What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: My Fair Lady (1964) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I watched the rest of “My Fair Lady” when I got home from graveyard shift yesterday morning. Then I started watching it again from the beginning. This could go on for a while.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I watched the rest of “My Fair Lady” when I got home from graveyard shift yesterday morning. Then I started watching it again from the beginning. This could go on for a while.
Have you not screened a large format film on 4k disc before?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Have you not screened a large format film on 4k disc before?
Yes, several since getting the projector in February, but it's still a thrill. The first and the best until now was "Lawrence Of Arabia". "Vertigo" was a knockout too, I mean hypnotic at that size and with that quality. But I'm really enjoying everything about having a big screen and 4K projector. Blu-Rays, by and large, look terrific, and now I'm very glad that I've been collecting 3D Blu-Rays since they've been available. By the way, my projector only does HDR, so somebody else will have to chime in on Dolby Vision for "My Fair Lady".

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, several since getting the projector in February, but it's still a thrill. The first and the best until now was "Lawrence Of Arabia". "Vertigo" was a knockout too, I mean hypnotic at that size and with that quality. But I'm really enjoying everything about having a big screen and 4K projector. Blu-Rays, by and large, look terrific, and now I'm very glad that I've been collecting 3D Blu-Rays since they've been available. By the way, my projector only does HDR, so somebody else will have to chime in on Dolby Vision for "My Fair Lady".
home theater projectors do not do DV.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This I did not know. I kind of assumed the high end ones did.

Dolby Vision requires the display to know exactly how bright the screen is in order to calculate the tone-mapping correctly. That's easy enough with a flat panel with fixed manufacturer specs. But projectors have too many variables that effect image brightness: lamp age, screen gain, color of the room walls, ambient light, etc. The projector has no way of knowing most of those things, except lamp age.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Do people buy screens for their projectors or if it's especially large(120") can you project it on a white wall?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, the screen is an integral part of a projection setup and manufactured ones range from the low $100's into the mega-thousands. That said, a well-painted white wall, especially if one of the many specific screen paint formulas are used, can be very effective.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Do people buy screens for their projectors or if it's especially large(120") can you project it on a white wall?
I've always used a screen but many people do project onto a wall. I've heard that off-white is better than normal white. I imagine you'd have to make sure the wall is completely flat and smooth.

If I moved to a house which had a very wide plain wall, I'd try projecting onto that to see just how big an image I could get!

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Will the projector's instructions tell you how large an image you can get before deterioration of image quality sets in?
Like say if it throws a 120" image beyond that you will get a poor image?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Will the projector's instructions tell you how large an image you can get before deterioration of image quality sets in?
Your best bet is to (budget permitting) bring in a professional calibrator to guide you.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Most projector manufacturers provide throw ratio calculators that will let you determine how large an image you can project from a distance you specify. The web site projectorcentral.com has tools that help with that. Look up the given projector model there to figure out what's possible.

As far as screen size goes, the biggest obstacle to a large projected image is brightness. If the projector lamp isn't bright enough, you'll get a dim and unpleasant image. The larger the screen, the more brightness you need. This is especially a challenge with HDR. A good screen with a little bit of gain will help with that by reflecting more light directly back to your seat rather than scattering it all around the room. But you have to be judicious with that, because too much gain will cause hot-spotting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mr Harris, can you expound on this? I recently bought this on iTunes for $4.99 because, well, I'm downsizing, and slowly moving as much media as possible to all cloud-based digital.
Since you already bought it, why don't you simply watch that iTunes stream to see if it meets your approval.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Since you already bought it, why don't you simply watch that iTunes stream to see if it meets your approval.
I'm pretty sure it will meet my approval since I don't have the most critical eye and my monitor is not professionally calibrated. However, since Mr. Harris is probably the most knowledge person around who would know how this movie should look, I'm interested in hearing if there are any deficiencies in the streaming version. I might make the decision to purchase the disc down the line

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks