What's new

Pre-Order Phantom Thread (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71FB+kpsrDL._SY679_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Okay...it's an old situation common to every new format, but I just have to say it. Why the hell isn't there a 4K edition coming out day and date with this one? There's no more natural material for 4K. It's large format, with a spanking new print to work from, and it's an Oscar nominee. But if it's some junk title from 15 years ago, where even a fresh DVD or Blu-ray is unlikely to fly off the shelf, they've got your 4K needs covered. Okay, I'm finished.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ordered.

This is my favorite film of 2017, so of course I have to have it day on.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Yes this was 3 perf 35mm blown up to 70mm (1.85) and boy could you see that lovely grain.:)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Okay...it's an old situation common to every new format, but I just have to say it. Why the hell isn't there a 4K edition coming out day and date with this one? There's no more natural material for 4K. It's large format, with a spanking new print to work from, and it's an Oscar nominee. But if it's some junk title from 15 years ago, where even a fresh DVD or Blu-ray is unlikely to fly off the shelf, they've got your 4K needs covered. Okay, I'm finished.
There is a placeholder for a 4K edition on Amazon.co.uk - whether it will actually be released, or not, is open to speculation at this stage. That said, at the moment there are several 4K titles announced in Europe, that haven't yet got an American release date.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phantom-Th...=1518719062&sr=1-1&keywords=phantom+thread+4k

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why the hell isn't there a 4K edition coming out day and date with this one? There's no more natural material for 4K.

Probably because the domestic box office for this title is currently at a paltry $16.8 million. I suspect that Universal does not think that this will be a very big seller, and assume that most people who do want it will accept a standard Blu-ray. So, they have likely concluded that the 4K just wouldn't sell enough to justify releasing it.

I agree with your point that it would be a natural fit to release in 4k, but I'm not surprised to see them pass on doing it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Brilliant film, probably the best one I've seen this decade.

The lack of a UHD release is disappointing, but it was grainy when I saw it (4K DCP) and that might put off people. The Blu-ray should look incredible, though.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This film has been growing in my estimation as time goes by. I must admit, though, that it is almost a sly drawing room comedy. The acting of all 3 principals is flawless. Day-Lewis is superior to Oldman, and omitting Krieps in favor of Streep is mind boggling.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Day-Lewis is superior to Oldman, and omitting Krieps in favor of Streep is mind boggling.

I agree. Given how much the Academy clearly liked and responded to the movie, it surprised me that they didn't include Krieps, who is really the point of entry for the audience into the movie and owns it almost more than DDL does. But the Actress field was really crowded anyway; Jessica Chastain in Molly's Game gave the best performance of her career to date, and they couldn't find room for her either. Strep is the only nominee that I would willingly leave out, which means either Krieps or Chastain would have still been left out if you kept everyone else who got in.

Also, no disrespect to Meryl here either, who is always great, but especially since she won't win it, did she really need to add another nomination to her record? She's very good, but goodness is relative for her, and in the annals of great Meryl Streep performances, no one is going to remember The Post as one of her crowning achievements.

The sad thing is that the nominations Phantom Thread did receive aren't really causing audiences to find it in great numbers. Its $19 million gross to date is just a shade under the final gross for Nine, Daniel Day-Lewis' musical for Rob Marshall, which was a notorious flop, and that doesn't even take into consideration ticket price inflation since 2009.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I agree. Given how much the Academy clearly liked and responded to the movie, it surprised me that they didn't include Krieps, who is really the point of entry for the audience into the movie and owns it almost more than DDL does. But the Actress field was really crowded anyway; Jessica Chastain in Molly's Game gave the best performance of her career to date, and they couldn't find room for her either. Strep is the only nominee that I would willingly leave out, which means either Krieps or Chastain would have still been left out if you kept everyone else who got in.

Also, no disrespect to Meryl here either, who is always great, but especially since she won't win it, did she really need to add another nomination to her record? She's very good, but goodness is relative for her, and in the annals of great Meryl Streep performances, no one is going to remember The Post as one of her crowning achievements.

The sad thing is that the nominations Phantom Thread did receive aren't really causing audiences to find it in great numbers. Its $19 million gross to date is just a shade under the final gross for Nine, Daniel Day-Lewis' musical for Rob Marshall, which was a notorious flop, and that doesn't even take into consideration ticket price inflation since 2009.
I think word of mouth has helped to kill it. A lot of people here in Dallas walk out actually hating it because they just don't get it. Did they expect an old-fashioned romantic, fashion show movie?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good. Odd that it's not coming until May 8 considering the Blu-ray and DVD are April 10. But at least it's coming.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Can you believe I am only just now getting around to this Oscar winning movie? Three of the quirkiest and most unique characters in cinema history together in a story that had me hooked from the beginning and ranks among the most unconventional romances in movie history. There will be lots to be gleaned from repeated visits to this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks