What's new

PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Fully Restored Director's Edition (4k UHD) (Paramount+ Streaming) (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think it could be argued that The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) is another classic SF film that does not feature a villain. By some interpretations, we - the human race, are the villain of the feature (in a somewhat abstract sense) due to our warlike nature. Klaatu does not exhibit any villainous characteristics and exhibits a high degree of civilized nature in light of humanity's response to his visit to Earth.

- Walter.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Also, remember that the abductees had barely aged if at all, and we got the dialog from one of the scientists, "Einstein was right!", followed by the retort, "Einstein was probably one of THEM." So for the people who'd been kidnapped, a very short amount of relative time had passed, while here on Earth decades had gone by in some cases.

The question becomes whether the aliens made it clear to the "abductees" that they'd be gone a looong time, even if they wouldn't age.

Did they tell the humans "it won't seem long to you but by the time you return, all yours friends/family will be old or dead"?

I never really understood why the aliens suddenly dumped all these people back on earth at the same time. A goodwill exercise - "hey, here are all the people we've kidnapped over the years!" :laugh:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Inglorious Treksperts did an April podcast on tmp 4k directors cut. I just started it this morning but I’m looking forward to hearing some behind the scenes info on making this version.

Also. I believe there is at least one more Star Trek project that Darren D is involved in. There’s been subtle statements made but no specifics on the podcast series…..

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up on that Inglorius Treksperts episode on the Motion Picture. I listened to it yesterday. I had not been listening to them lately. I can only take so much of Mark Altman. ;)

There was a couple of big take aways from that conversation from Daren. The biggest one for me was that this is the version that Robert Wise wants you to see. No Kirk saying a second “Viewer Off!” Or Chekov saying, “we’re out of it” Or Sulu saying, “The new screens held!” They discussed the Blade Runner box set where you can watch which ever version you wanted, but for Star Trek The Motion Picture, there is no ABC broadcast version included as it’s got too much material in there that’s not needed. Of course we know the fans love that stuff and want to have a version of the ABC cut in a box set. But we have the version that’s the version Robert Wise wanted us to see. And we have the Theatrical Cut in 4K now too.

Regarding all the long shots of the characters staring in awe at the view screen, those were done so they had the shots to edit with, and in place of missing effects. If Wise could have had the extra 7 weeks before the film premiered In December 1979, I’m sure he would have cut all those shots. But Paramount paid for the long FX shots, so by golly, they stay!

This new release of Star Trek The Motion Picture may not be perfect for everyone, but I‘m really happy it’s fixed right now. I know not everyone likes it. I do not find it boring in the second half. The new edit makes it go by faster.

It was great to hear Daren say that after the screening at Paramount, the responses were all positive. Even the kids liked it. And I liked the anecdote that Leonard Nimoy was pleased with the new edit restoring Spock’s weeping scene back when the edit was first done for the DC.

It was also cool to hear about all the people who were invited to see the new 4K TMP at Paramount, even Mr. Bulk got a mention. :)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
But given the film was already 20 years old at the time, there were so edits he couldn’t do as the fans love some scenes as they are.
Do we have any insights about these scenes? I'm curious what scenes he felt fans were so attached too that he couldn't alter. As a Trek fan myself, I wouldn't care because I could just throw in the theatrical version if I wanted to see those scenes.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Do we have any insights about these scenes? I'm curious what scenes he felt fans were so attached too that he couldn't alter. As a Trek fan myself, I wouldn't care because I could just throw in the theatrical version if I wanted to see those scenes.

They mentioned a lot of the redundancy with dialogue. Some of it was only there in the event that the visuals weren’t completed. Some scenes should our characters out of character as well.

“Viewer off” being repeated.
Kirk in the transporter room “omg”
The thruster suit instructions
Ilia having to be shown how to use the helm. (Longer edition?)
“We’re out of it.” Chekov

I’m sure there are more but those are the ones I could recall from the podcast.

I hope a blade runner type set with all cuts included is out in September.

Personally the directors cut is my preferred version.

I know some prefer the theatrical still as that’s what they saw in 1979.

My introduction was on vhs with the longer version.

I can’t wait for the fathom event in a few weeks. I haven’t seen the 4k version yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Chris, the podcast did not discuss specific scenes retained because they are so loved. This statement from Wise was from interviews he gave when the DE first came out. The specific scene is the Enterprise fly over that Scotty does for Kirk. I think some people feel that goes on too long. It does serve a purpose, to re-introduce the audience to the Enterprise and to show how big is really it is.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
It would have been better if they just made Planet of the Titans instead. At least that had a villain in it.
Have you read the Kaufman treatment? It's a fascinating mess. For decades I thought it and/or the story by the two screenwriters preceeding it was a big missed op relative to what we got, but after finally reading it (or all but one page that was missing), it just seemed way off the mark for the characters and for the most part, made for depressing reading. I mean, I've read other unmade scripts multiple times, even WARHEAD/JAMES BOND OF THE SECRET SERVICE, which was my old standard for 'steaming pile' (meaning worse than JAWS III, PEOPLE 0), but I only made it through this thing twice, and the second time was mainly just for notetaking.

I've read one unmade trek script (or half of it) that is my fave by far. It's the original version of THE MENAGERIE, before GR rewrote it. Many of the beats are the same as in the aired two-parter, but most of the last act is about Kirk having to make an enormously important decision -- maybe the biggest decision he will ever make, and that's not an exaggeration, I've seen CITY ON THE EDGE -- changing the focus of the story in an immense way. I only got to read part 2, but man, I dug it. John D.F. Black quit the series right after that, but I'm thinking he could have done great things with TREK if GR hadn't alienated him. I do have to say that my view on this script is a minority view going by the few others who shared it with me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, when I first watched this new Directors Edition via a Paramount+, I was doing it via an AppleTV4K which is connected to my pre-amp which is not 4K capable. So the ATV to pre-amp was not passing a 4K signal to my display.

Tonight I tried an experiment, my Sony TV has the ability to install the Paramount+ app. So I was able to use it to connect to my account. I just watched a good chunk of the film in 4K. It looks great! I just used the TV’s speakers for sound, so I didn’t have surround sound since the TV’s audio is not connected to the pre-amp, yet.

There was a close-up of Chekov and I could see the fabric texture of his tunic. I’ve actually seen a tunic from this film in a private collection. It surprised me to see the fabric in person. It wasn’t what I expected. When I saw the close-up of Chekov, I could see the exact thing I saw in person. Pretty cool.

I’m really looking forward to the 4K blu ray. Hope it comes out soon. ( and hopefully I’ll upgrade the pre-amp by then)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Guys, when I first watched this new Directors Edition via a Paramount+, I was doing it via an AppleTV4K which is connected to my pre-amp which is not 4K capable. So the ATV to pre-amp was not passing a 4K signal to my display.

Tonight I tried an experiment, my Sony TV has the ability to install the Paramount+ app. So I was able to use it to connect to my account. I just watched a good chunk of the film in 4K. It looks great! I just used the TV’s speakers for sound, so I didn’t have surround sound since the TV’s audio is not connected to the pre-amp, yet.

There was a close-up of Chekov and I could see the fabric texture of his tunic. I’ve actually seen a tunic from this film in a private collection. It surprised me to see the fabric in person. It wasn’t what I expected. When I saw the close-up of Chekov, I could see the exact thing I saw in person. Pretty cool.

I’m really looking forward to the 4K blu ray. Hope it comes out soon. ( and hopefully I’ll upgrade the pre-amp by then)

Can’t wait to see it with 2 of my sons on the big screen this Sunday!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biplasmedical
Recent bookmarks