1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

PHANTOM MENACE sounds a little low . . why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LouieT, Aug 4, 2002.

1. LouieT

LouieT Extra

Not sure if this question should be in this thread, but if anyone knows, please help. I just watched my Phantom Menace DVD again and noticed that the sound is super, super low, but my set-up is always the same. I have the Sony KDP65XBR widescreen TV, Sony STRDE1075 receiver, and I use the Malata N996 DVD player. Any comments on why the sound is like that? I use optical hookup for sound.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have to crank this one up pretty high as well.

3. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

And why is it that turning the volume up is such a bad thing? I never understand when people complain about a disc that a little soft. If you can't hear something just turn the volume up.
    And if all the HTFers feel that turning up the volume is still not enough then damn I should invest in Johnson&Johnson cuz we're all going to need hearing aids[​IMG]

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The phantom menace dvd is recorded at a rather low level. You can do a search on this topic for more information, it has been discussed at length. You just need to turn it up 5-8db louder than your normal listening levels.

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Yes-
    It has been duly noted here that the volume level of The Phantom Menace is quite low compared to standard reference level and must be turned up to compensate. I don't think this has anything to do with THX though.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm editing the original thread title ("THX sounds a little low . . . why?"), since the question relates to a particular title, not to THX in general.

M.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Not to side track the thread but hopefully all these little quirks will be ironed out with the EpII release. That said, yes, my dial is turned slightly above normal too but it still sounds great.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Has anyone bothered to measure the full extension of this title? The reason I ask is, it is possible that they reduced the volume 6db overall to allow 6 db more dynamic range.

On a typical Dolby soundtrack, you have about 30db of headroom above the level of dialog (dialog averaging -30 to -25). It's possible that someone at Lucasfilm had issues with this limitation placed on the previous soundtrack versions (theatrical/laser) and decided to lower the average level a touch to allow 35-40db of headroom above dialog for effects-- opening up some sounds which had previously been compressed or limited due to headroom extension limits.

Of course, it's possible it's just an error- but I've never personally tested the disc to see if the top 6db of headroom is ever used...

-V

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

As of tomorrow, are people going to be asking why Fellowship of the Ring sounds too loud? [​IMG]
    Dan

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

11. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Fellowship of the Ring can never get too loud :)

12. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

I'm afraid to do that a lot because when I turn it up too loud when the volume is low I'm afraid all the sudden an extremely loud part will come and blow my sub. I'm paranoid like that.

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Vince,

I had a friend in the audio industry explain it to me that way, so I think you're (as usual) very right.

14. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Vince,

Bjoern Roy did a graph comparison between the LD and the DVD of Episode 1, and determined that the mixes were pretty much identical when you compensate for the reduced level of the DVD.

From what the graphs showed, it did not appear that there were any softer or louder passages on the DVD.. the two tracks pretty much followed each other along in a linear fashion.

The only really notable exception was that the higher end of the frequency range showed a bit less roll-off on the DVD.. probably due to the higher bit rate.

Check out Bjoern's page for the details.

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I will check Bjoern's page- although I assume only key scenes were graphed. I'd like to see a full rip of the L/R channels and then do a peak search on these audio stems to see if the peak exceeds -6.

This will likely be something I'll try myself when I get my PC back up and cooking this week...

=V

16. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I had a same issue with volume when I had DefTech ProMonitor 100 speakers. I recently got B&W 7NT and CNT for the main speakers and found two things. First, I have to raise my volume by 8db on my Denon receiver to get the same volume level in overall; dunno whether is a satelitte vs tower speaker issue or what since they has very similar sensitivity ratings (91db vs 90db). BUT, Phantom Menace DVD sounds about same with only 3~4db up in volume.

17. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor