What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Indiana Jones 4-Movie Movie Collection (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Fair enough, but it is clear enough to see it is not the original color timing. My guess is it is a slightly tweaked version of the 2012 4K master to add an HDR pass.
Which if course is entirely possible. However, I'll wait until we start seeing some reviews of the actual discs before I begin drinking myself into depression. :)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It wasn’t until the internet came along that I realised how unpopular Temple of Doom is. I saw it as a kid at the cinema and adored it; so did every boy in my class. It’s still my favourite of the four.

I saw it for the first time on its initial release and Did. Not. Like. It.

I saw it for the second time when I got the widescreen laserdisc (as a collector, I needed to have all three). I didn't mind it nearly as much. I think it was mostly because watching it on the big screen, it seemed like a non-stop visual-and-aural assault, and seeing it on a 27" TV screen blunted that feeling.

I still don't like it all that much, but I don't dislike it as much as I originally did.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'll admit, the bug eating scene grosses me out. I always look away!

Some forgotten number of years ago, I was out in Minneapolis for an SF convention, and as was custom, the day after the con ended, a large group of us went out for sushi (a.k.a. "fish bliss"). A friend sitting next to me got his first plate, which was shrimp, with all of the feelers and such still attached. He offered one to me while I was waiting for my first plate. I said, "No thanks, I had bugs for lunch," and he almost fell out of his chair.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'll give you that it doesn't really track between the two pictures but the cut from Indy confidently talking about Brody's connections and abilities ("...with any luck, he's got the Grail already.") to Marcus wandering around asking if anyone speaks English is very funny to me.

I often find it enjoyable when characters are, ah, out of character. Precisely because they are out of character.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like Temple of Doom just fine, but it's ultimately still a disappointment compared to the first and third films. It feels very claustrophobic and lacks the globe-trotting of the other films (and the James Bond films they are emulating). It's both too gross and too silly. I like Crystal Skull just fine too, for what it is: A sequel that came too late.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Raiders is probably my #1 fave movie of all time. I liked Temple of Doom, but I only found The Last Crusade "fair" and it was just too light-hearted from my taste for an Indy movie. And I won't even say anything about the last movie.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I still like the series in descending order of original release date. ROTLA is as near to perfect cinema as I have witnessed. TOD originally didn't sit well with me either but I've grown to appreciate the performances. TLC at times feels almost as if straying into parody territory. No comment on KOTCS.
I think the "juvenile" lead in CS was ill-chosen for various reasons - not related to his acting ability. Also perhaps a well-written script ...
1621019028733.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For me, it’s probably Raiders, Crystal Skull, Last Crusade and then Temple of Doom.

I have spent over 30 years hoping to like Temple of Doom more than I do and it just never happens. It’s far from the worst movie I’ve ever seen but it just doesn’t hold my interest in the way the other three do.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Which if course is entirely possible. However, I'll wait until we start seeing some reviews of the actual discs before I begin drinking myself into depression. :)
Ok, I'm going to revise my initial appraisal. After some careful comparison with the 4K series trailer, there is some improvement in the accuracy and clarity of outdoor blue skies and greens, and a slightly less overall orange look. Some of the haziness in brighter areas is reduced and less blown out. There aren't enough shots to tell if the teal effect is minimized. Flesh tones are still a bit orange IMO but I do see improvement, which is great. Some of the more bothersome aspects seem to have been toned down a bit.

Here's a quick and dirty comparison to illustrate my points. Blu-ray is on top, 4K trailer on bottom. Note the improvements in the haziness and color of the sky, details on the building and dome, costumes, etc. The sky isn't as blue as it should be, but it's better and I'm curious to see how it looks in HDR with expanded color space. I'm moving into cautiously optimistic territory ;)

Raiders 4K Compare.JPG

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I like them in order of release. For many years, maybe I still do, I considered Raiders my favorite movie. In 2006 I saw the trilogy on 35mm film at the Ziegfeld (RIP) and while Raiders played well, as it always does, my friends and I were amazed at how great Temple of Doom was. It really clicked with all of us that day, and I've always enjoyed it. The two-hour running time flew by. Last Crusade is a film that I have problems with when I stop and think about it, but while watching it, I love it. And as much as I love Bond, TLC is the movie I watched when I learned Sean Connery had died.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I like them in order of release. For many years, maybe I still do, I considered Raiders my favorite movie. In 2006 I saw the trilogy on 35mm film at the Ziegfeld (RIP) and while Raiders played well, as it always does, my friends and I were amazed at how great Temple of Doom was. It really clicked with all of us that day, and I've always enjoyed it. The two-hour running time flew by. Last Crusade is a film that I have problems with when I stop and think about it, but while watching it, I love it. And as much as I love Bond, TLC is the movie I watched when I learned Sean Connery had died.

To your recollection, did the 35mm Raiders colors timing appear less golden than we saw on Blu-ray?

Mark VH

Second Unit
The film's biggest weakness IMO. I don't like it, but can overlook it for the most part.
This this this. In Raiders Sallah had moments of comic relief but was also kind of a badass. Marcus wasn’t in it much but they did him dirty when they got him out of the university.

I like Last Crusade fine and Connery was a true stroke of casting genius, but it’s really just a retread of Raiders with more jokes. For me Temple’s better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks