaws in I Dream of Jeannie so I'm sure I will be with these as well.
I feel like I took the right approach with this one and waited for reviews. Will not be picking it up.

I honestly wish Mill Creek would go away. They do some good stuff with their releases, only to tarnish them with glitches, compression and lo-tech anomalies (like the green macro-blocking, screen tearing and framing issues in "The Outlaws is Coming" from their Three Stooges release, fer instance.

And, the still-edited Bundys. Glitchy Quantum Leap (but the music was all or almost all there!).. They just don't quite.. it's never exactly.. but, the compression, though!

And I still love physical media. Just, when it's done right.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I feel like I took the right approach with this one and waited for reviews. Will not be picking it up.

I honestly wish Mill Creek would go away. They do some good stuff with their releases, only to tarnish them with glitches, compression and lo-tech anomalies (like the green macro-blocking, screen tearing and framing issues in "The Outlaws is Coming" from their Three Stooges release, fer instance.

And, the still-edited Bundys. Glitchy Quantum Leap (but the music was all or almost all there!).. They just don't quite.. it's never exactly.. but, the compression, though!

Mill Creek still puts out occasional disappointments like Jeannie but overall all they have really improved over the past 2 years compared to what they were a few years ago. I have several other tv shows on blu from them that are all fine and their Ultraman releases have been very good.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

TAGS is from Paramount/CBS. Mill Creek had nothing to do with this one - that's one reason why it's actually pretty good. Sure, there are flaws, but they are, IMHO, rather trivial, especially compared to the lousy job Mill Creek did with IDOJ.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I didn't notice before that there is no SDH *or* CC on this release beyond S1. Disappointing but at least, unlike modern production/audio mixes, you can hear the voices just fine.
Damn. I'm not being funny, but I plan on being deaf someday. My hearing now isn't very good, and I'm 48.

May have to rethink buying this, and just stick with streaming which has CC

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mmmmm-Boy! Still edited episodes for no reason after all these years. Love it!

Wonder if "The Sermon For Today" still has the broken laugh track issue, where it just stops about halfway through?

And, I'm sure that one first season episode still has the glitch coming back from commercial (since the content is the same): Barney remembering, "I'm gonna get you, Dep-u-teh!" is a little chopped off, there.

Minor, I know. But there has been time to fix these things.
I'm guessing it most likely has to do with the cost and time associated to what likely means going back to the original films elements for something that very very few would ever notice. Otherwise, it would have been done long ago.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
TAGS is from Paramount/CBS. Mill Creek had nothing to do with this one - that's one reason why it's actually pretty good. Sure, there are flaws, but they are, IMHO, rather trivial, especially compared to the lousy job Mill Creek did with IDOJ.
Oh, I'm hip to that. I'm not even sure why I let little issues like the Andy Griffith edits bother me so much-- I have the unedited episodes from other sources, I still have the Bluray series on order and, will, likely wait a donkey's age for it to be shipped. Jeannie? Just a big NO for me. Got the original release dvds, that's enough, apparently.

I still wish Mill Creek would kinda go away, though.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
So, I'm on the fence about buying this. I have the original DVD sets. Is the picture quality THAT much of an improvement?? I'm a little gun-shy after that recent IDOJ debacle.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
So, I'm on the fence about buying this. I have the original DVD sets. Is the picture quality THAT much of an improvement?? I'm a little gun-shy after that recent IDOJ debacle.
For me the improved dynamic range is worth it, but I'm watching on an unusually large screen. For the price it's a great value if you watch the show a lot. There's about 25 of these episodes I tend to watch a lot, and having them at this level of quality is something I enjoy. If you can get the set for around $60-$70, I'd say yes if you watch it a lot.

True, not every second of every episode is there, but this is CBS here. Comparing this set to IDOJ is unfair. They are not even in the same universe.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
W
Mine's coming via UPS Mail Innovations and is currently in town. If UPS decides "We'll be in your area so will deliver a day early" then it'll be there when I get home today. Otherwise it should arrive via USPS tomorrow.

After the debacle with I Dream of Jeannie I'm looking forward to a quality release.
Is the line correct when it plays elsewhere? Otherwise, it could be on the elements.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Always nice to be singled out in a totally non-awkward, backhanded kind of way. On behalf of even me, thanks, I think?

Never thought of it that way-- perhaps I was too harsh. I think you were right in calling me out on that (if that's in fact what this is).

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Got this for Christmas. I barely had a chance to sample it, but the color episodes look fantastic.
Overall, the episodes I've sampled look quite nice, especially the color ones (Dinner At Eight is a classic!).

They did kinda overdo the noise reduction on those later season end credits, though. You can tell it when the Seal of Good Practice (or whatever that thing was called!) and other small text is nearly obliterated. The dvds were the same way, IIRC.

But, to be fair, those original elements for the re-done sponsorless credits were probably pretty worn down 'n dirty after all the years of striking syndication prints.

So far, the episode content looks great. Shame about the persistent edits/omissions but I have those bits from other sources, so..

Not sure if there are any other edits, although some of the run times seem a little short, like Sermon For Today, though the laugh track on that one is fixed. Will do some checking with the past releases when I get more free time. Will take a while to get through the whole set nonetheless. Looking forward to revisiting some great stories and some classic Barney Fife moments: "Just don't tell m'Daughter-In-Law!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks