Phantom Menace LD vs DVD video transfer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien Montanile, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

While typing a reply in another thread, this occurred to me. I own TPM on DVD and wasnt all that impressed with the video transfer due to excessive Edge Enhancement(in comparison to all the pre release hype). How does the DVD compare with the Laserdisc. Is the EE prevalent on the LD as well?

-D

2. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

As i pointed out in my review, the EE on TPM is kinda special in the way that mostly vertical EE (at near horizontal edges) is present in the transfer.

The LD has exactly the same characteristic. The LD is a lot softer, of course, which makes the EE much less noticable.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've viewed the PHANTOM DENTIST LD on the following LD player's CLD's 79, 95, 99, Denon 3500, LD-S9, and HLD-X9. On the S9 and X9 the LD looks very nearly the same as the DVD. The colour is pretty much identical. The LD has a wee bit more lines wiggling, but not that much more. Lesser players like the CLD-99 or Denon 3500 yield good detail but come up a little short on the colour.
    I think the immense ammount of digital processing that went into this film drags the video quality down. I thought the pic was somewhat weak in the theatre on film.
    I question if this film could be remixed for DVD too much better? Best wishes for the new year!

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lewis, what player did you use to compare? I like the LD better because of the sound and because it's the original theatrical cut too. I doubt I'd like the LD better if I had a CLD-406 or 704 though...just curious?

6. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    My laser of it looks like the movie presentation and my DVD looks like the digital movie presentation. [​IMG]

7. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

The LD is the original cut?? What did they change for the DVD?

I have he LD and on my Marantz LV 520 the video is only OK. My monitor is a bit dated, TW56D90, which may have something to do with it. When viewed in Zoom mode, scan lines are visible.

Audio is among the best I've ever heard on a Dolby LD. (DTS LDs, IMO beat Dolby any day of the week....have not compared DVD DD and DTS)

8. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Rachael,
    I used both Pioneer Elite CLD-99,and Pioneer DVL-700.

10. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I saw it on the first day it showed in a one month old Edwards Theater Complex with state of the art everything...my son and I agreed it was very "soft" looking. When we saw it a month later at a theater with state of the art digital equipment, it was so crystal clear, it almost looked like high definition...almost. [​IMG]

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lewis, you'd be suprised how much better the LD-S9 renders SWPM over the 99. I've always made allowances for the digital processing in this film. I don't think it's the worst looking LD I've seen, or even close. Some of my really old LDs from the 80's really reek! I think alot of folks have unreal expectations of ths film because of the STAR WARS brand name. Best wishes!

12. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

While I agree with Frank, DVD does blow away Ld in picture quality, especially anamorphic DVD. There were some anamorphic LDs of which I own 4 (Free Willy, Unforgiven, Grumpy Old Men, Grumpier Old Men) which are spectacular and look almost as good as DVD...the Unforgiven Ld could hold its own with most anamorphic DVDs.
    It's a shame there aren't more of these. I would not have been so quick to switch to DVD....hmmmm sounds like another industry conspiracy [​IMG]

13. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

Rachael,

i agree 100% that the picture quality of LD can be significantly increased with the use of Jap. LD players. I haven't seen the X9 and X0 yet, but have seen the S9 several times. I am also familiar with the 79 and 99.

Systems i have played my TPM LD on:

- Barco 1209, Fardouja 3000, S9

- Nec PG9+, Quadscan, 99

The S9 on the F3000 is close to the optimum for the LD format. Still, the TPM LD is mediocre at best. Empire and Jedi (esp. the Ewoks chapters) are FAR better looking.

But not even the best LDs on those setups are close to DVDs through the F3000 or even a Radeon HTPC on my Nec XG.

And i am not only talking about the 'anamorphic' bonus here, LD also doesn't have enough color bandwidth to compare. And although greatly improved on the S9 and up, chroma and luma noise simply make LDs look like video instead of film.

I can see how LDs are still acceptable on a RPTV, though. They just don't do it for me anymore.

If it wasn't for the long distance, i would simply invite you over to show you these things from my perspective.

Regards

Bjoern

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Bjoern, I wish I could drop by! I'm not arguing that LD looks better, in general. That would be daft! I am going over to a local HTF member's home saturday to see a Barco set-up. I'm excited, I've never seen anything this nice before! I had my S9 & 99 hooked up to the top Sharp projector last year. That gave me a glimmer. After saturday I'll have a closer approximation to your view.
    People with average LD players would be more impressed with the DVD regardless of display, proably. My point is that STIR WARS PM on DVD is unable to break away from the LD to much of an extent. The LD and for that matter the DVD capture the film reasonably well. It didn't look sharp in the theatre either. I was really dissapointed in the DVD because the pic was only marginally better than the LD on my monitor. I'm stille not impressed with the DVD's sound. It sounds worse on both of my systems, compared to the LD, anyway...
    I've had a ball with my new X9, Muse decoder, and 13 Muse LDs. The X9 is only a little better than the S9 for NTSC discs, a few %. I wish I could bring over the X9. You'd be stunned by the FISHFACE (Okinawa Underwater) Muse LD. I don't think there are any DVD's that look this good. The colour and detail of the fish is amazing! This video was shot with a digital camcorder and looks better than any of the Muse movies.
    Some of the Muse films look better than the DVDs. Noteably, JURASSIC PARK, STARGATE, and CHAPLIN which are titles that I have. My Muse buddy Brian sez that A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT is the best one of all. My copy is on the way! My little Muse collection is keeping me occupied until we get some real HDTV or HD-DVDs, in ernest. Oh, I'm looking for E.T. , which brian sez is second to ARRTI, his discription "film-like".
    The X9 is an amazing player. It's other great attribute is that it's red laser sees thru dirt, skuffs, and rot. It will play almost anything. I do declare, I think you could load up a pizza and the X9 could play it. Disc "spots" are almot non-existent with it.
    In the future I plan on keeping a display around that will make LDs look their best. I may move LD out of my main system eventually, but I'll have something suitable to watch them on. How I wish I could drop by! Best wishes for the new year!