What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! Ragtime (1981) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have spent the past few years feeding all of my VHS and LDs into my Mac. I have thousands of files and all of my LDs and VHS are on an external. That way I can store all of the hard media in the closet. Very tidy way to enjoy the collection.
There are many LD titles I would love to do that also. I’m just not that proficient in the technology. I guess I have something new to explore. Thanks for the giving me a new project. :)

Real Name
James
The tragedy of "Ragtime" was that while Milos Forman did an OK job with it, the movie was meant to be directed by Robert Altman. Producer Dino De Laurenttis, however, was so angry with Altman after "Buffalo Bill and the Indians" (which featured "Ragtime" author E. L. Doctorow in a supporting part) he refused to let Altman do the picture. A couple of songs Randy Newman apparently had written for the film, turned up in altered form on some of his albums. But damn, what a movie Altman would have made with Newman's songs as a sort of Greek chorus commenting on the action.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
“Ragtime” as Spielberg’s first musical…??? I remember his first comedy “1941”…and no one’s smiling???

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
“Ragtime” as Spielberg’s first musical…??? I remember his first comedy “1941”…and no one’s smiling???
My thoughts exactly. Let's see how his version of WEST SIDE STORY turns out.

...and given the opening to INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM, I'm not holding out much hope for that.

Bad Raptor

Agent
Real Name
Brian Watt
I'm not sure I quite understand all the negative comments about Ragtime. The late Howard Rollins' powerful and moving performance is one for the ages. The rest of the cast is also amazing - Brad Dourif, Elizabeth McGovern, James Olson, Mandy Patinkin, Kenneth McMillan, Robert Joy, Mary Steenburgen. The script is crisp, fresh and authentic. Newman's score is magnificent. The street scenes in New York are amazingly detailed and also authentic to the period. There isn't one scene in the film that's uninteresting or boring. The film moves at a brisk pace. Since some of the story is seen through the eyes of immigrants, Milos Forman also brings a perspective that perhaps more American-born directors could not. I look forward to this Blu-ray release.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I remember it being extremely long and not having a very satisfactory conclusion and with an additional 20 mins I can see why it would be cut. However as I recall it’s a beautiful film with some fantastic performances.
I will definitely get for the James Cagney and Howard E. Rollins performances.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I got this during the recent Paramount Presents sale. FYI the digital code gets you a 4K Dolby Vision version of the film from iTunes.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I love the second half of the film when it becomes a stand-off between Rollins and Cagney. It’s the first half that I’m not particularly crazy about.

I love the second half of the film when it becomes a stand-off between Rollins and Cagney. It’s the first half that I’m not particularly crazy about.

Like Glenn, I have exactly the opposite view.

I much prefer the way that the first half of the film was presenting exactly the kind of pastiche and continuous interweaving of sub-plots, the way the Doctorow novel was written cover to cover. I love the period atmosphere and all that contributed to it: the costumes, the marvelous sets, the cinematography, the performances and, of course, that wonderful underscore.

When the movie decides to narrow its focus to the story of one man's crusade against the racism he encounters, the flavor largely goes out of it for me. But I love the film, warts and all...wish it had been four hours long.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I got this during the recent Paramount Presents sale. FYI the digital code gets you a 4K Dolby Vision version of the film from iTunes.
I had to import this, as it's not available through conventional channels in Canada. Worth it. Altman's take would have been interesting, but we'll never know, will we?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks