What's new

Phase control on subwoofers... (1 Viewer)

cabreau

Second Unit
Can someone explain to me exactly how and why to set the phase control on a subwoofer? Right now I turned my sub facing the same way as my fronts and set it up against the wall. I left it on 0 degrees and it seems to sound ok...but I want to make sure that it how it is supposed to be setup...plus I just want to know what the hell it does!!! LOL. There was no explanation of it in the manual and I can't find anything online. Helpful links or posts would be greatly appreciated. I have a Paradigm PW-2200, if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The more casual way to figure it out, is set it the way it sounds best. If it makes no difference, choose normal phase.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add to the original question with one of my own... If you have your other speakers set to "Small", does the subwoofer phase function even come into play?

cabreau

Second Unit
I can answer that one...YES. All of my speakers are set to small...when I alter the phase setting the bass changes, almost as if it waits 50 milliseconds or so to do anything...almost as if it's trailing behind the rest of the sound.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I ask is when I received my SVS PB1-ISD the other day, during calibration using the Avia disc (all other speakers set to small) when running the phase tests and adjustng the phase knob on the SVS, the SPL meter reading did not change whether the phase was at 0 degrees, or 180 degrees. I, nor the meter heard any difference. Interesting...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The quote of Wayne's posts sums it up well.Also as a "rule of thumb" if the sub is along the wall of the mains,and relativelly close the pahase should be the same as the mains[0].Driver orientation has no bearing on this,only the placement of the enclosure.If a sub has variable controll for the phase,then yes you need the testones,and experiment to fine tune it.
You can download testones from this site here:

http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html

Keith M.

Second Unit
another method which I find easier is to reverse the polarity of the two main speakers, run a test tone at or near the lfe crossover setting of your receiver and slowly adjust the the subs phase dial until the LEAST amount of bass is heard from the listening postion.

After this test, remember to put the mains polarity back to normal.

I find it easier to detect a loss in lfe than a gain...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks