1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PHE Press Release: Star Trek TOS: Season 3 (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Yes, for TOS, it was worth it to me to pay a little more to be able to buy it in person.

I can wait to check out WNMHGB and report back.

2. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

At Best Buy, you can still buy it for $65.99 online and then go pick it up at the store.

I'm not sure anymore where the impression Season 3 isn't up to par comes from. It's got plenty of classics, and a few embarrassments. But I can say the same thing about Season 2 and it's often regaurded as the best.

Perhaps it's just because it has Spock's Brain? I'll always remember that episode fondly just because of "The Wonder Years" though.

3. dbailey100

dbailey100 Agent

David
    I've waited for almost 5 years to own Season 3. I'm watching the episodes throughout this week and weekend. I love the series and the groovy ladies of the 1960's.

4. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I got my local best buy store to pricematch with walmart for 52 bucks.

Jacob

5. Nelson Au

Nice job Jacob to get them to price match.

I just watched WNMHGB. It's a very nice transfer, but no where as nice as the production episodes. The film elements has some long vertical lines or scratches in 2 spots, they go away quickly and doesn't take away from the enjoyment. There's lots of dust and specks through-out. This is not a mix of clean and old elements like The Cage. This is the whole thing, the entire film that was un-earthed is what we get. On the BD, it's as sharp as the remastered film elements on the other episodes.

There is one line of dialogue that is not cut, in the scene when Kirk and Spock are playing chess and talk about Spock's human relative. There's one line cut right before Kelso cuts in, Kirk says: "But you may learn to enjoy it someday". Referring to one of your Earth emotions. That's a huge line to be cut out! And rather an amazing bit of foreshadowing to Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Color wise, it's really good and at first I thought it was the hi-definition quality of the Where No Man Has Gone Before from the Season One box set. I took a very quick look at the S1 disc to compare. The color and sharpness is better there, color is more vibrant. You can see more pink in Shatner's face. But nary a speck of film grain! The original film of WNMHGB is grainy like film is supposed to be.

There's one piece of music on Volume 1 of the Star Trek original score audio CD. It's a short piece and was used for the end credits of WNMHGB! That's cool!

I also had a look at The Cage, the remastered version. That looks so much better in that the way it's lit and filmed, it looks more like a film. The scenes on the ship looks so much more moody. More in line with Jerry Finnerman's work. I also had a very quick look at the Extended version of The Cage, it has the Gene Roddenberry intro and is the mix of black and white and color. Wow, the color elements look as good as the full color version. No surprise. The B&W elements are a bit soft and scratchy.

If I were a reviewer, I'd say, Highly Recommended!

Now, onto the third Season!

6. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Hey Nelson, in The Paradise Syndrome, did they ever go back and make the "blue light come out of the temple". Or is it still red, on the new effects.

7. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

8. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Does Walmart B&M match their online prices on this? If so, they're selling Season 3 BD for $52.86, and that's where I'd pick it up. Thanks, if anyone can confirm this.

Update: D'oh! Looks like they don't carry it in their stores. Nevermind. Back to BB.

9. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    If you're looking for another B&M store that shares the same Amazon price-- try Fry's Electronics. They have it.

10. Nelson Au

Hey guys-

Rick, I just took a quick look at Paradise Syndrome for you. The flame is blue! And the shot of the asteroid moving away looked really well done! I was impressed by the first shots of this episode shot at the park location. The image is so clear, you can see the vasoline or whatever they used to create the haze or soft look of those shots. It's apparent as the camera pans, and the stuff on the lens moves with the pan.

Doug, why pay more to have it in person? Well, because I'm stupid? The very first DVD set I bought from Amazon arrived with dented and mildly crushed DVD packaging, but the shipping box was fine. This was not a critical TV series in terms of maintaining pristine packaging, but I was very disappointed. Since then, all the DVDs and BD's have arrived in excellent condition. But when it comes to Star Trek, I'll prefer to go to the store in person and select the best looking box. When I can price match, I will. I've been busy the past 2 weeks with work and I didn't take time to look around at prices. This is the last set, so I was okay to splurge a little as a reward and it made me happy!

If I have time later this week, I'll see if I can go back and have them match the Fry's or Walmart price, if not, I can let it go.

As for Spock's Brain, I try to imagine what it would have been like had it been produced as a comedy! There's conflicting information if it was meant to be a comedy or not and Freddy would have none of that comedy in Star Trek.

11. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I got mine from Amazon yesterday and will give it a spin after all the Christmas stuff with the family settles down a bit.

Paramount has really done a fantastic job in getting this series to Blu and I tip my hat off to them for taking care of the Trek family of fans with such high regard.

12. Nelson Au

Agreed! I hope Paramount/CBS reads this site and hears our appreciation!

I really look forward to the Special Collectors Director Edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture on Blu Ray!

13. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Thanks, but no Fry's here in FL, just a lot of fryin' in the sun. I'm in no rush (haven't gone through the first two seasons on BD, yet), so Amazon it is.

14. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

Would you believe that the "you might learn to enjoy it someday" line was cut by standards and practices because it was thought to be too suggestive?

15. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Do you know something i dont? I have not heard of the directors cut coming to Blu, anytime soon.

16. Nelson Au

Rick, I know nothing! I was just being optimistic that it will come, or hope that it would let the powers that be know that we want it. Sorry, I realize now as written, that could be interpreted as you did.

17. DrBenway

DrBenway Auditioning

John Egan
    Should I just assume that Star trek S3 won't play on a Panasonic DMP-BD10A?

18. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

I hope to see a blu ray release with HD effects too. But I am also glad the theatrical versions of Trek 1 and 6 are on a modern video format. Trek 1 was only released early on in it's original cut and Trek 6 was NEVER released on video in it's original cut until BD ( many Trek fans even thought the Operation Retrieve stuff in 6 was always there and it wasn't)

19. Nelson Au

Michael, I didn't know that line in WNMHGB, "you might learn to enjoy it someday" was cut because it was considered suggestive. That's not how I interpreted it. I don't know what they could have been thinking.... Thanks!

20. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Got mine in the mail yesterday. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the very slim packaging. While similar in appearance to seasons 1 and 2, season 3 is quite a bit thinner than either of those, despite containing 6 discs. The spine of the set is thinner than a single disc DVD, and very close to a single disc Blu-Ray. Can slimmer versions of seasons 1 and 2 be far behind?