What's new

PHE Press Release: Mario Puzo’s THE GODFATHER, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Winning" one of those is no indicator of talent ...

Among the lowlights ...
GLENN CLOSE !!!
Judy Garland
Angela Lansbury
Lauren Bacall
Angela Bassett
Naomi Watts
Jamie Lee Curtis
Scarlet Johansson
Maureen O'Hara
Barbara Stanwyck
:angry:

Agree that Oscar has missed some great actors - Sigourney Weaver should be on that list - but anyway you slice it, Sofia's "G3" performance was awful.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Agree that Oscar has missed some great actors - Sigourney Weaver should be on that list - but anyway you slice it, Sofia's "G3" performance was awful.
Pat Weaver's daughter is on the list at the site referenced, but there are 100 actrii listed there I just cherry picked a few surprising ones.

IMHO Ms. Coppola the younger was perfectly "in character" when delivering her lines but not when she didn't have any lines.

Britton

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits posted this about the Trilogy hitting 4K in 2022. A bit nervous about the prospect of HDR being applied especially since Gordon Willis has passed since the excellent restoration work done in the 00s.

Paramount is quoted as saying they will be doing a restoration but I thought the restoration RAH worked on was already in 4K.

I’m going to have to sit back and the let authorities weigh in before I purchase.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I suspect I will be fine with my Blu-ray based on what RAH has said on the matter in regards to these films.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I seem to recall that this was shot in Super 35 but with an 1.85 AR.
Should look excellent on BD as well of course on UHD.
Was in Palermo 's Opera House a view years ago where the opera performance was filmed.
They were quite proud of that.

Britton

Screenwriter
I suspect I will be fine with my Blu-ray based on what RAH has said on the matter in regards to these films.

I still remember how blown away I was by the Blu-ray, so yes, I will be waiting for that ”A few words about...” post. And if there are more than a few words, well, even better!

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I'm thinking this title is too short and doesn't have enough punctuation. It ought to be called:

Mario Puzo's The Godfather, Part III: Coda - The Death of Michael Corleone; Final Director's Cut Redux: Ultimate Encore Edition

Nah, they should have taken a cue from The Simpsons and just call it The Godfather III: Good Version.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Got a shipping notice today for delivery next week. I’m actually looking forward to seeing this.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Eagerly awaited with the greatest of interests.

Grateful that the BD has been made available only four days apart from the theatrical opening; as I am still among those who have been absent from the stadiums, since late last March.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who expects a revelatory experience from "Coda" will likely find disappointment.

Most of the changes stem from small trims. The biggest omission
comes from the deletion of the "Part III" opening in which Michael gets the honor from the Catholic Church.

The press release promises a "new beginning", but that's only half true. Instead,
it takes the scene between Michael and Archbishop Gilday that sat at about 39 minutes on the "Part III" BD and moves it to the start.

That's a "new beginning" in that it's not the original film's opening, but it's not new footage.

And then there's the "new ending", which is
even more underwhelming.

Originally we go from Mary's death to a flashback montage of Michael with Mary, then Apollonia, then Kay before we see elderly Michael alone in a courtyard.

Now we just see a flashback to Mary before we visit Michael in the courtyard. Rather than keel over, Michael puts on his sunglasses and the movie ends. We see a text that tells us Sicilians never forget and go to the end credits.

So in a movie called "The Death of Michael Corleone",
Michael Corleone doesn't die.

Anyway, it's still essentially the same movie. Nibbling around the edges makes it no better or worse, and Sofia's acting isn't magically improved...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just spent the last 2 hours 35 minutes watching this film.

Haven't watched the original cut since it first appeared on video nearly 20 years ago. So, I don't remember the original cut at all. In fact, the only thing I have retained in my memory for all this time is the ending scene at the opera.

Sadly, I can't say this cut made me appreciate the film any better. It still seems like the "odd duck" in The Godfather series. Despite Coppola tightening up the editing it still seems much too lengthy. And, as has been continually stated for all these years, Sophia's acting has much to be desired. Had no idea Winona Ryder was originally up for the part before she got ill.

The transfer looks exceptional. No complaints there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just spent the last 2 hours 35 minutes watching this film.

Haven't watched the original cut since it first appeared on video nearly 20 years ago. So, I don't remember the original cut at all. In fact, the only thing I have retained in my memory for all this time is the ending scene at the opera.

30 years, not 20 years. You're old! :D

And AFAIK, the theatrical cut didn't come out on video - FFC already changed it between theatrical and video...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received mine on Saturday and all I can say is I haven't seen the movie but the disc is too teal -

1609357400717.png
;)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks