1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PHE Press Release: Star Trek TOS: Season 3 (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Your player should display the Angle icon when the branches occur.
    Doug

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Originally Posted by Michael Rogers , I'll turn them back on and see if I notice a pattern.

3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Paul, do have the first and second season BD sets of TOS? And if you do, are the audio pops occurring there? I hear no pops at all and I'm using a Sony BD player.

I have only seen Spock's Brain, Enterprise Incident and The Day of the Dove. I'm looking forward to see those episodes you're experiencing the pops in.

4. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I experience minor skips when the FX branching switches on, sometimes the audio goes off entirely! If I hit pause and then push play again, it's corrected, but it's a bit annoying (and I have a Samsung BD player). I'm only watching the new FX as a novelty, so when I go back to watch the episodes again at a later date, it will likely be with the original FX.

5. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Nelson, yes I have all three TOS sets; and I'd have to say, yes, I've experienced audio popping on all three. It doesn't seem terribly consistent though. While it probably is hardware related, if it is these are the first titles that have ever given my Panasonic DMP-BD55 any trouble.

6. Nelson Au

Sorry to hear that it's a hardware thing. I can see it being an annoyance while you're trying to enjoy the show.

7. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Is there a reason why they didn't include any Starfleet Access commentaries on any of the episodes in the season 3 set? I really enjoyed that feature on the first two sets and was both surprised and disappointed that they completely omitted it from the 3rd set. Some of the episodes could have really benefitted from it, talking about both the scripting/production trivia as well as the various special effects upgrades.

8. Nelson Au

My understanding for why there are no Starfleet Access features because the Starfleet Access features in the S1 and S2 sets were created under Toshiba's time when they were preparing the materials for the HD-DVD. Since S3 had no materials prepared at the time Toshiba closed down the HD-DVD, there is nothing prepared for S3 and I guess CBS felt it wasn't cost effective to get the crew together to make new materials.

9. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I'll second Nelson's thinking here. From what I can tell, they weren't finished with the S2 set when the HD-DVD situation changed. As it is, the S1 Blu set had all but one of the assortment of PIP commentaries. The S2 set had only two commentaries, but I believe it would have had more materials if HD-DVD had hung on longer. And S3 could have used a few as well for "The Enterprise Incident" (if just to talk about the new effects and how they threw in a Romulan Bird of Prey with the Klingon ships), "The Tholian Web" and perhaps a couple of others. But with no new materials around, they at least threw in the alternate cut of the 2nd Pilot, for which I'm grateful.

The thing is, the production story of the 3rd season wasn't a particularly happy one. If you read "Inside Star Trek: The Real Story" by Herb Solow and the late, great Bob Justman, you'll get a solid idea of how things were going downhill. If you read the Shatner book or the other cast accounts, it just deepens the mire. Essentially, Roddenberry was no longer around on a full-time basis and the budget was cut even deeper than in the first two seasons - which is why you only see them go outside on location for a single episode, and why much of the shows of the final season took place on the ship or on small sets. An episode like "City on the Edge of Forever" would have been impossible to make in the 3rd season. And by the time the season is done, most of the key backstage people had already left - Their cameraman Gerald Finnerman, almost all of the earlier writers including Gene Coon and DC Fontana, their regular directors from the earlier seasons Joe Pevney and Marc Daniels, and of course Bob Justman as well. The surprise came later when the show became a hit after the fact, and we all know what happened next...

Re "Spock's Brain" - The Blu-ray set gave me a chance to watch it for the first time in many years. And wow, has time not been kind to this episode. Considering this was the first one to air, this was a REALLY BAD OMEN for fans at the time. I actually burst out laughing twice when they had Kirk musing out loud about "What do they WANT with his BRAIN?" That said, the music for the episode is very nice and you can tell they've changed over the costumes to a different fabric. Not to mention what they did to Scotty's hair...

Re "The Enterprise Incident" - I too felt this was a fine episode when I saw it as a kid. Looking at it now, it doesn't hold up, even with the new effects. The main problem is that the whole ruse doesn't make any logical sense. D.C. Fontana's original script was more about the attempt ot steal the cloaking device, but with a lot more subtlety. Fontana was correctly unhappy when she saw how the piece was simplified so much that Kirk is running around the Romulan ship with a large machine in his arms, which just begs the question of how he can possibly get away with this. That and the idea that the Romulan Commander could be that much enthralled by Spock that she just doesn't see what's really going on. At the same time, Fontana also saw an interesting story about McCoy's daughter turned into one of the silliest episodes of the whole show - "The Way to Eden".
    As a kid, I remember seeing the show in syndication in Los Angeles, and the episodes were scrambled between the various seasons, so you never knew what would be on when. It wasn't until I was given a guide to the series that I knew what eps actually came first.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Just a general all seasons question: have they fixed all of the old issues from the first DVD releases, like missing music from City on the Edge and the changed sound of the leaves? Anything like that.

