What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: The Andy Griffith Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agreed. One of the unusual aspects of CBS making their "Syndication Bible" public is that as consumers we got an inside look at when seasons for a series were transferred to HD and the order of the transferring between series. As a result, we know CBS/Paramount transferred many series early on in preparation for HD streaming and the DVD releases. They may have even been more aggressive then some other studios in this case. We also know they now have a large backlog of unreleased HD masters available. While it may have taken a while for them to come to this conclusion (i.e., putting out these complete series on blu-ray for a reasonable price), better late then never. Now we just have to see how far they will take it. Seems like a "no brainer" but who knows for sure. We now have the "Incredible Hulk" release, so we know other studios are also testing the waters.
Universal has been doing this pretty consistently. Parks and Rec and The Office preceded Hulk.

Paramount, though... remember last year's Mission Impossible set? One of the major reasons I bought that when it was released was to cast my vote for more classic releases of shows on Blu they own and have HD ready. I think that was the test balloon, and it may have been successful enough to warrant further releases.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Those types of commercials were done with by the time Andy premiered in the fall of 1960. Those "in-commercials" were throughout most of the 1950's with series such as Burns and Allen and Jack Benny.

No, they weren't. They are on most (though maybe not all) episodes of the Season One blu-ray set.

Maybe you and I are talking about different things. What I'm talking about is at the very end of each episode. It's an additional bit of 'story' that integrates the sponsor's product into the scene. Like the "Guitar Man" episode, after the syndicated version of the episode ends, in the CBS 'night-of-broadcast' version, there's a bonus scene where Andy and Opie hear back from him (via letter) and they start talking about Kellogg's cereal (or whoever the sponsor was).

The fact the products were integrated into the 'story' makes it a little more important (to my mind) for them to be there.

There were in-show ads for other 1960s shows, such as The Beverly Hillbillies. The MPI sets of Season 1/2 episodes contains many of these, too, such as Granny using Marlboro cigarette boxes for her spice rack, Jethro eating Corn Flakes, etc.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
What I'm talking about is at the very end of each episode. It's an additional bit of 'story' that integrates the sponsor's product into the scene. Like the "Guitar Man" episode, after the syndicated version of the episode ends, in the CBS 'night-of-broadcast' version, there's a bonus scene where Andy and Opie hear back from him (via letter) and they start talking about Kellogg's cereal (or whoever the sponsor was).
Those are a nice addition to the season one blu-ray release. I recall them being included within some of the DVDs but only as a bonus material and not as part of the episodes. Definitely, works must better when integrated. I recall Sanka being one of the sponsors. Unfortunately, I doubt they will go to the trouble for this release (other than keeping what was done for season 1), but we can hope,

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I doubt they will go to the trouble for this release (other than keeping what was done for season 1), but we can hope,
Unfortunately, I'll go so far as to say that there's no chance of it happening. Considering how terribly the first season must have sold, I can understand why Paramount isn't spending a dime more than they have to and am just happy that the series is coming to Blu-ray.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm wondering if Paramount looked at sales figures for those of us who purchased S1 at "fire sale" prices and thought "Well... ~$10/season is good enough if they'll pay that per season for a full series release so why not?"

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately, I'll go so far as to say that there's no chance of it happening. Considering how terribly the first season must have sold, I can understand why Paramount isn't spending a dime more than they have to and am just happy that the series is coming to Blu-ray.
This is sadly typical. "Here are the prints, put 'em on disc, tell the rubes you're welcome." The amount of special edition style releases are greatly overwhelmed by the barebones releases. Even those that have a lot of bonus features leave off sponsor ads. I would love to see the I Dream of Jeannie contest spots and other promo ads with the actors. What gets lost in the mists of time are the little things that made their way into episodes like contest results that just come off as weird in reruns. At least the Andy Griffith sponsor stuff can get lopped without losing a plot, but I'd actually pay to see them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I appreciate seeing those on occasion as an adult but didn't like them at all when a kid watching the series in first run. They just didn't (and still don't) have that natural feel and always came off like someone reading a script to hawk a product. Now it's a nostalgia thing but I'd not miss them if they are absent. But I'm also not someone who bothers with or wants "bonus features" as I rarely, if ever, watch them. I'll be quite happy with a "bare bones" release, especially if that means a lower price. When it comes down to it all I want are unedited episodes.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If it is still wrapped in the cellophane/unwrapped, then just send it back for a full refund and you can then get the Blu-Ray version of the title.
Opened to make sure the discs were on the spindles - weirdest packaging but not watched yet,

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
True and I suspect we will get a I love lucy set given the popularity but no new night of broadcast episodes just season 1 and 2. And the same extras ported over.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
True and I suspect we will get a I love lucy set given the popularity but no new night of broadcast episodes just season 1 and 2. And the same extras ported over.
Whatever their plans for Lucy, it'd better be a Final Word release, no missing scenes or extras.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pretty good price on this upcoming set, at Deep Discount DVD -- but it's listed as MOD:

Manufactured on Demand means that batches of sets are put together as needed instead of hundreds of assembled sets sitting and taking up valuable warehouse space. Generally these are traditionally pressed discs, but they could also be burned. MacGyver, Charmed, Hulk, Office, Parks and Rec, all of those are MoD with traditionally replicated discs.

Burned on Demand means burned discs.

The key here is that the official Blu-ray logo is on the art. That usually means pressed discs. Burned discs have a generic "Blu-Ray Disc" written on the art/case.

Anyway, MoD is where TV on Blu has retreated to. Online only sales, which is fine. At least it's being released.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I hope this means that Paramount is wising up to the fact that most of us who collect TV shows want the entire series. We have in the past been frustrated by single season releases being stalled, or else after all seasons have been released they release a complete series box set which costs less than the combined cost of the single seasons. As an example, I paid much more for my Mission Impossible single season DVDs than I did for the Blu-ray box set.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I hope this means that Paramount is wising up to the fact that most of us who collect TV shows want the entire series. We have in the past been frustrated by single season releases being stalled, or else after all seasons have been released they release a complete series box set which costs less than the combined cost of the single seasons. As an example, I paid much more for my Mission Impossible single season DVDs than I did for the Blu-ray box set.
Totally agree as the time for single season DVD releases is over and done with as it's either release the entire series at once or not at all, which should be the way to go, whatever format they decide to go with, as it makes a lot more sense now to do so in this fashion.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Opened to make sure the discs were on the spindles - weirdest packaging but not watched yet,
You can always tell them the cellophane peeled off when you received it and you might be able to get a full refund for it, give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks