1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PHE Press Release: Star Trek TOS: Season 3 (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Andrew Timson
    Probably not. They were able to do this because the set has one less disc than S1-S2; it would have to be at least somewhat thicker to fit that extra disc tray, and I don't think they make anything between the two sizes.

(Is it really smaller than a one-disc DVD? I knew it was small, but didn't notice that it was that small. Then again, with Fox's TV releases from this year all being in the one-disc-thickness six-disc cases, and other companies reissuing old titles in that size, it seems to be the way of the future.)

I didn't mention it, because I couldn't come up with anything beyond bitching that it doesn't match its companions.

2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Yes, I noticed it too and forgot to mention it being so amazed with how WNMHGB looks!

I did compare the thickness to the S1 and S2 cases and it looks about half as thick as those.

3. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I'm still waiting for my copy from Amazon, but I still have episodes from S2 to watch to tide me over! By no means am I trekker/ie, but I grew up watching classic Trek on the CBC and I have a soft spot for S3, even if many of the episodes are mediocre. Despite their silliness, even the weak episodes are fun to watch and the amazing AV quality of the BD sets certainly helps! Looking forward to seeing William Shatner portray a woman trapped in his body in HD! :)

4. Osato

Osato Producer

Really looking forward to Season 3. I just finished season 2 about a week ago. Amazon just shipped my copy of Season 3 on Friday.
    I have several episodes that I really enjoy in season 3. CBS has done such a wonderful job with seasons 1 and 2.

Hopefully some more Star Trek releases are coming in 2010 as well?

5. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Andrew Timson
    All that's left at this point in terms of ready-to-release material is the animated series and Enterprise. They could theoretically be doing a TNG-R, but I'd expect it to hit TV first again, meaning it probably wouldn't be out on disc in 2010.

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    ^ Plus, I would expect Paramount/CBS to have mentioned they're actually working on TNG instead of just popping it on us.

7. Nelson Au

My hope, and I sound like a broken record, is Star Trek The Motion Picture DE.

I'm still working on S2 of TOS and these blu rays are just wonderful!

I never realized so many of the women are wearing wigs! That kind of stuff shows more.

8. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

I seem to notice the seam and the mold line on Leonard Nimoy's pointed ear appliances much more.

I also can kind of see the lace edging of William Shatner's topee in some scenes.

9. Nelson Au

Yes Michael, those two things were evident the first time I played the HD-DVD version of S1!

10. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

So the Shat had a hairpiece as far back as season 1? I always thought it happened between seasons 2 and 3. Too bad he didn't hang onto the one he had for the first two seasons. It always looked the most natural to me.

11. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    From what i understand, he did. Cause they always turned up missing at the end of the year. Same with Nichelle Nichols wig.

12. Nelson Au

If you have seen him in The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits and The Man From Uncle, you'll see that he's wearing a piece there too. So it probably goes back to the 50's. I agree, they do a fantastic job with hair pieces back then, it's really hard to tell until the BD came out. By the way, while were on the topic, watch What Are Little Girls Made Of. When he's laying on the table and there's a profile shot of Kirk, he lifts his head and you can see it for a brief second lift off in the back.

I hate to be the one to burst any bubbles. I just realized the other day Majel is wearing a wig!

13. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

I'm finally having the chance to check out this new set. While I was watching "Spock's Brain," I was reminded of something I noticed a long time ago, but haven't seen repeated elsewhere (and if it has been, forgive my repetition). But at about 33:48 into the episode, De Kelly's having a hard time keeping a straight face while "walking" Spock's body (can you blame him?), and has to turn away from the camera just as he's breaking into a grin. Great stuff!

- Mark

14. Osato

Osato Producer

I too really want the DE of TMP as well. It should have been released on blu ray this year. Hopefully with the next dip on the films. The decision not to release it left me just picking up the Trilogy set.

I'm really looking forward to watching Season 3!! I know it's the lesser season, but I have some favorite episodes from the season none the less.

I really like the use of new music for Season 3 and also I really enjoy some of the new / different camera angles used on the bridge.

15. Nelson Au

Tim, cool avatar!

I've always liked the original Bob Peak poster art! But I see it's the newer altered cover to the DVD.

I agree with everything you said about the 3rd season.

16. Nelson Au

I watched Spock's Brain today. I only watch this episode and The Way to Eden and The Children Shall Lead when there is a new DVD and BD release. And I saw the superior Enterprise Incident last night!

Anyway, Mark, I looked for De Kelley trying to hold back any laughter. I didn't see it.

This episode does have some pretty neat things going on. A real back projection view screen on the bridge. Sulu is in command. A position I think was robbed from him when they decided to give that level of command to Scotty. No offense to Scotty, he's a great character, but Sulu was established as an experienced combat officer. The new music was very cool and yes, the new camera work and angles on the bridge is a nice change.

Since I don't watch Spock's Brain very often, though I've seen it probably up to 3 digits over the past 40 odd years! It never occurred to me till today that it felt like such a knock-off or perhaps an homage to those 1950's type films of Amazon women who rule a planet and dominates men. (Queen of Outer Space with Gabor) The way the women were dressed was like those pulpy sci fi rags of the 30's and 40's too.

Funny after all this time, I finally saw another view of Spock's Brain beside Marj Dusay saying, "Brain and Brain, what is Brain!" or the Wonder Year's homage to this episode.

I read a surprising self review of The Enterprise Incident by DC Fontana. I always thought Enterprise Incident was a very strong episode. But I suppose she's right to say that the Romulan Commander was pretty dumb for not seeing right through Spock's plan. And Spock wasn't exactly acting in character. (Though Fontana later corrected by writing a story that shows that Vulcan's can also have romantic relationships outside of Pon Farr, which is strictly a mating ritual.) Nimoy and Linville both felt that the seduction scene needed to be done in a more alien way, rather then how humans would be kissing.

And there is also a mention that the original draft script, the cloaking device was already known from Balance of Terror and that this clocking device was a newer superior version. This time, I listened for and heard very subtle dialogue left in the final filmed version where Spock says this cloaking device renders moving ships totally invisible to sensors. So that finally answers that question for me, which is, why is this cloaking device such a wanted item by the Federation.

17. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I recently starting watching ST:TOS Season 3 on my Panasonic DMP-BD55, which has firmware 2.1 applied, and I was a bit distressed by the amount of audio pops in the first two episodes I watched. So far I've watched were Spectre of the Gun and Elaan of Troyius, and the later, in particular, had an inordinate number of pops.

I guess I am trying to figure out if this issue is inherint in the audio track, I am currently watching the episodes with the new special effects and 5.1 audio tracks, or if my player or equipment is somehow at fault. I am going over HDMI between my player and my receiver, which is not capable of bitstreaming, so the decoding is being handled in the DMP-BD55.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

18. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Do the pops occur at the branching points between the original effects and the new effects? If so, I'd say your player has a problem w/ branching. My players (Samsung & LG) both skip about a half second or so at each branch, but there's no audible pop.

Doug

19. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Doug,

I suppose it is possible. I'll try to pay more attention when watching subsequent episodes. My concern though is being able to tell where there are branch points. I don't notice any video skipping however, just popping.

Thanks!

20. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

If by "pops" you mean audio pops, I've noticed them too but only on a few Enterprise flybys (and I hear them in the rears). I have a Panny BD30 and use the internal 5.1 decoder.