11. Nelson Au

Thanks Kevin. I'm glad I still have the HD-DVD set to have that missing Starfleet Access for The Galileo Seven.

Greg, regarding fixing things that were missing from the first DVD release, the blu ray remedies everything as far as I can tell. But one thing was messed up and I'll get to that.

The Cage is nothing less then spectacular! It's got a near feature film quality to it now. I say that because of the cinematography. The set designs and such were of course limited to what they could afford, but it really sparkles now! The audio for the singing plants has been fixed.

Regarding The City on the Edge of Forever on the first season BD, the original score of that episode and the song, "Goodnight Sweetheart" was restored when Paramount bought the rights for the song back in 1999 for the first DVD release. So I am not sure what music you mean that is missing. The BD has it too of course.

Another poster here noticed however a glitch on the blu-ray for City. During the close-up shots of the tricorder, as Spock is showing Kirk history after McCoy changed it, there is a glitch. The blu-rays allow you to watch with the original optical effects, or with the new enhanced CGI effects. They had replaced those close-up shots of the tricorder screen with a new CGI effect. However, during one of the close-ups, when viewing the original effects, the screen on the tircorder has the enhanced effects when it should be the original. Since I watched it with the enhanced effects, I missed that.

When the remastered Star Trek were airing in syndication and before they were released on standard DVD, the episode, Paradise Syndrone made an error with the deflector beam that came out of the obelisk. Miramanee mentions the blue flame that comes out of the temple. That beam was red! This blu-ray releases fixes that and it's blue now. (I think it was fixed on the standard DVD release too)

Are there other errors fixed? I think on the whole, we've been very fortunate with this terrific release.

12. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Thanks, Nelson. I haven't bought any TOS since the orange discs that had a couple of episodes on them, and was just trying to remember what was missing and whether it was back. I wasn't all that clear on what that was, but it sounds like everything's fine now.

13. Osato

Osato Producer

Watching Day of the Dove right now. I have to say I am really enjoying season 3 of TOS on blu ray. I sold my DVD sets in 2006, when I heard about the remastered series coming. I've really missed having the episodes. I think I'm enjoying season 3 more than even the first two seasons due to the fact that I haven't seen season 3 episodes as much. Plus I really am enjoying the new effects for the remastered project as well as the work that was done to remaster all of the live action footage.

Star Trek The Original Series has never looked this good in terms of video and sounded as good in terms of audio as it does on these blu ray sets.

I hope Star Trek fans both old and new are enjoying these sets as much as I am.

I also hope the sales are strong enough to warrant some of the other Trek series coming to blu ray soon too.

14. Nelson Au

I've been enjoying S3 too!

Did you notice all the make-up come off the Klingon's when they grab Chekov and Kirk and leave marks on their tunics?! I never noticed that before.

Just saw That Which Survives and Losira is looking good!

15. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

After viewing all 3 seasons of the remastered TOS, it really makes me want similar treatment done to TNG. It's a shame that its technically more difficult for them though, given the video transfers. I keep holding off on getting the old existing TNG season sets in hopes that Paramount will release better sets eventually.

16. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Yea, ive noticed that. Same as when Kirk knocks Chekov against the wall. Chekov gets brown paint on the wall that came off his hands, after he tried to have his way with Kang's wife.

Also look for green paint on Kirk's hand in the episode Whom Gods Destroy, when the Orion Slave aka, Batgirl, Yvonne Craig tried to knife him as he slept.

17. Nelson Au

Hey Rick!

Oh yeah, I did see all the make-up rub off on the walls. I bet they painted the walls a lot!

Whom Gods Destroy is not one of my favorite episodes, but I'll watch it for completeness sake. When I saw that episode on the standard remastered DVD, I also noticed that she was bathed in green light too. So it should be interesting to see the BD.

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I've watched the first two seasons, and I now up to disc 3 of Season 3. Even though I'm 37, I have not seen most of the episodes, so many of these are "new" for me. It's a been a real treat. It's also been great seeing some of the make-up and body doubles. Little did they know back in the 1960's we'd be watching these in 1080p on large displays one day. :) I love how well these sets were created having both the original and new effects as well as audio. They did a great job restoring these. They look fantastic and film-like. Really top notch treatment as they deserve.

19. Osato

Osato Producer

Agreed on TNG. I have not bought the DVD sets and continue to hold off for the same reason.