Phantom Menace dvd EE observation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i was at a hi-fi buys yesterday looking at some 16:9 tube's, when i came across the Panasonic 16:9 34" which i almost bought (didn't, but that's another story).

anyway, they had Phantom Menace playing through a progressive feed. I finally saw unequivically what people have been talking about - horrible halos, EVERYWHERE. Just to make sure it wasn't the tv, i asked if i could watch another dvd...they put in Starship Troopers, and it looked fabulous. Tried a few more scenes from the Phantom Menace dvd and it just didn't look clear.

Why did they have to ruin this dvd with so much EE? I'm getting a 16:9 delivered tuesday and hope not too many dvd's get ruined by EE with a bigger display than i'm used to (27", going to 38" 16:9).

2. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I really don't see it on my TV, and I have a 6 foot tall projection TV. Is it only seen on HD or widescreen TVs?

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Sean, I have a 58" rear-projection HDTV and I definitely can see EE halos in some DVDs, including TPM. But fortunately there are not too many offenders that are so bad as to ruin the experience. It does help you appreciate truly fine transfers much more though.

So don't worry, I think you'll be quite pleased on the whole.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    WAVING MY HAND AROUND(to use my Jedi mind trick)

"There is no EE"

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Hopefully, Episode II will be reference quality.

6. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I have a 40" widescreen set and I don't really have a problem with THE PHANTOM MENACE;indeed, it's one of the nicer looking DVD's I own. However 40" is relatively small and it may have obvious problems on a larger system.

7. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I have the halo problem but only if I don't use the progressive ouput on my Panny RP-56. On my PC with a Sigma Designs Netstream 2000 there is no edge enhancement effect either. Both are progressive scan though so perhaps it's just that?

8. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

It seems to suffer from the same problem that FOX's digital broadcast of the Super Bowl did:

Closeups look decent, but wide shots suffer from haloing. Now granted, it's much worse on FOX Super Bowl, but it's there on the TPM DVD. I don't know if it's technically EE that is provided after the transfer or what. But it IS distracting to 90% of those watching on larger setups and we want it removed.

9. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I have a 32" widescreen tube TV and my eyes hurt from EE when I pop in TPM. As mentioned, Starship troopers is reference quality.

10. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Good GAWD the EE on this title is incredibly bad! I cannot fathom not being able to see it on any kind of projection system, unless you have a really soft picture. Just for reference, I have a Toshiba 56H80.
    But for anyone just getting into a RPTV or FPTV, I would say it is pretty rare for titles to look this bad due to EE. Certainly not a reason to stay out of the big screen market, the rewards FAR outweigh the drawbacks. Very few titles have EE that is this garrish, and most titles that do have EE, it is pretty mild and ignorable.

11. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I didn't notice any difference in the EE in Usual Suspects going from a 27" WEGA to a 34" Toshiba widescreen.

12. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Does every REGION version of PM suffer from such poor EE?

13. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

While I do see EE on The Phantom Menace(mostly on Tatooine), I can't believe the fuss people put up whenever the subject arises. It's present, but it's not that bad. Folks, I have a 42" Toshiba RPTV, a Panasonic RP91 DVD player, and a Silver Serpent component video cable from Better Cables. The TV has even been ISF calibrated. To top it all off, I sit about 7 feet away from my TV, so if there is excessive EE in a movie, I will (and have) noticed it.
    The Phantom Menace may not rival the likes of Toy Story 2 or Shrek in the video department, but on a whole, the transfer is clean, the colors vibrant, and the detail in the picture is more than adequate. It isn't the best transfer ever, but it certainly should be good enough to not warrant so much disapproval.

14. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i think the such vocal disapproval comes from the nature of the film (it's a Star Wars movie, the first on dvd, and a very effects driven and visual film). Hopefully it's not the best of the new trilogy (thankfully it looks like this summer's offering should be miles better)...

i guess it's just very telling that this DVD seems to exhibit bad EE even on the smallest of 16:9 displays, like the Panasonic i saw it on. Like i said, i stuck another dvd in to make sure HIFi buys didn't have the set screwed up, and that dvd looked near HD. Put Phantom Menace back in, and it looked like everything was glowing in certain scenes...all high contrast edges had a VERY pronouncable "noisy" area around it. it really varied from scene to scene, which was even stranger. Some scenes were pretty good, but other scenes were wretched with EE halos.

Anyway, it's good to hear that a vast majority of dvd titles don't suffer the same EE fate than Star Wars did.

15. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

Mark,

16. Derek Bang

Derek Bang Stunt Coordinator

Terribly noticeable on a 40" widescreen monitor. Blech. The scene in the beginning of the movie w/Qui Gon and Obi Wan waiting to meet with the Trade Federation - EE everywhere! Looks like someone used a highlighter to accent all the straight lines in the room.

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

18. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    There is no doubt that TPM is nowhere near a reference transfer and still the number of complaints about it is odd.

Granted there is EE or noise present and the picture does tend to be soft. On the whole it is still a good transfer just not great.

Watching this and then popping in something like the The Fast and The Furious is a revelation though. The clarity of that transfer is unbelievable!

19. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

It's weird, but I have never been bothered by the EE on The Phantom Menace. I'm more distracted by two instances of excessive grain (like the sky during the first scene in the Jedi Council chamber) than any EE that might be there.
    I have also noticed that the only two parts that look great on the LD (the Pod Race & the end battle) are still the best looking scenes on the DVD. For the record, I have a 46" Mitsu. 16:9, a H/K DVD50 progressive scan player and Acoustic Research component cables. I sit 5 feet away.
    Just a tip: Perhaps if you guys watch the film rather than the halos, you wouldn't be bugged so much[​IMG]

20. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I sit across the room from my TV, which is like 15 feet. I never set up my TV, or any of the equipment to it. The TV was originally my stepfather's before he and my mom divorced. He had no where to put it, and left it at my house. I'm not really an electronics person, so I don't know how to get it all up to par.