What's new

PHE Announcement: Escape From L.A. (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
On May 4th, Paramount Home Entertainment will release Escape From L.A. on Blu-ray!

DVD- Director John Carpenter’s exciting follow up to the darkly futuristic Escape From New York once again stars
Kurt Russell as mercenary Snake Plissken on a mission to wade through L.A.'s ruined landmarks to retrieve a doomsday device. In the year 2013, L.A. has become an island prison populated by law-breakers and non-conformists, thanks to a series of earthquakes that separated the city from the mainland. This “go-for-broke extravaganza” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times) is filled with jaw-dropping action as Snake surfs Wilshire Blvd., shoots hoops at the Coliseum, dive bombs the Happy Kingdom theme park, and mixes it up with a wild assortment of friends, fiends and foes played by Stacy Keach, Steve Buscemi, Peter Fonda, George Corraface, Cliff Robertson, Pam Grier and more. The disc includes the theatrical trailer.

Specifications- 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles

Escape From L.A. Blu-ray
Street date: May 4, 2010
Pricing: $29.99 U.S.
Runtime: 100 minutes
U.S. Rating: R for violence and some language
[FONT= 'Century Gothic']Canadian Rating: 14A[/FONT]

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Great! Keep those Blu-ray reissues of old letterboxed transfers coming, Paramount! Make Jonathan Mostow's Breakdown one of the next batch, please.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
My girlfriend will be very happy that LA will receive the blu-ray treatment before NY. We've had many playful disagreements over Escape from NY/LA, but I can't convince her that NY is the better film. Oh well. I will grudgingly admit that LA is one of Carpenter's better post-80s films, despite the horrible CGI, distracting, pointless cameos and forgettable villain.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I would stay away from any Escape From New York BD until MGM sorts out their financial issues and we can get a true high-quality release - a good number of Fox/MGM discs look awfully flat and soft, particularly the 80's catalog. Maybe Fox shouldn't handle MGM titles anymore...what incentive does a third party have to focus on quality when handling somebody else's stuff?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I would stay away from any Escape From New York BD until MGM sorts out their financial issues and we can get a true high-quality release - a good number of Fox/MGM discs look awfully flat and soft, particularly the 80's catalog. Maybe Fox shouldn't handle MGM titles anymore...what incentive does a third party have to focus on quality when handling somebody else's stuff?
I don't agree about the MGM/Fox catalog titles. They've put out some clunkers, but they've also released some very good looking discs - To Live and Die in LA, Manhunter, The Princess Bride, The Pink Panther, Misery, Child's Play, This is Spinal Tap. All of which look very much as they did when they were originally released.

Films from the 70s and 80s in particular tend to have softer, grainier, less saturated photography - a look that too often gets labeled "bad" when it's properly transferred to high-def video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks