What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Escape From L.A. (1996) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DIRECTED BY JOHN CARPENTER, THE EXPLOSIVE CULT-CLASSIC ARRIVES ON
4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME

image002.jpg

Kurt Russell Stars in the Action-Packed Sequel, Debuting on 4K Ultra HD February 22, 2022

Snake Plissken is back in the high-octane thrill-ride JOHN CARPENTER’S ESCAPE FROM L.A., arriving on 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever February 22, 2022 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Released in 1996, JOHN CARPENTER’S ESCAPE FROM L.A. was the highly anticipated follow up to the fan-favorite hit Escape from New York. Kurt Russell returns as anti-hero Snake Plissken, who is called upon to save the world from a doomsday device after a 9.6 quake levels most of Los Angeles.

Experience every outrageous and eye-popping moment of the post-apocalyptic classic in stunning 4K Ultra HD, including Snake surfing Wilshire Blvd., shooting hoops at the Coliseum, and dive bombing the Happy Kingdom theme park. The film also features a wild assortment of friends, fiends and foes from a supporting cast that includes Steve Buscemi, Peter Fonda, Pam Grier, Stacy Keach, Cliff Robertson and Bruce Campbell.

The 4K Ultra HD release features exceptional picture quality with Dolby Vision and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. The disc also includes access to a Digital copy of the film and the original theatrical trailer.

# # #

About Paramount Home Entertainment

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

JOHN CARPENTER’S ESCAPE FROM L.A.

Street Date: February 22, 2022

U.S. Rating: R for violence and some language

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie (no, I don't care that it's basically a remake of the original) and I look forward to buying this disc but I have to admit that I'm surprised that Paramount is releasing this and not starting on their Friday The 13th movies. If they're putting out some of their B-movies, I'd think Friday would sell better. Maybe they've licensed them to Shout for a release next Halloween?

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I actually like this better than the first film. So much more fun, and still badass.

Oddly enough I've never owned this, so that is going to change.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I love this movie (no, I don't care that it's basically a remake of the original) and I look forward to buying this disc but I have to admit that I'm surprised that Paramount is releasing this and not starting on their Friday The 13th movies. If they're putting out some of their B-movies, I'd think Friday would sell better. Maybe they've licensed them to Shout for a release next Halloween?
Is there really anything to be gained though from Friday the 13th in 4K? They were all shot on crappy stock and Part III's main gimmick won't be available for use either.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Is there really anything to be gained though from Friday the 13th in 4K? They were all shot on crappy stock and Part III's main gimmick won't be available for use either.
Last year's Shout set used 4K transfers for the first four movies so 4K transfers exist for half of the Paramount movies. By no means should anyone take an AV review from me but I did think those transfers looked better than the previous Blu-rays. I can't imagine Friday The 13th would be the centerpiece of anyone's UHD collection but if the independent Halloweens 4 and 5 have been released and were generally praised, I can't imagine that the F13s wouldn't benefit similarly.

Also, it's worth noting that horror fans are easy marks who buy the same movies over and over again. I know because I'm one of them. :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Escape from LA has some of the worse looking early CGI out there especially in the underwater scenes. It looked horrible and embarrassing on Blu Ray I can't imagine how much worse it will look in 4K. That said I do like this movie and I am glad to have the blu ray but would never upgrade it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Started to watch this 4K today and quickly realized...

...the English DTS-HD MA 5.1 track has the channels reversed.

The front material is in the surrounds and vice versa.

The non-English tracks are correct.

What a mess!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
GREAT! *Another* disc replacement program? This crap is really getting ridiculous.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
GREAT! *Another* disc replacement program? This crap is really getting ridiculous.

It's vaguely possible I just got a bad copy - that seems unlikely, but I guess it could happen.

I asked Matt Brighton at BluRayAuthority to check out his copy and he said he'd do so and get back to me.

Assuming this IS an issue with all copies, I assume Paramount will simply delay release date until they can put out a correct disc.

Shouldn't need replacement since the 4K doesn't hit the streets until February 22, so it should just not go to market at all, unlike stuff like "Vampire Lovers" that made it to fans in incorrect form...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I figured that with the release date only a bit over a week away, these discs are already pressed, packaged, and in the distribution pipeline to retailers.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I figured that with the release date only a bit over a week away, these discs are already pressed, packaged, and in the distribution pipeline to retailers.

And I'm sure you're right. But unlike "Vampire Lovers" or "A Hard Day's Night", it shouldn't need to be "replaced" for people who bought the bad copy.

Assuming this is a case of a botched job and not just a weird instance where I got a bad copy, this would be more like "Get Back": the problem found before street date and never put on the shelves.

It wouldn't make sense for Paramount to let these get to stores and then have to deal with replacement copies. Easier to just keep them from consumers until they're fixed.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
It's vaguely possible I just got a bad copy - that seems unlikely, but I guess it could happen.

I asked Matt Brighton at BluRayAuthority to check out his copy and he said he'd do so and get back to me.

Assuming this IS an issue with all copies, I assume Paramount will simply delay release date until they can put out a correct disc.

Shouldn't need replacement since the 4K doesn't hit the streets until February 22, so it should just not go to market at all, unlike stuff like "Vampire Lovers" that made it to fans in incorrect form...
I checked my copy and there’s definitely something going on. I’m holding my review until we hear from Paramount.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Exactly - seemed to be center channel bleed in the right surround when I watched it yesterday. Made it all super loud and ‘off’.

Good to hear I'm not alone!

I assumed I wasn't, but I guess it was possible some quirk with my system caused the issue. A "bad disc" didn't really make sense to me, though I guess that could've happened in some weird way, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks