What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I get that some people think this is still the same slow turkey of a film, maybe with a coat of makeup, but I have a different take. It's easy to say "Wow it's so clear in HD." But it's more than that. The original film, when I saw it in the theater, and again on VHS, laser disc, DVD, all along, was still so grainy and shaky and sometimes blurry from all the effects passes. It just got to where that's how the film looked to me because that's how it was made and supposed to be.

This blows away anything I have ever seen of the remastered theatrical version in terms of pure clarity. I saw it streamed a while back and thought wow that's pretty great, but to see it on disc, it's like it's a whole new movie in terms of just looking at it. Everything looks like first-generation elements! Holy cow! That fly-by Enterprise scene that often takes a pounding, well, to me, it's a whole new sequence. I can't believe how sharp everything is. How much depth it has. It's beautiful to look at. I have never seen this movie look even remotely this good.

As someone who watches this more for nostalgia or sentimental reasons than for it being a great movie, I have to say, I'm blown away. Already being so familiar with every shot, and the visuals, and how the shots looked, this is something wholly breathtaking for me.

It took more than two decades but I am glad I 'm still here to see this. The clarity and dynamic range, the sound mix, the improved pace...whatever shortcomings the story has, I am thrilled to have this. There's so many interesting details to look at.

I couldn't be happier.
Agreed. It’s a slow paced film but that’s the way it was made. I actually found the pacing of wrath of khan a bit jarring when I watched it last weekend. I hadn’t watched it in quite some time.

I get that the film has a slow pace but I really have grown to enjoy this film over the years. It’s aged very well for me.

I’m hoping to finish watching the film today and diving into the extras too.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Could be. I might have been confused. :)
Google says:
(Entry 1 of 2) 1 : arranged or having parts arranged like rays. 2a : relating to, placed like, or moving along a radius. b : characterized by divergence from a center. 3 : of, relating to, or adjacent to a bodily radius.

radial​

adjective

ra·di·al | \ ˈrā-dē-əl

\

Definition of radial

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : arranged or having parts arranged like rays

2a : relating to, placed like, or moving along a radius

b : characterized by divergence from a center

3 : of, relating to, or adjacent to a bodily radius

4 : developing uniformly around a central axis

radial
noun

Definition of radial (Entry 2 of 2)

1a : a radial part

b : ray

2 : a body part (such as an artery) lying near or following the course of the radius

3 : a pneumatic tire in which the ply cords that extend to the beads are laid at approximately 90 degrees to the centerline of the tread
— called also radial-ply tire, radial tire

Other Words from radial Example Sentences Phrases Containing radial
Learn More About radial

Other Words from radial

Adjective
radially \ ˈrā-dē-ə-lē

\ adverb

Examples of radial in a Sentence​

Adjective the radial form of a starfish

Recent Examples on the Web: Adjective When Arthur Hughes, an actor with radial dysplasia, took the role at the Royal Shakespeare Company this summer, he was thought to be the first disabled person ever to do so at that theater. — New York Times, 11 July 2022 Most exoplanets have to be detected indirectly, such as through radial velocity, or through methods like transit detection, which look for nearly imperceptible dips in light across a planet’s surface. — John Wenz, Popular Mechanics, 25 Aug. 2022 Báez, who took the pitch off his radial nerve on his elbow, is considered day-to-day. — Evan Petzold, Detroit Free Press, 24 July 2022 See More

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'radial.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

Phrases Containing radial

First Known Use of radial

Adjective
1570, in the meaning defined at sense 1

Noun
1872, in the meaning defined at sense 1a

History and Etymology for radial

Adjective

Medieval Latin radialis, from Latin radius ray

Learn More About radial

Share radial

Post the Definition of radial to Facebook
Share the Definition of radial on Twitter

Time Traveler for radial

The first known use of radial was in 1570​

See more words from the same year

Dictionary Entries Near radial

radiac

radial

radial arm
See More Nearby Entries

Statistics for radial

Last Updated

10 Sep 2022

Look-up Popularity
Top 5% of words

Cite this Entry

“Radial.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/radial. Accessed 10 Sep. 2022.

Seen & Heard
People are talking about

More Definitions for radial

radial
adjective
ra·di·al | \ ˈrād-ē-əl

\

Medical Definition of radial

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : arranged or having parts arranged like rays

2 : of, relating to, or situated near the radius or the thumb side of the hand or forearm the radial aspect of the hand

3 : developing uniformly around a central axis radial cleavage of an egg

Other Words from radial

radially \ -ē-ə-lē

\ adverb

radial
noun

Medical Definition of radial (Entry 2 of 2)

: a body part (as an artery) lying near or following the course of the radius

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes I have noticed this with their UHD titles. For Beverly Hills Cop, you have to hit chapter skip to fast forward through all those foreign language messages to get to where you want to be. 🙁

Just realized that the “scramble his molecules” line wasn’t in the original cut of the film.
My recollection is that it was in the theater (I believe it was a reference to a line McCoy had in the OG series) - but home video didn't have it --

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Center to edge, not radially, is the recommended method.
or Centre outwarde ;)!

1662834640320.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, The circle is now complete. Wrong franchise, but I was thinking this as I think back on my Star Trek theatrical film collection. Some of you have been showing your collection. So for fun, I pulled out some of the major stuff I have.

From the late 1980’s, Star Trek on VHS.
72645C4F-69EC-48D7-88DA-591FF011B06D.jpeg

I next moved to laser discs. In the image below, the blue box at the top was called the Space Dock. It housed Star Trek 1 to 6 and Generarions. Star Trek TMP is partially pulled out. I was a regular customer of a local mom and pop laserdisc shop and they were nice enough to get the empty box for me. Then I filled it with used copies of Star Trek 1 to 6. Obviously to the lower left is the Special Longer Version of Star Trek TMP I picked that up at Tower Records. And to the lower right is the 25th anniversary box set that includes Star Trek 1 to 5 from 1991:
839E396D-FE89-404B-8105-09E3DED421C3.jpeg

Next, I collected the films in the two major releases on DVD. Below is the second wave that included Star Trek The Motion Picture the Directors Edition signed by Robert Wise. Plus Star Trek 6 is signed by Nicolas Meyer. 67ED4CE3-370D-42C5-8FAE-FA850E67C76A.jpeg

Then of course is the 2009 blu ray box set and the 2021 four film 4K blu ray set.
CA1447AD-3B27-4209-8A6B-D7D5F7902E61.jpeg

Finally, the edition we’ve all long been waiting for, tthe new Star Trek The Motion Picture Directors Edition 4K and the other 5 Star Trek TOS films on 4K. I could not resist and also collected Star Trek 2 to 4 in the individual releases so it matches Star Trek 5 and 6. I know it’s nuts. I have not unsealed these sets yet. I think I’ll watch the DE tonight in 4K. Your comments on the 4K disc verses the Paramount+ stream is what I was expecting, that the streamed version is not as full and rich as the full uncompressed disc version.
E031E375-1BEF-4A17-B6F4-27682D6957E4.jpeg

A Star Trek fan and his money is soon parted. But for these titles, I needed to do this. This is just the films, not including the TOS series in all their formats.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, thanks a lot for all the likes. It’s really appreciated!! ( I still have not used that feature to express likes for others posts, I prefer to post my reaction)

Last night I watched the 4K blu ray of The Directors Edition. I also took a few minutes to sample the Special Longer Edition afterwards last night and this morning I sampled the sequence when Scotty takes Kirk on the tour of the Enterprise in the travel pod and the worm hole sequence in the Theatrical Cut.

I had not realized fully until I actually had the discs in the player that they used seamless branching to be able to have the theatrical and Special Longer Cut on the same disc.

My focus last night was the new Directors Edition on 4K. It was really does look and sound great! Our hopes and dreams fulfilled. This is my go to Edition for this film. The remastered sound track is quite engaging! And visually, the film does appear to have been gone over. I have to compare to the theatrical cut again in 4K, but it looks like the DE overall is different, is it the color grading or something else, I’m not sure yet. It just looks great. I was at first a little unsure what I was seeing as Kirk’s Admiral uniform didn’t seem as green as it was. But it could be i’m just too used to the older versions. It’s also likely I’m watching on a new 4K display and it’s a little larger then my old display. The extra size makes me aware of things I’ve not noticed before. Such as the Starfleet headquarters matte painting when Kirk’s shuttle comes in to land, in the background near the bay, there are people painted way back there and they aren’t moving! And I noticed when watching the stream on Paramount+, the initial shot of the orbital Space Office has a cargo container passing in front. The matted in cargo container in front of the office model looked really iffy there. On the 4K full resolution, it looks fully realized without all the jaggies.

Just focusing on the visual improvements and changes, there are just two things I wish Daren Dochterman did not do. The first is the dual screen shot where the staff at the Epsilon IX station are monitoring the attack on the Klingon cruiser Amar. The added digital distortion of the Klingon Captain just doesn’t look on par with the rest of the film. Maybe I’m just used to the theatrical version.

The second alteration I’m not as enamored by is the Officers Lounge sequence where Kirk asks Spock to join him and McCoy to discuss what Spock knows about the intruder calling to him. The original set has those smaller windows where the 2000 version added the warp nacelles out the windows. That was pretty cool. On the 2022 version, they changed out those windows to the larger windows that are in the miniature of the Enterprise. They are seen when Spock’s shuttle comes along and docks with the Enterprise. So I can see why they did that, but it doesn’t look good. You can see some rough edges around DeForest Kelley. And some around Shatner too. Just two small quibbles for an otherwise excellent remastered edition!

On the positive side, I was so disappointed by the Theatrical cut of the 4K release of the space dock sequence, so I was really blown away by the DE version. One shot I had wanted to see how they improved is the shot of the Enterprise as it pulls out of Space Dock and the camera is scraping the side of the secondary hull. That shot was out of focus on the 4K theatrical remaster. But the entire space dock sequence is so good now, I was so mesmerized by the imagery that I forgot to look for that out-of-focus shot. What I found so amazing is I know that Paul Olsen is the guy who painted the Aztec paneling on the hull. He used 4 translucent pearlescent colors of gold, red and blue and green painted over the white hull. You can really see it sparkle now as the ship leaves dock. This is just the technical gee-wiz stuff I love about the miniatures, it’s great to see it literally shine. The film overall has a slick appearance. It was made with a lot of love and care and its great to see it shine through the muck of the optical layers.

For the real meat of the film though, in terms of the narrative, I really like this Edition. Always have since the 2000 version. What is even more clear to me is what happens to the Illia probe. I finally had an epiphany about 12-15 years ago watching TMP late at night. I realized that the Illia probe is calling to Decker to join with V’Ger, it gave me goosebumps. It totally changed my perspective of this film. What I did not connect until last night’s viewing, and maybe it’s been obvious to others, is the short bits of times when Illia actually surfaces from the Probe as she interacts with Decker on the rec deck and with Dr. Chapel In her quarters when they put the head band on, plus the first time the Illia probe sees Decker in sick bay. Decker knows she’s in there and she’s calling to him.

Wise and his editor had always had those shots of Illia looking at Decker with longing eyes when they are at the Voyager 6 complex. Decker looks back at it/her. He knows what’s going on and what he has to do. It’s the Starchild sequence done Star Trek style. But it’s also very much inline what would have been done on Star Trek TOS. Illia and Decker are fused and out there now.

I’ve also liked the concept of a world of machines that considers themselves a form of life. This was pretty new stuff In the late 70’s. I suppose knowing what we know today that our computer ships are all made from silicon, silicon could be the basis of life. Just different from the type on Janus 6.

For the better part of this film, people say it’s cold and doesn’t have all the character bits we know from the series. Yes, it’s pretty much the journey of Kirk, Spock and V’ger and how they all tie together. Each character is at a dark point in their lives. And they all end up finding where they belong and grow.

Finally, I did just sample some of the Longer Edition, I looked at the sequences I remember the most that’s not in the Directors Edition. The scene where Sulu’s clumsy initial interaction with Illia is interesting to see. But he’s a pro and should not have been that uncomfortable. Similarly how Wise cut Kirk’s second order to shut off the viewer to Uhura. The alternative sequence when Dr. Chapel tells Illia about the headband is interesting, the performances are different, I guess Wise felt this one didn’t meet his criteria. And of course it was interesting to see the sequence when Kirk goes out the airlock with the completed effects shot. We know that shot was made for the sequence he goes after Spock in the memory wall.

I still have the extras disc to explore and listen to the commentaries. This will keep my occupied for sometime!

I really have to thank Mssrs Wise, Fein, Matessino and Dochterman and Botnick for the very fine efforts here on the Directors Edition! I’m really happy they finally were able to complete this effort they started so many years ago.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Guys, thanks a lot for all the likes. It’s really appreciated!! ( I still have not used that feature to express likes for others posts, I prefer to post my reaction)

Last night I watched the 4K blu ray of The Directors Edition. I also took a few minutes to sample the Special Longer Edition afterwards last night and this morning I sampled the sequence when Scotty takes Kirk on the tour of the Enterprise in the travel pod and the worm hole sequence in the Theatrical Cut.

I had not realized fully until I actually had the discs in the player that they used seamless branching to be able to have the theatrical and Special Longer Cut on the same disc.

My focus last night was the new Directors Edition on 4K. It was really does look and sound great! Our hopes and dreams fulfilled. This is my go to Edition for this film. The remastered sound track is quite engaging! And visually, the film does appear to have been gone over. I have to compare to the theatrical cut again in 4K, but it looks like the DE overall is different, is it the color grading or something else, I’m not sure yet. It just looks great. I was at first a little unsure what I was seeing as Kirk’s Admiral uniform didn’t seem as green as it was. But it could be i’m just too used to the older versions. It’s also likely I’m watching on a new 4K display and it’s a little larger then my old display. The extra size makes me aware of things I’ve not noticed before. Such as the Starfleet headquarters matte painting when Kirk’s shuttle comes in to land, in the background near the bay, there are people painted way back there and they aren’t moving! And I noticed when watching the stream on Paramount+, the initial shot of the orbital Space Office has a cargo container passing in front. The matted in cargo container in front of the office model looked really iffy there. On the 4K full resolution, it looks fully realized without all the jaggies.

Just focusing on the visual improvements and changes, there are just two things I wish Daren Dochterman did not do. The first is the dual screen shot where the staff at the Epsilon IX station are monitoring the attack on the Klingon cruiser Amar. The added digital distortion of the Klingon Captain just doesn’t look on par with the rest of the film. Maybe I’m just used to the theatrical version.

The second alteration I’m not as enamored by is the Officers Lounge sequence where Kirk asks Spock to join him and McCoy to discuss what Spock knows about the intruder calling to him. The original set has those smaller windows where the 2000 version added the warp nacelles out the windows. That was pretty cool. On the 2022 version, they changed out those windows to the larger windows that are in the miniature of the Enterprise. They are seen when Spock’s shuttle comes along and docks with the Enterprise. So I can see why they did that, but it doesn’t look good. You can see some rough edges around DeForest Kelley. And some around Shatner too. Just two small quibbles for an otherwise excellent remastered edition!

On the positive side, I was so disappointed by the Theatrical cut of the 4K release of the space dock sequence, so I was really blown away by the DE version. One shot I had wanted to see how they improved is the shot of the Enterprise as it pulls out of Space Dock and the camera is scraping the side of the secondary hull. That shot was out of focus on the 4K theatrical remaster. But the entire space dock sequence is so good now, I was so mesmerized by the imagery that I forgot to look for that out-of-focus shot. What I found so amazing is I know that Paul Olsen is the guy who painted the Aztec paneling on the hull. He used 4 translucent pearlescent colors of gold, red and blue and green painted over the white hull. You can really see it sparkle now as the ship leaves dock. This is just the technical gee-wiz stuff I love about the miniatures, it’s great to see it literally shine. The film overall has a slick appearance. It was made with a lot of love and care and its great to see it shine through the muck of the optical layers.

For the real meat of the film though, in terms of the narrative, I really like this Edition. Always have since the 2000 version. What is even more clear to me is what happens to the Illia probe. I finally had an epiphany about 12-15 years ago watching TMP late at night. I realized that the Illia probe is calling to Decker to join with V’Ger, it gave me goosebumps. It totally changed my perspective of this film. What I did not connect until last night’s viewing, and maybe it’s been obvious to others, is the short bits of times when Illia actually surfaces from the Probe as she interacts with Decker on the rec deck and with Dr. Chapel In her quarters when they put the head band on, plus the first time the Illia probe sees Decker in sick bay. Decker knows she’s in there and she’s calling to him.

Wise and his editor had always had those shots of Illia looking at Decker with longing eyes when they are at the Voyager 6 complex. Decker looks back at it/her. He knows what’s going on and what he has to do. It’s the Starchild sequence done Star Trek style. But it’s also very much inline what would have been done on Star Trek TOS. Illia and Decker are fused and out there now.

I’ve also liked the concept of a world of machines that considers themselves a form of life. This was pretty new stuff In the late 70’s. I suppose knowing what we know today that our computer ships are all made from silicon, silicon could be the basis of life. Just different from the type on Janus 6.

For the better part of this film, people say it’s cold and doesn’t have all the character bits we know from the series. Yes, it’s pretty much the journey of Kirk, Spock and V’ger and how they all tie together. Each character is at a dark point in their lives. And they all end up finding where they belong and grow.

Finally, I did just sample some of the Longer Edition, I looked at the sequences I remember the most that’s not in the Directors Edition. The scene where Sulu’s clumsy initial interaction with Illia is interesting to see. But he’s a pro and should not have been that uncomfortable. Similarly how Wise cut Kirk’s second order to shut off the viewer to Uhura. The alternative sequence when Dr. Chapel tells Illia about the headband is interesting, the performances are different, I guess Wise felt this one didn’t meet his criteria. And of course it was interesting to see the sequence when Kirk goes out the airlock with the completed effects shot. We know that shot was made for the sequence he goes after Spock in the memory wall.

I still have the extras disc to explore and listen to the commentaries. This will keep my occupied for sometime!

I really have to thank Mssrs Wise, Fein, Matessino and Dochterman and Botnick for the very fine efforts here on the Directors Edition! I’m really happy they finally were able to complete this effort they started so many years ago.
Great post! I finished the film and watched most of the new extras last night. Great stuff.

As you said it’s just wonderful to have the film!

I’m hopeful for more “secret” Star Trek projects with Daren too!

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Had a bit of a journey to get my copy of the "big box o' crap" edition of the TMP DE this week. I'd pre-ordered it the day it was announced from Amazon a few months ago, then I decided to get the UK version of the set as a backup, just in case. They both shipped this week, and that's when the weird shit started happening.

For whatever reason, Amazon UK is using Australia Post to get my copy to me in America, and the tracking number they gave me isn't showing up on their website, so... who knows where, when, or if that one will turn up. Then, while I was at the Herrick library looking through DeForest Kelley's collection of Star Trek script revisions oddly enough, I get a notification from Amazon that the shipment of the US version of the set was destroyed and they'd be refunding me. Okay, fine, it's only sold out domestically and maybe the UK version will show up, but at least I've got my money back. So, I reorder it from another seller on Amazon for a cheaper price and then that ships yesterday... 20 minutes before I get an update from Amazon saying the original copy I'd ordered will be delivered that day. So, it finally shows up with no damage to the package whatsoever.

And that's when I realize the only blu-ray disc in the set is just the bonus disc. I still haven't upgraded my home system to 4K yet, so I'm back to square one. At least the stuff on the bonus disc was good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And that's when I realize the only blu-ray disc in the set is just the bonus disc.

That’s correct - the US has the directors edition as a 4K only regular release, a BD only regular release, and a 4K only deluxe box set.

The UK deluxe box set does include both 4K and BD discs, which was a big factor in my choosing to purchase that specific edition.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If anyone‘s interested, youtube suggested a video for me, another UK unboxing of the Star Trek The Motion Picture Complete Adventure box set.

I watched it up to the point where the video completes the unboxing of the Complete Adventures box, he goes on with the single releases.

I found it interesting to see the slip cover is thicker then the US counterpart. There are 5 discs inside. And the included poster in my set is folded once. The UK poster is folded along the short end and long end, so it’s got two folds in it. Also interesting that the UK discs have no art, just the titles and specs printed in black. The US discs has the front face printed in black. And it does not include the separate card from Robert Wise talking about how it is not often one gets a chance to revisit their work. I suppose it’s redundant as it’s printed on the book too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cut_the_cord
Recent bookmarks