Phantom Menace DVD quiet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewW, Dec 30, 2001.

1. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed that my SW:TPM DVD is quite a bit quieter than my others. For instance, while watching my other DVD's at a loud volume, my receiver is set to -22 or so, where on SW:TPM I had it all the way up to -15...if I put it at that level on other DVD's it would blow my speakers or my house down (SVS[​IMG]). So, I'm waiting on a couple things for my HT before I calibrate "MY reference level"...so is there really a reference level if there's a difference of DVD volume?? Hope that all made some sense...I've noticed this on some CD's, bet never on a DVD..

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Theatrical reference levels are 85db. Many feel this is to loud for home theater and many calibrate to 75db for home. Use the radio shack sound level meter to calibrate to your preference. As for the phantom menace dvd, it is recorded much lower than other dvd's, for whatever reason. Check out the link below. It is to HTF member Bjoern Ray's excellent website. He has done a comparison of the Phantom menace dvd and the laserdisc.
    http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern....TPM/TPM_01.htm

3. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

Same here. I usually set volume to -17 for most movies, but for TPM it sounds good to me at -13.

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The voulume on the TPM DVD has to be cranked up about +5-7 db for it to be on par with most other 5.1 soundtracks. At that level the bass kicks ass! The only other title that has that has the low volume discrepency is the Untitled directors cut of Almost Famous.

5. Ralph Caceres

Ralph Caceres Auditioning

I have noticed this too but once the volume is adjusted the sound rocks! [​IMG]