What's new

International Phase IV - 101 Films (1 Viewer)

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I preordered the "Phase IV" set from the UK 101 Films a while ago. I've received a shipping notice -- wonder how long it will take given the current circumstances? Can't wait to get this!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I preordered the "Phase IV" set from the UK 101 Films a while ago. I've received a shipping notice -- wonder how long it will take given the current circumstances? Can't wait to get this!

I think it will come in a timely fashion— I got a notice from 88 Films that anything not shipped before this Wednesday (March 25) will be delayed for some time because it's coming by sea instead of plane. So the FROZEN 2 3D and RISE OF SKYWALKER 3D will come much later than expected.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Just an update: I received PHASE IV today -- it had been shipped via Royal Mail on March 25th -- but it did arrive. Very very excited to watch it and the Bass films included as extras.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Hope you’ll be able to compare it to the DVD, if you have a copy. I do, and if it’s a good upgrade, I might double dip.

Just noticed there was a US BD version at a lower price.

Last edited:

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I don't own the DVD -- the 101 looks generally great on my OLED with the caveat that I have burn in issues so I tend now not to give conclusive opinions on image quality for any release -- chunks of the screen are off-color depending on the hues being created due to the burn-in. Counting the days until I can afford to replace my OLED lemon. I haven't had a chance yet to watch the Bass short films -- they were also a major reason I bought this 101 release. It was fascinating to compare the release version with the original Bass ending. What a trippy conclusion he came up with indeed!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't own the DVD -- the 101 looks generally great on my OLED with the caveat that I have burn in issues so I tend now not to give conclusive opinions on image quality for any release -- chunks of the screen are off-color depending on the hues being created due to the burn-in.

I am surprised to hear this. I did the usual anti-burn-in stuff during my first month of operation, and I've had it now for 2 1/2 years. I have accidentally put an image (a bright one at that) on "pause" and not found this out for an hour. Not a trace of burn-in. I did used to have that problem with my Panny plasma some years ago, but not with OLED. How long have you owned it? Maybe it has to do with the manufacturer? (Mine is an LG with 4K and 3D capabilities).

Back on topic -- I have the Olive Blu-ray of PHASE IV and it is decent, but I may pick this one up for the extras, including a commentary.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I see that I didn't respond re the burn-in issues. I have an LG55C6P so it is one of the older 4K Dolby Vision OLED units with a curved screen and 3D. I did follow all of the protocols -- set the image shift etc. I am not a gamer nor do I have cable tv (no sports with score menus or network shows with logos displayed so those were not the issue). Unfortunately, I watched a lot of Youtube on the TV using the built-in app. So what is now burned permanently into my TV are the frames generated by the YouTube app. It isn't that I spent hours at a time watching YouTube, but it appears that just going to the same app's frame format over and over again over a period of time generated the burn-in. LG was sympathetic but said it was my fault as the consumer and my use of the TV. Also there are permanent squares in the lower right hand corner of the screen where the "search" etc boxes appear that coincide with the red yellow green boxes on your remote when searching or using the Amazon Prime app. Also my screen appears to be failing overall and has much less dynamic contrast now vs when it was new which LG also told me is expected. Their customer service department, as of last year at least, was available but unsympathetic and unhelpful. I am planning on replacing the TV hopefully this year and will never go with another OLED. The picture on the TV when new was simply breathtaking -- utterly entrancing and amazing. I have a feeling that if I'd used the TV strictly as a movie viewing platform, going immediately to a given film either streaming or on my OPPO, bypassing any apps and search functions, the burn-in would not have happened so quickly, But I am convinced it would have happened sooner or later with some of the Netflix frames or OPPO menus, etc. Maybe I got a bad unit. Who knows?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Reviving this thread.

I have just today received a used copy of the 101 release, expecting it to be the Limited Edition set with special packaging and a booklet included. That is what was advertised on the seller's listing and ion the photo. Instead, I received the 2-disc general release edition that had different cover art, and included no booklet.

I did watch it, as it was an open, used copy, before requesting a refund. It did include a lot of cool special features, but the movie footage, both in the feature proper and in the extras (such as the alternate ending), was very washed-out looking. Color was disappointingly weak, and even adding more using my display did not produce what I would call acceptable. I did see the film theatrically, but only at a drive-in, so I cannot say how the color was then. Perhaps the film simply looks that way (any information?). The short Saul Bass films on disc two are fascinating, nearly worth the price by themselves.

Probably if I saw another copy that I could verify in advance was the Limited Edition, I would buy it again, if the price isn't insane. I paid fifty bucks for the one I received. The U.K. Blu-ray is out of print, as is the Olive dometic release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks