What's new

Phantom Menace dvd EE observation (1 Viewer)

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
The first time I watched TPM on dvd I had just finished watching the Criterion edition of The Rock. I went through the menus and made sure I hadn't screwed something up. The EE on this disc is terrible. It's not a terrible transfer overall, but it's not great either.

As far as lack of resolution and "pastiness" in the transfer, I never thought TPM looked that great in the theater either. With exception to the duel at the end. For some reason this looks better on everything -- dvd, laserdisc, vhs, etc.

If what I saw of AOTC this weekend at Celebration II is any indication we are in for a visual feast on May 16th!!

David Judah

Screenwriter
What I find interesting is that Peter Staddon stated that no EE(or perhaps little)was applied to TPM. If you browse through some of the scenes, especially the ones without the green screen backdrops(like Anakin's house),there is little or no haloing around the actors or props.

Perhaps it is an artifact introduced by the special effects themselves that, for whatever reason, could not be removed without adversely affecting the over-all transfer. The effects are 'state of the art' and with the new technology, all the kinks might not have been worked out by the time the DVD was set for release.

Just a thought anyways--it would be nice if someone from ILM or someone who worked on the DVD could give us a little insight.

We might be blaming EE for the haloing when it could be a side-effect of another process. Of course, hopefully it will be recognized by Lucasfilm and corrected by the time Episode II is ready for DVD release.

DJ

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
hmm..david might have a point because there are definitely some scenes that exhibit no EE. It still wouldn't be much of an excuse because with all the money they poured into the effects and the authoring of the dvd, some of the junk in this transfer SHOULD NOT be there. I watched Sleepy Hollow and Seven last night, then threw in Phantom Menace and the step down in detail/overall PQ was stunning.

Oscar

Second Unit
Well, i have to be honest.

I took a closer look at my TV and there is edge enhancement that can get quite distracting.

From far it isnt so noticeable, since my TV is rather little in height.

But its a Widescreen HDTV.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
We might be blaming EE for the haloing when it could be a side-effect of another process.
It doesn't matter whether you call it EE or not. For US, it shouldn't matter whether it happened while doing the actual HD film transfer, the D5 to D1 downconvert or the actual MPEG encoding. For US, it also is irrelevant whether someone doing the transfer deliberately 'added' EE during the creation of the DVD, or whether one of the machines involved was responsible (which in the end means nothing else than that the machine developer is at fault).
In the end, it only matters that ITS THERE. And it makes the transfer subpar. And we want the issue solved. But they don't seem to be able to find what the problem is.
My anger is obviously not directed at you, David. Sorry for the rant.
Best regards
Bjoern

MatS

Screenwriter
the thing that really sucks is, it's not like this title is ever going to be done again on dvd :rolleyes

Oscar

Second Unit
Guys, i think you are exxagerating.
I mean i know, the edge-enhancement and the softness of the image are terrible.
But that does not mean is totally terrible!.
I mean look colors are vibrant,there are deep blacks.
I think i can give the transfer a :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Because the EE almost ruined the experience.
The audio is fantastic though.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Oscar,

read my review (on my homepage) and you will see that i mostly agree with you. Everything apart from the EE and the missing last bit of detail is just about perfect on this DVD. I would agree with a 3.5/5 rating and at the end of my review, i recommended to buy the DVD despite the flaws.

What makes us rant so much more on THIS particular title is, that:

1) This is Star Wars! They took their time to do it 'right' and had a HUGE budget to give us the best possible. They used THX to supervise the whole process. Yet its a flawed transfer!

2) Heck, i have DVDs from small independent Korean/Asian movies where the cost for the whole transfer, the equipment, the cost of the compressionists is probably in the range of a one day salary for some of the folks included on the behemoth Star Wars DVD project. Yet, the korean DVDs are 5/5 transfers without a single hint of EE or any other problems! I mean, how hard can it be then?

3) What makes me even more mad, THEY DENY IT. This is ridiculous. Not really surprising, though. If they would admit they screwed up, this would be a heck of a recall uproar.

4) Its THX certified. They actually pay THX to supervise this MAJOR title and they release a DVD with a SERIOUS flaw. That is exactly what usually should NOT happen if you involve a 'quality control' company like THX. Yes, there is a chance that the HD D5 master already had the heavy EE in it and that THX only supervised the actual compression. But why don't they have the power to demand a new film transfer then? I mean, does it state "sorry, we weren't able to use a HD master that didn't suck" on the DVD? No!

Best regards

Bjoern

Oscar

Second Unit
Yeah, i know.

That is pretty annoying.

Yet, i liked the transfer, it was very good.

But a let down, considering what you just said.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Whatever happened with that THX workshop thing or whatever it was, that was mentioned several months back? I thought it came up in the Van Ling chat after many people asked about the EE on Phantom Menace.

Ooops, Never mind. I now see that this question has already been brought up earlier.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Does anyone have the Japanese R2 version of TPM? I'm curious how bad the EE is on that one. Wonder if Roger Mathus is reading this thread.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What makes us rant so much more on THIS particular title is, that:
1) This is Star Wars! They took their time to do it 'right' and had a HUGE budget to give us the best possible. They used THX to supervise the whole process. Yet its a flawed transfer!
2) Heck, i have DVDs from small independent Korean/Asian movies where the cost for the whole transfer, the equipment, the cost of the compressionists is probably in the range of a one day salary for some of the folks included on the behemoth Star Wars DVD project. Yet, the korean DVDs are 5/5 transfers without a single hint of EE or any other problems! I mean, how hard can it be then?
3) What makes me even more mad, THEY DENY IT. This is ridiculous. Not really surprising, though. If they would admit they screwed up, this would be a heck of a recall uproar.
4) Its THX certified. They actually pay THX to supervise this MAJOR title and they release a DVD with a SERIOUS flaw. That is exactly what usually should NOT happen if involve a 'quality control' company like THX. Yes, there is a chance that the HD D5 master already had the heavy EE in it and that THX only supervised the actual compression. But why don't they have the power to demand a new film transfer then? I mean, does it state "sorry, why weren't able to use HD master that didn't suck" on the DVD?
Bjoern is 100% on target here. That sums it up in a nutshell quite nicely.
And yes, the R2 is much better in regards to EE; check out the companisons on Bjeorn's website. Which, incedentally PROVES it's not source-related but rather an INTRODUCED artifact. I wish the Japanese would put out their own R1 transfer and code with R0. Then we just might have a DVD worth buying ;)
-dave

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all! I am 1 hour into watching SW Ep.1 on FOX tonite in P+S and while the Film STILL makes me cringe, I am noticing virtually NO EE in the contrasty Tattooine Scenes!!!! Seriously. NONE! On the DVD, theses scenes are forcefield strength!!! :)
Now, I'm sure that Fox is using a 3/4" tape master for Broadcast, and perhaps since it IS fullscreen, the transfer operator, supervisor didn't feel the need to add any. Or it is some Mpeg2, digital phenomenon thing...
But tune in and check it out! Only 1 hour in!!!
Peace! D Mack

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all! I am 1 hour into watching SW Ep.1 on FOX tonite in P+S and while the Film STILL makes me cringe, I am noticing virtually NO EE in the contrasty Tattooine Scenes!!!! Seriously. NONE! On the DVD, theses scenes are forcefield strength!!!

Now, I'm sure that Fox is using a 3/4" tape master for Broadcast, and perhaps since it IS fullscreen, the transfer operator, supervisor didn't feel the need to add any. Or it is some Mpeg2, digital phenomenon thing...

But tune in and check it out! Only 1 hour in!!!

Peace! D Mack

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Me again, EGAD! Been a few months since I watched this...! I FORGOT how bad the kid playing Annakin is...!

Oh Well, Ep. 2 is gonna ROCK!

Peace! D

Oscar

Second Unit
Yeah i have noticed.
But it dosen´t look as good as the DVD in terms of color and everything that the DVD advantages.
Im also angry because i can´t believe how much is lost in Full Screen! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks