Phantom of the Paradise, Special Edition in France

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jerome, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

Like Anchor Bay in the united States which obtained some 20th Century Fox Films for DVD, here in France, Opening Edition has obtained the rights to Phantom of the Paradise and will release a Special Edition DVD on february the 28th.

The movie will have a new 16X9 transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks and Stereo, in english and French.

Special features:
    • "Paradis Regain", documentary about the Making of Phantom (45 minutes)with interviews of Brian de Palma, Bill Finley (Winslow Leach/ The Phantom), Paul Williams (Swan), Gerrit Graham (Beef), Jessica Harper (Phoenix), Ed Pressman (Producer), Larry Pizer (DP), Paul Hirsch (Editor), The Juicy Fruits, + Peter Elbling and Archie Hahn.
    • Interview of Rosanna Norton (costum designer) (9 minutes)
    • Fake commercial done by Bill Finley (Winslow Leach/ The Phantom) (45sec)
    • Video intro by Gerrit Graham (Beef) (50 sec)
    • 2 trailers (one including rare gore shots not in the movie)(1mn et 2mn08)
    • Clip of Bob Sinclar : I Feel For You

source : http://www.ecranlarge.com/news-dvd-653.php

This is the second time that France has an exclusive Special Edition for one of the De Palma Movies, after the DVD release of Sisters.

review (in French): http://www.devildead.com/indexfilm.p...n=1&FilmID=938

2. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit

Update: the Artcover which mentions that it will be a 2 discs Edition.

[​IMG]

3. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Not fair! This is one of my very favorite wacky pleasures and the barebones disc we've got in the States is only a notch above atrocity. Remastered video and 5.1 audio?!?!?!?!

Unless this is getting released in the U.S. sharpish, I'm ording this bad boy tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well, at least those extras exist. I'd get this too if my Malata wasn't dead. Still wish they would use the soundtrack cover for the artwork.

Beef!

5. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Please tell me this is coming to region 1. Please, please, pretty please.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I give you the future! I give you. . .

BEEF!!! [​IMG]

(Who would win in a fight -- Beef or Rocky Horror?)

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Cool. I lent my DVD (UK Fox) to my younger brother the other day and he loved it. It's a fun movie and deserves a SE. I also wouldn't mind seeing a SE of Blow Out, too.

What else have Opening Edition released?

8. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Paul Williams has said that he and Brian De Palma once recorded a commentary track for a Criterion edition of Phantom several years ago.

This was originally to be part of a cult line-up of Criterion titles that was also to include Eraserhead and a few others. The only one that was actually released was De Palma's Sisters.

9. Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton Stunt Coordinator

Drool......5.1 sound....must have now.
    I saw this when I was 6 years old at the old Park Twin Cinema....that record pressing scene scarred me for life. Please let there be a domestic re-release for this 2 disc version.

10. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Has anyone bought this, yet? My friend in France saw it on the shelf and bought it for me... what a pal!... and it sending it over, but I just can't wait.

Oh, by the way, which forum do I post in to ask about region-free dvd players? Couldn't figure it out :b

Cheers!!

EDIT: The only features not listed that I wish were present are the discarded Criterion commentary and the deleted scene that was removed from theatrical prints early in the run: the full version of the pressing machine scene.

11. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I just recieved "POTP" and the documentary is excellent!!! The sound on the film itself also excellent. The image to me still looks a bit soft

12. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

This scene?

[​IMG]

DePalma says he removed it before the film was distributed, but I swear I saw this in the movie in 1977.

13. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I have a question about the R1 (1-disc) version of POTP (I didn't want to start a whole new thread).....

I was watching it the other nite, and I watched the included trailer which I found to be odd. The trailer sort of just abruptly starts and stops, there's no narration and no opening/ending credits of any sort. It's not at all like any of the trailers I've seen on YouTube.

Did they make a mistake?

14. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan

I've always thought this was odd, it's not a trailer at all, just bits of the film, that goes on & on. It's just a great movie (much better than "Rocky Horror"). I looked at it with headphones, all the songs are stereo, but the rest of it sounds mono.

15. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
  16. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I think what happened is that when they fetched their source material for the trailer, what they pulled from the vault was an edited base. That is, it has all the footage intended for the trailer, but no text, because this one base would be used for all the countries the trailer was to be sent to - the titles would be superimposed in English during printing, then they print a Spanish one with subtitles for the dialogue, then in French, etc. In short, they didn't grab a finished trailer, but nobody realized it until it was too late. Many MGM DVDs also have this situation regarding their trailers - they come straight from the negative with the text missing.

FWIW, I think I have seen this footage-only trailer, with finished text, on Joe Dante's TRAILERS FROM HELL site, with a nice commentary by Edgar Wright on it, so it was indeed used in theatres.

17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I'd have no problem double dipping for a BD. When I saw this was in the dvd dump at walmart a few years ago I did as understated a cheer as I could without drawing attention to myself. Happily replaced a VHS.

I adore this film and watch it every October. Saw it for the first time in the 90s but it's one of those I feel I've watched it all my life.

I agree it's much better than Rocky Horror. Both films have some damn fun song though. But PotP is just better.

18. Jimin70mm

Jimin70mm Auditioning

When I was young, I desperately wanted to see this movie when it came out in 1974, but my parents forbade it (along with "Tommy"). As a result, I didn't get to see it until "Phantom" played as a midnight movie at my local college theatre. of course, I've loved it ever since. Because I have an all regions code player, I had to get this dvd; the movie's presentation (esp. the soundtrack) I don't think is as good as the cheapie American dvd (although you have the choice of a French dialogue soundtrack, which is interesting). However, the extras are excellent! The documentary is quite fascinating, especially in regards to the "death records" logo/threatened lawsuit, the disgruntled music exec who was upset over Beef getting electrocuted onstage in the film because it mirrored the real life death of a rock star, and the end title song "The Hell of It," which was supposed to be a musical number during Beef's funeral (and would have made a fantastic scene). It's also great to see Gerrit Graham (Beef) again- he introduces the dvd (in French!). However, I think new extras could be created for an updated/bluray American dvd set. Here's hoping Fox will do it soon.

19. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    That's interesting- did they shoot any footage for that scene, or was the idea scrapped altogether?

20. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Right on!

I'm a huge fan of Graham. He's great whether he's Beef, the salesman in Used Cars or the dad on TerrorVision. [​IMG] One of my favorite b-movie actors.