What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! Vanilla Sky (2001) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Newly Remastered Version of Cameron Crowe’s Mind-Bending Dramatic Thriller Arrives in a Limited-Edition Blu-ray™ for Its 20th Anniversary

82151C05-1BE8-4A55-A8F8-64341B5D6124.jpeg

Latest Addition to the Paramount Presents Line Debuts November 16, 2021with New Bonus Content

Tom Cruise, Penélope Cruz, and Cameron Diaz star in Cameron Crowe’s VANILLA SKY, arriving on Blu-ray as part of the Paramount Presents line on November 16, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Written for the screen and directed by Crowe and newly remastered from a new 4K film transfer under his supervision, VANILLA SKY is presented in a limited-edition Blu-ray Disc™ with collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments. The Blu-ray includes a new Filmmaker Focus with Crowe, access to a Digital copy of the film, and the extensive legacy bonus content detailed below:

• · Filmmaker Focus: Cameron Crowe on Vanilla Sky (HD)—NEW!
  • · Commentary by Cameron Crowe & Nancy Wilson
  • · Alternate Ending with Optional Commentary by Cameron Crowe (HD)
  • · Prelude to a Dream (SD)
  • · Hitting It Hard (SD)
  • · An Interview with Paul McCartney (SD)
  • · Gag Reel (SD)
  • · Music Video “Afrika Shox” by leftfield/afrika bambaataa (SD)
  • · Photo Gallery with Audio Introduction by photographer Neal Preston (HD)
  • · Mask Test with Optional Commentary by Cameron Crowe (HD)
  • · Kurt Russell single take with Optional Commentary by Cameron Crowe (HD)
  • · Trailers (SD)
  • · Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Cameron Crowe (HD)
  • · Credits (HD)

A mind-bending roller coaster ride of romance, suspicion, sex and dreams, VANILLA SKY was produced by Crowe, Cruise and Paula Wagner and features visually stunning cinematography by Academy Award® winner* John Toll (Braveheart, Legends of the Fall), including an unforgettable sequence in New York City’s Times Square. The film was originally released on December 14, 2001 and follows a self-indulgent and vain publishing magnate (Cruise) who finds his privileged life upended after a vehicular accident.

Paramount Presents: VANILLA SKY

Street Date: November 16, 2021

U.S. Rating: R for sexuality and strong language

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another Paramount title that has an iTunes 4K/Dolby Vision digital, but is only getting a Blu-ray release.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I've been waiting for the price of the Paramount Presents Vanilla Sky Blu-ray to drop for a year now with no luck. Yesterday I noticed a 4K HDR stream is available to rent, so I took a chance on it. The picture quality is unwhelming, it has low contrast and consistent softness all the way thru the movie, almost like watching the DVD. Does the new Blu-ray look like this? Is this how it looked at the cinema?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I've been waiting for the price of the Paramount Presents Vanilla Sky Blu-ray to drop for a year now with no luck. Yesterday I noticed a 4K HDR stream is available to rent, so I took a chance on it. The picture quality is unwhelming, it has low contrast and consistent softness all the way thru the movie, almost like watching the DVD. Does the new Blu-ray look like this? Is this how it looked at the cinema?

I can't answer your question directly, but I have noticed that some Paramount 4k stream upgrades that are not yet available on Blu-ray are not very good. They seem to be old masters upscaled to 4k. I noticed this with Saturday Night Fever which looked so subpar that I turned off my 4k digital copy after five minutes.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I can't answer your question directly, but I have noticed that some Paramount 4k stream upgrades that are not yet available on Blu-ray are not very good. They seem to be old masters upscaled to 4k. I noticed this with Saturday Night Fever which looked so subpar that I turned off my 4k digital copy after five minutes.
Thanks, I saw some comparison shots of the new 48 Hrs. in a review and the Paramount Presents improvement was minor. Hopefully someone that has seen the new Vanilla Sky Blu-ray and/or saw it in the cinema will comment on picture quality.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Thanks, I saw some comparison shots of the new 48 Hrs. in a review and the Paramount Presents improvement was minor. Hopefully someone that has seen the new Vanilla Sky Blu-ray and/or saw it in the cinema will comment on picture quality.

I have the Paramount Presents BD for Vanilla Sky. I was planning on watching it this week (Thursday, likely). I did watch it in the theatre way back when, but I won't pretend to be able to recall much about the experience.

Nonetheless, I'll post my quick review once I watch the movie.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is a very unusual film for me. I saw this in the cinema and really liked it. Later I purchased the first blu release of the film, watched it again and wondered what the hell I liked about it. This basically does not happen with me. If I like a picture the first time I see it, I tend to like it when I see it again.

Now, sometimes I will watch a picture, not like it when I see it and when I come back to it I end up liking it. It really never goes the other way...except with this film for some reason.

I will watch it again to see if my opinion changes.

I also think the look of this film is intentionally soft and this may not be a film that looks better in 4K. It is supposed to have the feeling of a memory or dream so I think this was made to look the way it does.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The Spanish original, Open Your Eyes, is a much better film. Directed by Alejandro Amenabar, who also contributed to the English version's screenplay, the film stars a young Penelope Cruz.
I like both movies. I've been researching upgrades from DVD to Blu-ray. Open Your Eyes is a BDR with burnt in subtitles and, if the 4K UHD stream is a guide, the new Vanilla Sky may be problematic or I'm expecting too much, I never saw it in the cinema!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm beginning to think I'll have to watch DRAGONSLAYER from my crypt.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have the Paramount Presents BD for Vanilla Sky. I was planning on watching it this week (Thursday, likely). I did watch it in the theatre way back when, but I won't pretend to be able to recall much about the experience.

Nonetheless, I'll post my quick review once I watch the movie.
Hi Josh, did you watch Vanilla Sky yet? If so, we'd like to know your thoughts.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Hi Josh, did you watch Vanilla Sky yet? If so, we'd like to know your thoughts.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch it yet. I forgot that I had a formal dinner on Thursday night for my profession. Last night and tonight my spouse and I are binge watching through the final episodes of Ozark. I'm hoping for Sunday or Monday now!

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Both this and the Spanish original are spectacularly intelligent films. I've rewatched both half a dozen times. It's a pity the American version got bashed upon release. Americans are made uncomfortable by films that make them think and don't spoon feed plot points and meanings.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch it yet. I forgot that I had a formal dinner on Thursday night for my profession. Last night and tonight my spouse and I are binge watching through the final episodes of Ozark. I'm hoping for Sunday or Monday now!
Josh, what are your thoughts on the Paramount Presents Blu-ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks