What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture Restored Director's Edition and Six-Movie Collection (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It‘s like everyone has chest resonance now, and it totally helps in bringing you into the story, along with the more immersive sound effects (the ‘79 theatrical version is just too quiet sometimes, hardly any ambient sound at some points).

The music mix is phenomenal! I’m hearing instrumentation that I never noticed before!

Wait. The sound mix is actually significantly different/better than the theatrical 4K version even for all the same scenes/footages, not just the different/visually-altered ones???

_Man_

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wait. The sound mix is actually significantly different/better than the theatrical 4K version even for all the same scenes/footages, not just the different/visually-altered ones???

_Man_
I would say all. The DC is a fully integrated film.

& Mr Nimoy
1662617716476.png

and Deforest Kelly
1662618174957.png

were both chain smokers. Kelly was at a convention I attended and (partially to piss of George Takei who was talking about clean air ordinances) lit a cigarette took a puff and a long exhale and kept smoking during the whole panel discussion.

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

_Man_
Yes! The sound mix/design of the Director’s Edition is completely new, including all the scenes from the original theatrical version. ( and since they had access this time to the ADR recordings, some of the performances and line readings are different from the ‘79 version.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar

_Man_
1979: The picture was locked with less than two weeks to go before the film was released. Goldsmith was still scoring the movie five days before it opened. There simply was no time to do a proper sound mix. The bridge sounds very quiet and very wooden, literally. I think the mix on the HD DE is fab. The more I see (and listen to) the HD DE, the more I like it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
1979: The picture was locked with less than two weeks to go before the film was released. Goldsmith was still scoring the movie five days before it opened. There simply was no time to do a proper sound mix. The bridge sounds very quiet and very wooden, literally. I think the mix on the HD DE is fab. The more I see (and listen to) the HD DE, the more I like it.
You forgot to mention the Isolated Score ;)!

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Hahah. I didn't get that. I just got the BD of the DE. I have bought all the other movies and TV series numerous times already.

For example:

TMP (VHS)
TMP (laser disc)
TMP (DVD)
TMP DE (2000) DVD
TMP BD
TMP BD from 4K
TMP DE BD (2020)

And that's just the first movie. Shall I list all my WOK discs? Hahaha.

I am happy with my ST TOS TV and movie collection and have no intention of buying one more single blessed disc.

I was looking at Voyage Home tonight and the remastered BD is much sharper than the BD from the 4K source due to all the HDR applied to the 4Q. It's nuts!

My point is, I have spent a small fortune on ST home entertainment and with this final DE BD purchase, them days is done. LLAP.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Hahah. I didn't get that. I just got the BD of the DE. I have bought all the other movies and TV series numerous times already.

For example:

TMP (VHS)
TMP (laser disc)
TMP (DVD)
TMP DE (2000) DVD
TMP BD
TMP BD from 4K
TMP DE BD (2020)

And that's just the first movie. Shall I list all my WOK discs? Hahaha.

I am happy with my ST TOS TV and movie collection and have no intention of buying one more single blessed disc.

I was looking at Voyage Home tonight and the remastered BD is much sharper than the BD from the 4K source due to all the HDR applied to the 4Q. It's nuts!

My point is, I have spent a small fortune on ST home entertainment and with this final DE BD purchase, them days is done. LLAP.
So you’re saying the BluRay for #4 looks sharper in comparison to the UHD? Wow.

Same here- when I buy the UHD DE, I’m done.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
In his opinion and on whatever equipment he's using.
I'm quite capable of answering my own questions. And since you butted in, how is what I say different from what anybody else says? Everything anyone says about such comparisons are their opinions. Some opinions carry more weight with some people. But to specifically call out what I say as an opinion when it's obvious it is....geeez....For the last time, I'm not here to pick a fight with you.

As Tino pointed out, that's not what I said. What I said was that the remastered BD looks better than the BD mastered from from the 4K source. I'd be surprised if anyone comparing the two BDs on any equipment would disagree with me. It's not even close.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
As Tino pointed out, that's not what I said. What I said was that the remastered BD looks better than the BD mastered from from the 4K source. I'd be surprised if anyone comparing the two BDs on any equipment would disagree with me. It's not even close.

Which Blu-ray are you calling "remastered" and which are you calling "mastered from the 4K source"? These are the same thing. The remastered Blu-ray is the one mastered from a 4K source.

The 2009 Blu-ray for Voyage Home was so soft it was barely distinguishable from a DVD, so I can't imagine that's the one you're impressed with.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm quite capable of answering my own questions. And since you butted in, how is what I say different from what anybody else says? Everything anyone says about such comparisons are their opinions. Some opinions carry more weight with some people. But to specifically call out what I say as an opinion when it's obvious it is....geeez....For the last time, I'm not here to pick a fight with you.

Ah- I just misinterpreted your original post.
Sorry if I created a shit storm.

You guys know more about this than me- are you saying excessive use of HDR softens a picture- decreases sharpness and contrasts?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nice Robert! Great to see so many copies being bought up.
Yeah, I was worried about my Amazon order since Tino's was damaged and my local BB had one copy left and I grabbed it last night online and used curb side pickup this morning.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Which Blu-ray are you calling "remastered" and which are you calling "mastered from the 4K source"? These are the same thing. The remastered Blu-ray is the one mastered from a 4K source.

The 2009 Blu-ray for Voyage Home was so soft it was barely distinguishable from a DVD, so I can't imagine that's the one you're impressed with.
There was another BD release after the 2009 one. I am staring at both releases. I was so mad, because I had recently bought the 2009 release, and the new one was touted as "remastered," so I bought it at Sam's Club, and when I got home and put it on, it was the finest looking BD I had ever seen, clarity and dynamic range out the wazoo. That is the disc I am referring to. And to this day, it is one of the best-looking BDs I have. It's magnificent.

Below: Remastered BD
remastered BD.JPG

Below: BD from 4K source
BD from 4K source.jpg

I realize screen grabs are virtually useless but maybe you can see the difference. I certainly can when I throw it up on my 60 inch.

Ah- I just misinterpreted your original post.
Sorry if I created a shit storm.

You guys know more about this than me- are you saying excessive use of HDR softens a picture- decreases sharpness and contrasts?
It's not so bad on the outside San Fransisco sequences, but when you're in the Klingon ship, with the smoke, and it's dark, especially early in the movie, the BD made from the 4K source looks pretty bad in comparison to the remastered BD. It's not like someone with no eye couldn't see the difference. It's less clarity as opposed to less dynamic range because IMO the HDR was cranked up too much.

Which is why I have never taken the leap to 4K. I go to my friends and we watched TLOTR in 4K and to me it just looked weird. The color palette was all different. I saw Glory in 4K and IMO there was way to much HDR. Too many of the movies I see in 4K may look great to some, but they don't look the way the movies looked to me in terms of the color palette when I saw them in the theater, and too many times the HDR is cranked up way too much.

One reason I like to watch my favorite movies is to remember my life when they came out, and when they change the color for 4K, well, no thankee.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
There was another BD release after the 2009 one. I am staring at both releases. I was so mad, because I had recently bought the 2009 release, and the new one was touted as "remastered," so I bought it at Sam's Club, and when I got home and put it on, it was the finest looking BD I had ever seen, clarity and dynamic range out the wazoo. That is the disc I am referring to. And to this day, it is one of the best-looking BDs I have. It's magnificent.

You're still confusing me with your terminology. There have only been two Blu-ray editions of Star Trek IV - one released in 2009 and another released in 2021. Which one are you calling "remastered" and which are you calling "mastered from a 4K source"? Which one do you like and which one do you not like?

the BD made from the 4K source looks pretty bad in comparison to the remastered BD. It's not like someone with no eye couldn't see the difference. It's less clarity as opposed to less dynamic range because IMO the HDR was cranked up too much.

The 2009 disc was not remastered and did not have HDR, which didn't even exist at the time. I don't believe it was mastered from a 4K source either.

The 2021 disc was remastered, from a 4K source in fact. It is a downconversion from the 4K UHD master.

If what you're trying to say is that the 2021 disc looks much better than the 2009 disc, I will agree with you. As I said, the 2009 disc is so soft it could easily be mistaken for a DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks