What's new

PHE Press Release: Lady Sings The Blues (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ACADEMY AWARD®-NOMINATED* BIOPIC OF THE LEGENDARY
BILLIE HOLIDAY ARRIVES ON BLU-RAY™ FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

LadySingsTheBlues_BRD_Front_wCase.jpg

Diana Ross Stars in the Original Drama, Arriving February 23, 2021

See It on Blu-ray Before the Debut of the Highly Anticipated New Film
The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Diana Ross gives a tour-de-force debut performance as legendary singer Billie Holiday in the classic drama LADY SINGS THE BLUES, arriving on Blu-ray for the first time ever February 23, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Nominated for five* Academy Awards®, including Best Actress in a Leading Role for Ross, LADY SINGS THE BLUES brilliantly captures the essence of Billie Holiday, one of America’s most loved and memorable blues singers. Filled with the greatest songs of the incomparable "Lady Day," the film won Image Awards for Best Motion Picture, Best Actress (Ross) and Best Actor (Billy Dee Williams), as well as a Golden Globe® for Ross as the year’s Most Promising Newcomer – Female. Richard Pryor also stars as the unforgettable “Piano Man.”

The LADY SINGS THE BLUES Blu-ray includes the following previously released bonus content in standard definition: commentary by executive producer and Motown founder Berry Gordy, director Sidney Furie and artist manager Shelly Berger, a making-of featurette entitled “Behind the Blues: Lady Sings the Blues,” and seven deleted scenes.

# # #

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

LADY SINGS THE BLUES

Street Date: February 23, 2021
U.S. Rating: R

*1973, Best Actress in a Leading Role, Best Writing, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Music
“ACADEMY AWARD” and “OSCAR” are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Endorsement Guidelines: Paramount Pictures Corporation and Paramount Home Entertainment (collectively “Paramount”) are not requesting or requiring any online or social media coverage, publication, or posting (i) in connection with this press release or (ii) in exchange for any products, materials, services, or any other benefit provided to recipient (“Recipient”) by Paramount in connection herewith. Recipient agrees that any social media posts or public statements made by Recipient in connection with this press release, any products, materials, services, or benefit provided to Recipient by Paramount will comply with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines, and/or policies (collectively, the “Laws”), including, without limitation, those concerning endorsements and testimonials in advertising in the territory(ies) in which Recipient resides and/or in which Recipient’s posts will be featured (for example, in the United States: Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) endorsement disclosure guidelines, FTC FAQs,
and “Disclosures 101 for Social Media Influencers,” all available at https://www.ftc.gov/influencers)). To the extent required by any Laws, Recipient shall include an accurate, clear, and conspicuous disclosure of any relationship between Recipient and Paramount in language that is easy to understand and in a noticeable manner.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I never saw this film. Will buy it blindly.

Have to say, Paramount is really pumping these titles out at a rapid pace. Very happy!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
And a pressed disk. Has little or nothing to do with the real Billie Holiday as "Funny Girl" had little to do with the real Fanny Brice, but I enjoy the film. I am more familiar with Billie Holiday's music now than I was when this film was released.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's a somewhat sentimentalized and sanitized view of Billy Holiday, but Diana Ross was in fine voice, and beautifully photographed. The film was a pleasure to look at, as well as listen to. Richard Pryor, I thought, gave an amazing performance. All the emotion and political awareness and anger that was part and parcel of Billy Holiday's life and was excised from the film was expressed, subtly and beautifully, by him. The original dye-transfer prints were stunning, and if this disc comes anywhere close, I'm in.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Probably a more accurate portrayal of Billie Holiday is the play, "Lady Day at The Emerson Bar and Grille" which recently was on HBOMAX.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’ll settle for the Blu-ray if that’s all they’re going to offer, but I’d prefer a digital purchase which could be future-proofed for a 4K remaster.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
While the press release is long about the merits of the film and Paramount there is no mention about the elements used to produce this upcoming blu ray. This is a red flag to me that Paramount will release what ever elements they have with minimum work . This is an almost 50 year old film . I would think it would need some refresh. It was popular, so presumably many prints were made. I don't know if they still made prints from the original negative in the early 70's. For comparison "Cabaret", released in the same year, was promoted as restored/new restoration when WB released it on blu ray. Hopefully this won't be another "Ordinary People" a later 70's film from Paramount that has looked terrible on the Australia blu ray release and on HD digital per commenters on this forum.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It will be what it will be. It's not a movie I need to own, but if it looks good, I''ll probably get it for the phorography, score and Richard Pyror's performance.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It will be what it will be. It's not a movie I need to own, but if it looks good, I''ll probably get it for the phorography, score and Richard Pyror's performance.
Don't forget Lando Calrissian is in it also ... ;)!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
While the press release is long about the merits of the film and Paramount there is no mention about the elements used to produce this upcoming blu ray. This is a red flag to me that Paramount will release what ever elements they have with minimum work . This is an almost 50 year old film . I would think it would need some refresh. It was popular, so presumably many prints were made. I don't know if they still made prints from the original negative in the early 70's. For comparison "Cabaret", released in the same year, was promoted as restored/new restoration when WB released it on blu ray. Hopefully this won't be another "Ordinary People" a later 70's film from Paramount that has looked terrible on the Australia blu ray release and on HD digital per commenters on this forum.

I sense this will be a very old transfer, a la Day of the Locust and Ordinary People. I hope to be proven wrong.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On one hand it's not a part of it's Paramount Presents line which might be a negative. Most of the Paramount Presents line have gotten positive comments on this forum but "To Catch A Thief" caused fans to seek out the older version of the blu ray. I thought "Barefoot In The Park" looked good on blu ray. It was not part of Paramount Presents and had a cheap price on release day. I am guessing "Barefoot" was an older transfer that managed to look good. "On A Clear Day..." looked terrible on blu ray per comments on this forum. All of which is to say Paramount's track record on older films is spotty and we won't know what we will get for "Lady Sings The Blues" until it is released. So this one is not going to be preordered by me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks