Phantom, real & free

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dean Martin, May 11, 2004.

1. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

$720 ain't exactly free for a library of "basic games." ($29.95/month for 2 years)

The article mentions that new "Triple-A games" (I guess that means popular games that people actually want) will be available for a $5-10 discount--or about what the real-world price would be. Renting PC games for $5 for 3 days may be interesting, but I can't envision plopping down $720 bucks for the privelege though.

I am eager to see what hands-on testing reveals through the summer.

3. Dean Martin

Free, is a matter of symantics here because the monthly fee WILL get you some games but you have to agree to a two year subscription so it depends on how you look at it.

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston

uh-huh. I look at it that I have to plunk down 720 bucks.

To Phantom, I say GFL... good luck.

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Not free, but rather no up front cost. Similar to Columbia House. This system has been out of the spotlight for a little while. Interesting to see them come out swinging again.

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I did see that there is also an option to buy it for ~$199. I don't know if you have to pay the $30/month to use it or if there is any option to pay for downloading games without a monthly fee. It will be interesting to see the final business model.

7. Dean Martin

That's probably a better way to put it, Jay.
    I mean technically it is free. It's like a cell phone. The phone is free when you agree to 2 years of service.
    If you buy a Phantom outright for $199 I'm guessing it's still the same monthly fee cost so technically it is free, you are just agreeing you will keep it a certain length of time. This insures they will profit back and make up the difference.
    I have had Xbox live for 2 billing cycles now, granted it isn't a monthly charge and not as high but it goes to show you that time flies.
    If the $199 buyers get service for a cheaper rate, that would be like paying for a system with interest. In that case I would rather pay the up front fee.
    Personally I think they need to lure as many subscribers as possible, for as long as possible to insure the longterm viability of the system.
    If people get nervous that not enough systems/subscriptions are selling they will not buy, just like Dreamcast.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

9. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

That BSOD of death is hilarious. Did they actually have anything playable on it?