What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! Ragtime (1981) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DA7F1D5C-82F9-45C9-B0B4-52129F0ADAA7.jpeg

image002.jpg

Debuting November 16, 2021, Limited-Edition Two-Disc Blu-ray™ Includes Newly Discovered Director’s Cut Workprint, Deleted & Extended Scenes, and a New Look Back at the Film

Oscar®-winning* director Milos Forman’s cinematic epic RAGTIME arrives for its 40thanniversary in a Limited-Edition two-disc Blu-ray as part of the Paramount Presents line on November 16, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment. The film was originally released on November 20, 1981.

Based on E.L. Doctorow’s best-selling novel, RAGTIME tells an unforgettable story of disparate characters in New York City in the early 1900s. From the emerging New York suburb of New Rochelle to the flashy spectacle of Atlantic City, a family faces racial tensions, scandals, and violence that will test everything they believe in. With music by Randy Newman, the film features a spectacular cast including James Cagney, Brad Dourif, Moses Gunn, Elizabeth McGovern, Kenneth McMillan, Pat O’Brien, Donald O’Connor, James Olson, Mandy Patinkin, Howard E. Rollins, Jr., Mary Steenburgen, Debbie Allen, Jeff Daniels, Fran Drescher, Samuel L. Jackson, Norman Mailer, John Ratzenberger.

RAGTIME has been remastered from a 4K film transfer and is presented in collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments. The two-disc Blu-ray includes a newly discovered director’s cut workprint version of the film (along with the theatrical version), deleted and extended scenes, a look back at RAGTIME with Larry Karaszewski and screenwriter Michael Weller, access to a Digital copy of the theatrical version, and the additional legacy bonus content detailed below:

• · Newly remastered theatrical version
  • · Deleted and Extended Scenes—NEW!
  • · Ragtime Revisited: A Conversation with Larry Karaszewski and screenwriter Michael Weller on RagtimeNEW!
  • · Commentary by director Milos Forman and executive producer Michael Hausman
  • · Deleted Scene
  • · Remembering Ragtime
Disc 2

· Director’s Cut Workprint—NEW!

Paramount Presents: RAGTIME

Street Date: November 16, 2021

U.S. Rating: PG (Theatrical Version), Unrated (Director’s Cut Workprint)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This has been on a several of those "wish lists" that pop up every so often on this forum. I almost purchased the 2019 French release, after Mike Frezon gave it the thumbs up, but lack of English subtitles is a deal-breaker for me. It's commendable that Paramount, after so many years, is releasing a diverse selection of their catalogue. Fingers crossed that they keep coming! It's been about as long ago since I saw Ragtime as I'd seen Nashville, before I enjoyed the Paramount Presents version of Nashville last week. I recall that Ragtime also was a sprawling, detailed epic, so it'll be an enjoyable revisit.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A long wait for many people. I always liked the movie, but never loved it.

I feel the same way as I watched it for the first time a few months ago when I purchased it on iTunes.

My main draw to this film is James Cagney. I believe it’s his final film performance.

I love the second half of the film when it becomes a stand-off between Rollins and Cagney. It’s the first half that I’m not particularly crazy about.

The film’s theme by Randy Newman will live in your head forever. It’s a great tune.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I got the French set this year but I will also buy this set. I have the book and read it in recent years.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I feel the same way as I watched it for the first time a few months ago when I purchased it on iTunes.

My main draw to this film is James Cagney. I believe it’s his final film performance.

I love the second half of the film when it becomes a stand-off between Rollins and Cagney. It’s the first half that I’m not particularly crazy about.

The film’s theme by Randy Newman will live in your head forever. It’s a great tune.
Funny, Ronald. I prefer the first half with the many diverse plots happening and for me the movie becomes less interesting when it focuses on the Cagney/Rollins plot. For me, it is the same thing with the musical show.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
It's a great musical. I can't remember the original film. Will have to take another look.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A very interesting press release has been added to the original post

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I wonder what shape the director’s work print is in and also what the length is?

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
“Well, I don't miss it.” I wish I could have been there to see the look on everybody's faces.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My LD player is still a working component in my setup. Really. They're fun to collect.
I still have mine hooked up also, however I’m starting to get rid of many LD’s and only going to keep special ones. Like Raintree County and Oscars Greatest Moments. I guess I can soon get rid of WWOBG.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I still have mine hooked up also, however I’m starting to get rid of many LD’s and only going to keep special ones. Like Raintree County and Oscars Greatest Moments. I guess I can soon get rid of WWOBG.
I have spent the past few years feeding all of my VHS and LDs into my Mac. I have thousands of files and all of my LDs and VHS are on an external. That way I can store all of the hard media in the closet. Very tidy way to enjoy the collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks