1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PHE Press Release: Star Trek TOS: Season 3 (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 6, 2009.

1. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    1970's style act breaks? Whoever wrote the press release must have been unaware the Quinn Martin shows were already doing it in the '60's.

And a film collector actually approached CBS/Paramount without any fear of legal action?

2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

trekmovie.com has a new preview image from Where No Man Has Gone Before, the original Star Trek pilot that was never aired with the alternate opening. This is included in the Season 3 BD set. Plus trekmovie also shows the same disc contents breakdowns as listed in Ron's first post above.

I don't think this image is a revelation, since it's a screen cap. But it is exciting to see this set is coming in 2 weeks!

[​IMG]

3. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

There's a fair amount to not-like about season 3, but there's some great episodes in there too, IMO.

"Spectre of the Gun" has always been a favorite of mine. Loved that episode's style and story.

I've had this preordered for awhile now and am looking forward to completing my Star Trek TOS bluray collection!

4. Nelson Au

I found a review for the Third Season BD set on trekweb today. Not a site I go to too often. The review is not a very technical review like you're used to on the HTF. It's more of a general review for Trek fans and consumers. Here's the link to it:

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/12/01/BluRay-Review-Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Season-3.shtml

What is interesting is his description of the Where No Man Has Gone Before un-aired pilot that was recently found. I'll cut and paste his comments here:

What does he mean by "Full Frame Shadow Box?" His way of saying Pillar box? I'll have to see what he's talking about. Given the age of the film elements, sounds like a pretty good restoration, but not like the series film elements.

And then later, he laments about the missed opportunity it was for other rarities. He's gone on to repeat an oft said thing about The Cage by another reviewer at Trekweb, whose name sounds like he was once a member here, that there was a restored verison that was only out in 1988 or 89 on VHS and has never made it to DVD. I thought I knew all the versions, but I keep reading about this mysterious 3rd version.

The link to the full review is at the top of the post. If anyone has more info on this 3rd version of The Cage, I'd like to hear about it. I may or may not have that VHS of The Cage, the official Paramount one, not a bootleg. I'll have to look for it!

Post Script: Well, I'm surprised to say I found that I do own the VHS of The Cage. I shouldn't be so surprised after all! It looks like the exact same artwork on the laserdisc of The Cage, the All Color Version. I have that too. So I can't understand why the reviewer is saying there is another version. He says the version on the tape and LD is not on the DVD or BD, but I guess I'll have to do more study here to figure out the difference. I always thought the version on the LD and tape is the same on the DVD, no additional 2 or 3 seconds of footage that are claimed to be missing on the DVD and soon to be released BD.

5. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Is he talking about the Roddenberry bumpers, that explain why some of the footage is black and white? It was shot on the Trek movie sets as i recall.

6. Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie Stunt Coordinator

Scott
    Nelson, here's a link to the referenced story on TrekWeb about the different versions of "The Cage":
    http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=491ad7dcb7e57

7. Nelson Au

The version of The Cage that was first released on tape and LD does have the Roddenberry bumpers where he explains this is a version with the Black and White and Color portions integrated.

Thanks Scott(Ensign Eddie). That was the trekweb article I had read a few years ago. I had forgotten the exact details for the differences. I'll re-read that more clearly and I may find time to play the LD all color version that he's talking about that has the rough edges still and audio slow downs to help bridge the footage and the original Alexander Courage musical cue during the fight that Pike has on Rigel with the Kaylar. I think this must be the 3rd version he's talking about that we ought to have on DVD and BD. I can see his point, it's got the original soundtrack and the original versions of the Keeper's voice. I thought I remembered having that version!

But I can understand Paramount's desire to put out a more polished and finished version on the DVD. Could it have had Roddenberry's stamp of approval? I guess not as he passed away before the DVD sets ever came out.

It's funny, I pulled out every version of The Cage I have. The VHS, the LD of the B&W/Color verison, the LD of the all color Collector Version(Same as the VHS), the 40th Volume set version, the box set from 2004 and the remastered box set. I'm not showing off, am I nuts? That's a lot of collecting! And soon to be 2009 BD set too!

8. Osato

Osato Producer

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Season-3-Blu-ray-Review/7192/

The above review lists 3 versions of The Cage on the new set...

"The Cage," found on disc six, is available in three versions: a special extended cut with black and white footage intermixed with color elements, the full-color episode with original special effects, and the full-color version with newly enhanced visual effects.

I just finished Season 2 yesterday. I'm ready to get started on Season 3!!

9. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce
    I have my doubts about that. Its not just the effects that would have to be re-done. Every show would have to be rescanned and reedited from scratch. In addition the tribble episode of DS9 on the ST season 2 set that has supposedly been upscalled to HD doesn't look any better than my SD version on the original DS9 set.

Doug

10. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Andrew Timson
    Probably because it's been just that--upscaled from the SD source, not recreated from the original elements.

11. Nelson Au

Tim, thanks for the link to the blu-ray.com review and the info on The Cage.

This is great! Both pilots remastered and in original effects and with CGI effects for The Cage. The Extended version is the one with the Roddenberry bumpers. The only thing missing, and I think of little value is Roddenberry's personal b&w version that I did see at a lecture he gave in the early 70's.

I had a look at the all color Special Collectors Edition laserdisc of The Cage. Wow, what a trip, I have not watched that laserdisc in about 8 years or so. You can see, as the article says, how rough it looks in terms of the reintegrated color footage. The color is not as well matched to the Menagerie color footage, and in some shots the color suddenly changes with the new footage. Nothing drastic, just not an exact color match. And the audio is not as clean in the reintegrated footage. Lots of hiss and warbles. And the Keeper's voice is the deeper voice in the later shots as they escape to the surface. In viewing the Remastered SD DVD of The Cage right afterwards, they really did a super job on getting the color balance correct to match all the inserted shots! And the contrast and brightness is so much better then the LD. The LD looks like it's so overly bright! The blu ray is going to look super!

The only thing that I didn't see in that blu-ray.com review, and I may have missed it, is what the Where No Man Has Gone Before pilot will be windowboxed or full screen or some other thing.

12. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce
    Yes thats the point. There was talk about a year ago that CBS had created some new upscale process that made the original 480i material look almost like 1080. I never bought it at the time, but if that is an example of their new process, it ain't making it!

Doug

13. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I just finished ST: TOS Season 2 last night, so bring on Season 3, baby!

14. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

David Dennis
    Very bad news............

Best Buy has decided to sell season 3 for $69.99 for the release week!!

Ten dollars more than season 2 was.

I'm not gonna buy it at that price. And believe me---I want to buy it.

Anybody know of a B & M retailer that will have a better price?

Thanks!

15. Nelson Au

Well Steve, my guess for the price going up is due to the inclusion of Where No Man Has Gone Before. It's actually $65.99 at Best Buy.

I just remembered I have a $10 coupon I could use. I guess it was a good thing to join the Best Buy rewards program!

16. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

Mine shipped today from Amazon for about $60 including the shipping and tax ($52.99 before all that)

17. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yep I took the $52.99 no shipping I'm in no hurry

I imagine all that was done with WNMHGB was to graft the cleaned up alternate footage onto the existing hidef original footage to give yo a full episode.

I remember attending a convention in Spfld Mass at the civic center in the 70's where Roddenberry was speaking, and He brought both the original Full B&W version of the Cage and a Full color Alternate version of Where no man and screened both, they were supposedly Roddenberry's personal copies so he at least had a copy of Where no man.

18. Nelson Au

Well, I just paid for the privilege of owning today! Yes, the price is $69.99, not $65.99. Oh well, out the door was $76 with tax, ouch!

I'm really curious to see if WNMHGB is window boxed, or full standard 4:3 or what.

Dave, I saw Gene in one of his San Francisco Bay area visits in the 70's too, but only saw The Cage.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

20. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Andrew Timson
    Even season three? It takes a special fan to love it. ;)