Phase & Crossover?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CHRIS DIBB-FULLER, Aug 7, 2001.

1. CHRIS DIBB-FULLER

CHRIS DIBB-FULLER Auditioning

Hello guys,
    I have just purchased a second subwoofer. This one has a phase switch which is either set to 0 or 180.
    Also has a crossover range from 40-160.
    Can someone explain to me what these do and also what settings are likely to sound best??
    Thanks
    Chris

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The phase switch setting is trial and error- it depends on how the sub interacts with your room and in your case, the other sub. Pick the setting that gives you the most output. You may not notice much of a difference. As for the crossover, if your feeding your sub from the sub out of a HT receiver, then it should be defeated and not set to anything. The sub may have a crossover defeat switch or an alternative input. If it can't be defeated, keep it at the max settting. If you are not using the sub out of a HT receiver, then the best setting depends on the nature (bass capability) of your mains.

3. CHRIS DIBB-FULLER

Hi
    I have a Sony 930 amp and oth subs come from the 2 sub connections on the back, the reciever is set to crossover to the sub at about 80hz, the fronts are set to small. does this then mean that the crossover should be set to max on the sub??
    And the phase should be set to whichever of the 2 settings sounds meatier?
    Thanks
    Chris

4. CHRIS DIBB-FULLER

..both subs are passive.

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Yes and yes. In crossovers, more is not better. Your reciever has one, so the sub one is superfluous. If it can't be defeated entirely, set to the max is the next best thing.

6. CHRIS DIBB-FULLER

Thanks Brian.

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Chris: I agree with Brian completely. You want to try to avoid having more than one crossover in series if possible.
    However, in my case I couldn't avoid it. I run a Velodyne CT-100 with my Sony DB830 receiver. And even with my front main speakers set to "small", I still had to use the crossover on the CT-100 and filter out some of it's upper bass output. It was just too boomy if I didn't.
    So all I'm saying is that if you seem to have too much bass from around 80 to 100 Hz, you may need to do the same as I did.
    Not a perfect solution but it works...
    ------------------

8. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

9. CHRIS DIBB-FULLER

....I meant active (well spotted).